Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

I, more often than not, need a logical explanation for someone else's actions.

For example, a person living in my supported housing (I'll call her E) often makes me wait outside the bathroom when I need to go to the loo in the night, while she is brushing her teeth. It happened just now, so I said to her "why don't you brush your teeth in the kitchen sink? Then we won't have this situation again." She replied with "because everyone brushes their teeth in the bathroom." I said "I don't." She said "well it is tradition to brush teeth in the bathroom." I kept asking why and she couldn't produce an answer.

Very frustrating.

Does anyone else find such inadequate explanations frustrating?

Note: E is the polar opposite of autism, she is very neurotypical in her personality and mindset.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

I do although I have learned over the years that this annoys people so it tends to only be a big issue when speaking to people I'm close to and more myself around. My wife probably takes the brunt of this.

Alexithymia: 137

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:24 pm

Not always. There isn't always a logic to things so I would be very annoyed if someone kept asking me for a logic answer and the logic I gave wasn't good enough so therefore I won't do it to others if they can't give me one. With my short temperateness and anger, yeah I am a bad person for you to do it to. When I feel pressures or harassed, the anxiety builds up and the stress and I react to it and probing me for a right answer will do it. But usually I will walk away or slam the door in your face to get away and then go in ignore mode.

I just let it go when I can't get a logical answer.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

A logical answer is the only correct answer.

All else is irrational, emotional and/or chance.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

I may want a logical answer, but life has taught me to pick my battles wisely. The situation you engaged in would not be what I considered a wise battle. What is a wise battle then? It's one that is of real or dire consequence. Unless you have a serious medical condition that means you have to go to the bathroom immediately, then waiting a minute or two so she could finish is not going to hurt you. Remember that you likely have certain rituals in your life that make no logical sense to anyone on the outside looking in. This is true of everybody and for the sake of peace at home sometimes you just let them do these things without questioning them.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

although I don't need a logical answer I get a lot of anxiety if I don't get one, anxiety from thinking about all the possible logical answers that could be true.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

10 Oct 2012, 7:01 pm

Same with me. I also want straight answers with no curveballs thrown my way, on that note.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Drebi
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

Pertaining to most things, I do. However, I would never brush my teeth outside the restroom unless it were necessary (such as if I were camping). This is just because my mind categorizes many things and it has categorized personal hygiene with the restroom, nutrition with the kitchen, etc. Is it logical? No, not always but it's how my brain works. Although, I probably would have quickly rinsed, let you have the restroom and then just redid my process at a later time (my obsessive compulsive nature would insist that I did); unless I was almost finished, then you would have had to wait the extra minute or so. :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:09 pm

I usually in more need of support than I am, of a logical answer.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:47 pm

I prefer logical answers, but I'm learning I can't always get one.

Am I autistic? Well, it describes a lot of my disability. So does ataxic cerebral palsy and ADHD-PI. But really, all diagnosis' are a description of an oval trying to fit in a circular peg.

...I'm still learning...

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:50 pm

Yes. I always wanted logical explanations for everything. That's why I don't really respect authority. The answer "because I say so" never was enough for me. :)

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

There's a logical reason for everything, whether one wants to know it or not, say it or not, analyse it or not.

GetBusy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

I just posted a similar question, like you I'm logical and rational. Unfortunately I live in a society that is totally irrational. I agree with 'outofplace's' comment, it is about choosing your battles. If a boss wants to tell me 1+1 = 3 or that I have to wear a hard hat on a site that has nothing above me but open sky, then 1+1 = 3 and I wear a hard hat. I just think to myself "Wow, yet another irrational numpty !.". Getting involved or stressed about everything that appears irrational to us is a sure way of sending us more nutty than we already are. (apparently).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

An answer that's appropriate for the question - that's logical enough for me.

If I ask a question like, "How many people were there?", I expect a number in response; not a recitation of their names, what they said, what they were wearing, or whether or not they're sexually promiscuous.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.