does anyone avoid mobile phones? especially smartphones

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ewm80
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2012, 9:09 pm

I've always gone out of my way to use the most basic mobile phone available. After the smartphones like iPhones and Androids came out, I have strongly resisted coercion to buy one. I occasionally borrow one from a family member for a few minutes if needed, but I refuse to get my own. My main fear is that I will become addicted to it. I saw an article on the news today saying that many people now have a phobia of not being near a phone.

I am also speculating as I have few friends and have never been really good with talking to people on the phone, that I am used to not having one. I always feel more comfortable talking to people by e-mail as I have a much longer amount of time to think about what I want to say. Finding the right words has often been a problem for me.

Is there anyone else that has similar situations?

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

I love smartphones, but not because they're phones; I love carrying a little computer with me that can do so much. And, as a bonus, they also happen to be phones, in case I ever need to use one. :D

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

I hate telephones. The only reason I have one is for emergencies.

As much as I hate telephones, what is even worse is if someone calls me on the telephone.

I used to have a land-line phone that had a switch to turn off the ringer. I'd turn the ringer off for as much as a month at a time.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm

The one thing I hate about smartphones is their abysmal battery life. I still have my Razr2 V8 flip phone that can last a good 3+ days before a recharge. When battery technology finally catches up to the rest of smartphone capabilities then *maybe* I will consider getting one, but even then I find texting to be easier and faster with the T9 method.

I hate talking on the phone unless I know the person on the other end well, but I like being able to send out texts to people on the fly whenever I need. I text much more than I talk on the phone.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2012, 12:10 am

I used to love my smartphone for texting, and keeping me entertained in dull moments. I've discovered a hell of Apps (which shall remain nameless) a little because I was using them but more because other people were. I've realized that in this day and age of technology, you never really can be 100% totally sure who you are talking to unless they are standing right there in front of you. It may sound a little paranoid but it's the bald truth. The people with good character are easy to keep up with, but the people who don't handle anonymity well are exhausting to keep up with or try to stay a step ahead of once they target you, or your phone, or just your phone number. I'm not phone phobic, but I'm seriously starting to think I don't want a cell phone anymore. We pay quite a bit for a service I barely use (sometimes I use it more than others, but recently not much) and it has caused quite a bit of stress lately. The provider really hasn't been all that helpful with the problems either, which I find ridiculous.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Sep 2012, 12:15 am

I actually am fond of cell phones, and smartphones. I love using them because they are very convenient to have when going out; I am kept abreast of the news and sports, but the battery life is one negative, yes, I will tell ya that.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Giygas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2012, 2:36 am

I actually refused to get a smartphone for several years because I didn't need one. Like yourself, the mobile phone that I used was for emergencies. Unfortunately, my phone kept on jamming on startup and it was now becoming a nuisance.

Even though I now have a smartphone, I'm hardly addicted towards it. I use it for accessing the internet when I'm out and about, but I rarely do that anyway.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:47 am

I have a really basic phone. Its a prepaid and I rarely use it. I cant justifie the monthly bill for a smartphone its not like I got anywhere or have anyone to call

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:59 am

I just wear clothing with titanium layers now

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 4:34 am

I avoid dumbphones because I hate talking on them. But I need a smartphone if I want to go anywhere by myself, as I'll never find my way back home without Google Maps. Also because I don't want to leave the house without access to the internet.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2012, 5:02 am

chris5000 wrote:
I have a really basic phone. Its a prepaid and I rarely use it. I cant justifie the monthly bill for a smartphone its not like I got anywhere or have anyone to call

This is true of me as well. I also really own one only for emergencies.

I hate talking on the phone and do it as little as possible, and when I do it's almost always because someone called me rather than the other way around (and if it's a number I don't know, I don't answer). So I hardly spend anything on calls or texts. I used to work in a high-tech environment where everyone would laugh at my decade-old phone which didn't even have internet access, but the simplicity of it suits me very well.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2012, 5:06 am

ewm80 wrote:
I've always gone out of my way to use the most basic mobile phone available. After the smartphones like iPhones and Androids came out, I have strongly resisted coercion to buy one. I occasionally borrow one from a family member for a few minutes if needed, but I refuse to get my own. My main fear is that I will become addicted to it. I saw an article on the news today saying that many people now have a phobia of not being near a phone.

I am also speculating as I have few friends and have never been really good with talking to people on the phone, that I am used to not having one. I always feel more comfortable talking to people by e-mail as I have a much longer amount of time to think about what I want to say. Finding the right words has often been a problem for me.

Is there anyone else that has similar situations?

I avoid them and I am more than annoyed by the fact that people tend to be busy with their smartphones all the time. It is even more impossible to interact with them than before, because they all have several electronic conversations parallel to the real ones and it is just irritating.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2012, 5:12 am

I just bought samsung galaxy s3. But I feel very tired with it and being very resistant to it. Everyone assume that I should have lots of fun with it. But, my purchase is merely an act to "normalize" myself to the social norm. Everyone here in hong kong got one smartphone...

You are sort of neurotypical but shows signs of autism. You probably enjoy intellectual activities more than socializing or maybe you enjoy socializing, but you aren't genius at it. You could be autistic, but may not be.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 5:29 am

little_black_sheep wrote:
I avoid them and I am more than annoyed by the fact that people tend to be busy with their smartphones all the time. It is even more impossible to interact with them than before, because they all have several electronic conversations parallel to the real ones and it is just irritating.

That's another reason I need one. So people don't approach me and I can avoid talking in situations where it's expected. If I don't have something in my hands then crazy NTs with their aversion to silence always try to forcefully make conversation.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

Jinks wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

This is true of me as well. I also really own one only for emergencies.

I hate talking on the phone and do it as little as possible, and when I do it's almost always because someone called me rather than the other way around (and if it's a number I don't know, I don't answer). So I hardly spend anything on calls or texts. I used to work in a high-tech environment where everyone would laugh at my decade-old phone which didn't even have internet access, but the simplicity of it suits me very well.

And the same goes for me. Ever since the emergence of smartphones, I have stuck to buying the most basic models of 'regular' mobile phones, usually prepaid. As you say, Chris, I don't make nearly as many phone calls or text messages for the alternative to be cost-beneficial to me.

I have very few contacts, so I don't have a great need to be linked into any online social networks. Owning a smartphone just doesn't make much sense in my situation.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 6:32 am

I have a smartphone. I use it for internet access when I'm out and about. And playing games.

I almost mistyped "smartphone" as "smarthphone"; obviously having one doesn't make you any smarther. :P

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I