Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MaKin
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

i know many aspies are said to have little sense of humor, a limited understanding of sarcasm, take language more literally and don't understand cliche terms, but are those affects of as all inclusive? i've got a reasonable sense of humor, i'm quite good with sarcasm (understanding and expressing it), i understand language in a way that i don't "get stuck" wondering meanings of a little figurative saying during most conversation, and i've even got a very decent intonation understanding in speaking with others. i do get into difficulty in ways in which things are stated, though.

is there such a wide variation in AS?

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

My research and experience leads me that aspies don't lack a sense of humor. We just have a different sense of humor, often based on wordplay and references. I don't find most people's jokes incredibly funny, but people do occasionally laugh at my jokes, so it works out. Also, it's hard to tell between nurture and nature on this. I know when I was a kid, I took most things literally, and was more of a stereotypical aspie. But now my meager experience and intellect has made up for it quite a bit. Even if I don't intuitively get it, I know what it's supposed to mean.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2012, 9:28 am

I'm sarcastic 24/7. It's unending. Don't hang out with me if you don't enjoy perpetual snark and sarcasm.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 9:47 am

I understand anything and everything -- humor, irony, sarcasm -- in written form, but none of it verbally. If a person wants to tell me a joke, they have to write it down.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:06 am

i do not understand many peoples humor. i do not understand what sarcastic or "tongue in cheek" humor is. i do not even know what "tongue in cheek" means, but i know it is a form of humor.

here is an example of a joke that i made up that was completely overlooked by the few people i told it to. i think it is funny however.

joke:

i have the worst luck!! ! last night i read the TV guide and it said that there was a movie called "station closed" that started at 3am, and it went for 4 hours until 7 am, and so i thought it would be an epic movie considering it went for that long so i stayed up to watch it.
i even bought some confectionery to eat while watching the movie.
but wouldn't you know it? my TV went on the blink just before the movie started, and i worked for 4 hours to fix the problem, and i guess i finally fixed the problem at 7 am, because my TV started to work at that time, but unfortunately the movie had just finished by that time!! !.

i find that joke funny but no one else has ever understood it.
whatever. i am off to bed.

i know that no one understands the humor in things like that that i say.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

A friend of mine is an Aspie and is very sarcastic. A little too sarcastic at times I think.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:21 am

I can be sarcastic but I often miss it from other people and take them literally.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:29 am

jonny23 wrote:
I can be sarcastic but I often miss it from other people and take them literally.

I had this problem when I was a kid and tween, but as I got older, I was forced to learn to understand it.

Tonydev
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Yes, I'm very sarcastic and enjoy humour.

I first suspected I was an aspie while at college, but the college counsellor dismissed it as he thought I had too strong a sense of humour.

Feel free to PM me, I like meeting new people online

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:33 am

Tonydev wrote:
Yes, I'm very sarcastic and enjoy humour.

I first suspected I was an aspie while at college, but the college counsellor dismissed it as he thought I had too strong a sense of humour.

Ah, gee. Stereotypes always help us, don't they? NOT!

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:35 am

b9 wrote:
i do not understand many peoples humor. i do not understand what sarcastic or "tongue in cheek" humor is. i do not even know what "tongue in cheek" means, but i know it is a form of humor.

here is an example of a joke that i made up that was completely overlooked by the few people i told it to. i think it is funny however.

joke:

i have the worst luck!! ! last night i read the TV guide and it said that there was a movie called "station closed" that started at 3am, and it went for 4 hours until 7 am, and so i thought it would be an epic movie considering it went for that long so i stayed up to watch it.
i even bought some confectionery to eat while watching the movie.
but wouldn't you know it? my TV went on the blink just before the movie started, and i worked for 4 hours to fix the problem, and i guess i finally fixed the problem at 7 am, because my TV started to work at that time, but unfortunately the movie had just finished by that time!! !.

i find that joke funny but no one else has ever understood it.
whatever. i am off to bed.

i know that no one understands the humor in things like that that i say.

lol, that's an awesome joke... How in the hell could that possibly NOT be funny?

Yeah, we do have a sense of humor, just like we do possess empathy. It's just that our sense of it is different, and we express it differently. Like, I don't think watching some guy getting hit in the balls is funny. Why? Because it hurts like hell, and I've seen it a billion times. But most NTs will laugh their asses off at seeing other people getting hit in the balls for some reason.

For the record, I have no idea wtf tongue in cheek means either, and I don't really care at this point. I have trouble putting things into categories, so I tend not to bother with such labels.

I do tend to be sarcastic and cynical a lot of the time, but I'm also very inquisitive, and for some reason it all combines to make me come off as confrontational or something. People think I'm being a smartass when I'm seriously asking questions to better understand the other person. I hate it. It's like nobody ever has ANY clue what I'm feeling or thinking. When I'm depressed, my girlfriend thinks I'm angry. When I have a blank look on my face, people think I'm pissed off or that something's wrong, I guess because I'm supposed to walk around with a huge grin on my face constantly, even though I don't see others doing it? I have no idea... When I was younger, my mom used to tell me to smile all the time, and people still do that s**t. It's like... Smiling is a reaction to the emotion of happiness. If I'm not feeling happy, I don't smile. Give me a reason to smile. TELLING me to smile does NOT give me a reason. If anything, it pisses me off more because it's not my job to show off the right facial expressions to make your stupid ass happy throughout my day. Screw you, if you want me to smile, then do something to make me smile. Otherwise, shut up and leave me alone.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

I've never met an "aspie" who didn't have a good sense of humor - odd for sure, but always sharp.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

Well, I do have sense of humor, though it may be a little particular sometimes. About sarcasm and jokes, I don't understand them(I understand things literally); but if someone explains me a joke, I may laugh, too.
But, I also heard about aspies that could understand sarcasm and jokes.

gretchyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 12:24 pm

I'm sarcastic, but I often can't tell when others are. If someone says something I'm not sure about, I usually say, "I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic," and they usually tell me. I think they think I'm stupid when I say that, but I hate not knowing...

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

I get sarcasm if it obvious, like if they wink and nudge you with an elbow. When I told my wife I thought I had problems understanding sarcasm she said. "No you don't, I'm sarcastic all the time". Honestly, I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about.