Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2012, 12:26 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
When I'm depressed, my girlfriend thinks I'm angry. When I have a blank look on my face, people think I'm pissed off or that something's wrong, I guess because I'm supposed to walk around with a huge grin on my face constantly, even though I don't see others doing it? I have no idea...

I totally understand this...I go through the same thing!! 8O

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm

I'm always sarcastic. My whole family is so I've been bought up around it. What I don't understand is when people pretend to be angry or serious when they're really joking.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

gretchyn wrote:
I'm sarcastic, but I often can't tell when others are. If someone says something I'm not sure about, I usually say, "I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic," and they usually tell me. I think they think I'm stupid when I say that, but I hate not knowing...

I don't think they think you're stupid. I think NTs sometimes have trouble understanding sarcasm, too. In fact, there are circumstances where it's considered "normal" to not understand sarcasm. If you are speaking in a non-native language, or online, you don't have to be autistic to not understand sarcasm.

Well, that was repetitive, but I think I got my point across.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

emimeni wrote:
gretchyn wrote:
I'm sarcastic, but I often can't tell when others are. If someone says something I'm not sure about, I usually say, "I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic," and they usually tell me. I think they think I'm stupid when I say that, but I hate not knowing...

I don't think they think you're stupid. I think NTs sometimes have trouble understanding sarcasm, too. In fact, there are circumstances where it's considered "normal" to not understand sarcasm. If you are speaking in a non-native language, or online, you don't have to be autistic to not understand sarcasm.

Well, that was repetitive, but I think I got my point across.

Maybe so... I'm only talking about in-person situations in my native language (English), though. The worst is when they say "No," because then I can't tell whether or not they're being sarcastic about that, either! :lol:

apostolos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

I am sarcastic, but I cannot understand sarcasm unless I expect it. I think the cause is that, generally, I don't pay atttention at peoples gestures and facial expressions.

(I don´t have an ASD diagnosis) When I told to a friend of mine that I strongly suspect that I might have AS she said: 'You can´t have Asperger. You have a sense of humour'..

[There's a young stand-up comedian here in Greece who I think shows some autistic traits. During an online interview he wasn't making eye contact with the interviewer and he was fiddling with a bottle of water. Sometime he said "I know I have problems. I am autistic. No, I am not. I don't know, I might be." (he wasn't joking)]

LittlePuff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2012, 8:59 pm

DerStadtschutz,:

I feel the exact same way.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

gretchyn wrote:
Maybe so... I'm only talking about in-person situations in my native language (English), though. The worst is when they say "No," because then I can't tell whether or not they're being sarcastic about that, either! :lol:

If they lie to you about being sarcastic, they aren't being nice to you at all. In fact, they're being downright dishonest. Even if they don't know about your ASD, but especially if they do!