Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 8:23 am

What are the symptoms of severe aspergers? For instance not being able too leave your house without having an anxiety attack when you come across a crowd or a large group of people.

Can you go from severe too mild in the course of your lifetime?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 8:28 am

the first question is unanswerable, too large a variation in ASD's

to the second question, yes, but often it happens in reverse as well, ie you get milder for a period then you feel stressed so it starts getting worse again.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:23 am

Probably when the conditon is crippling you. And when it resembles autism.

I would think that you can get better, I can't imagine it being impossible. Like, if you push yourself to cope with different situations and difficult input, you get to master it better.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:35 am

Do you mean like bad anxiety attacks crippling you

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

When the sound of a heater 2 stories below you kicks on and the subtle hum is recognized instantly and bothers you, when the random cars passing by seem like freight trains, when you're unable to buy groceries because the store's are too loud and bright and making eye contact with people is torture. When you have no friends, and stay at home constantly, stimming anytime you aren't doing your favorite activity, when you have panic attacks when phones ring, or when people give up trying to have a conversation with you because you've misunderstood them, AGAIN and they don't have the energy to explain what they said again.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:14 am

www​.sonichu.com/

See Chris-chan. At times I feel close to Chris-chan in social skill level.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:24 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
When the sound of a heater 2 stories below you kicks on and the subtle hum is recognized instantly and bothers you, when the random cars passing by seem like freight trains, when you're unable to buy groceries because the store's are too loud and bright and making eye contact with people is torture. When you have no friends, and stay at home constantly, stimming anytime you aren't doing your favorite activity, when you have panic attacks when phones ring, or when people give up trying to have a conversation with you because you've misunderstood them, AGAIN and they don't have the energy to explain what they said again.

Just wondering does getting bothered by feeling "short" and being ignord bypeople would that be a symptom of severe aspergers?

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:33 am

Jamesy wrote:
What are the symptoms of severe aspergers? For instance not being able too leave your house without having an anxiety attack when you come across a crowd or a large group of people.

That sounds like agoraphobia. People can be agoraphobic without being autistic at all(i think most with it aren't autistic), so i don't think that would be a good measure of severity... Because someone with very mild AS could also be agoraphobic. If the reasoning for not being able to go outside was severe sensory issues or something, then it could be.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:38 am

What are severe sensory issues?

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

I was quite severe as a toddler then learnt to adapt somehow.

Now I’m in my forty’s and would say that it’s mild.

If I became stressed in certain situations then my mind goes from mild to severe.

My mind is like a pendulum, it goes from one end of the spectrum to the other, my mind slows down.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

Realize that Autism and Asperger's affect our UNDERSTANDING on non-verbal communication, but not our level of social anxiety. While a great number of Aspies do have Social Anxiety, it's not what makes them an Aspie.

Also, sensory issues are when a sense is hyper or hypo sensitive. For example, hypersensitive hearing causes simple things like washing dishes to be painfully loud. A hypo-active taste sense would make everything taste the same without loads of spices.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

Jamesy wrote:

Can you go from severe too mild in the course of your lifetime?

I think that anxiety attacks develop and they are not directly connected to aspergers. You can manage anxiety, in principle.
And anxiety disorder is an own illness.

For me anxiety is for example quite related to being afraid of my future, which keeps spinning around my brain.
Then sensory issues get worse, too.

From that what you describe as "severe" and "mild" you can drop into it and come back,
even from day to day.

I simply don't know what to do with these unfair ratings I get everywhere.
And this really affects my life quite a lot.

If that wouldn't be the case then I'd be much better off...

If it is really so that the more you go into direction of more affected spectrum, the less you care about other people around you,
then I'd be tempted to say that if you have very light affection you'll come off as totally normal,
when you have this kind of tending to ignore the stupid NT's system,
but not enough to be happy with that
then you'll have a damn hard life
and when you'll feel comfort with being alone doing your stuff
it gets better again

I would see severe symptoms as the reduction of "working memory" further and further down.
Effects would be that you'd have more and more sensory issues,
but not necessarily more anxiety.

Alternatively you could think that you'll focus on more and more details the more you are affected
which is about the same result that you'll overload your memory

Anxiety is though really that what affects the quality of your life quite a lot.

I don't see though a direct connection between sensory issues and being afraid of crowds.
Even if you have sensory issues this does not always directly translate into fear/anxiety, does it?

(In theory you can, depending on the level of affection, freak out on sensory issues
but still not trigger directly into an anxiety attack).

To quite many things I'd think you can adapt.
Just to that
that others just see you as a crappy person
there is no real remedy.

You'll have to become more normal,
want it or not
and if you can't you'll have to accept being treated like an ashole.
Even if NTs know that you are an aspie that wouldn't change a f*****g damn thing
they'll still going to think you'll have to adapt
and possibly even ignore you completely after you told them...

More severe autism is probably to be more and more absent in front of other people
and also discarding a good bit of reality around you
and just think everything for your own only.

I don't know if you then can handle your life alone
You'll need to eat, you'll need to arrange things,
you'll need to not be knocked over by cars. And other stuff
gets more and more difficult.
Just as it gets when you feel bad, but more and more permanent

Any comments on that?

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 11:37 am

Autism Spectrum, everyone is different...

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

I don't think anxiety, sensory issues and stimming necessarily is some type of "severe aspergers". They are consequences of Asperger's, but not inherently connected (as far as what I have heard being said..). So if these are grouped as solitary problems, and maybe loneliness and stress can be put in this group as well, you are left with everything else you guys are saying. Mental problems/understanding/social problems/cognitive functions.. etc. Follow the strict, medicinal diagnosing criterias and multiply the severity, or think of the brain and the defects with this organ, and evaluate the severity (the neurology).

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 12:36 pm

I heard wanting too wear the same shoes is a symptom of severe aspergers

DressageQueen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm

when I was a child you could see the symptoms in a more exaggerated way. It is not that it get better with age, it is just we cope better w/ age. Like when I was a kid I was a picky eater, nowdays I eat the same food every day for months at a time. As a kid I took twenty minutes to get dressed b/c I didn't like the way it felt to wear clothes.. that never changed. Smells like perfume are very distracting even hypnotic.. fluorescent lights are the only ones that bother me, especially when coupled with bright white walls! As a kid I thought when you walk around a table one way you have to walk back the same way... kids will not know staring is rude, will seem "out of touch" with everything and everyone around them, they will give adults a blank steady confused stare as the adult speaks to them and will not understand the adults facial expressions but not for lack of trying/observing.

My mom and brother are AS too and they are so so much different than I am in so many ways and we all cope differently but something we all have in common is crippling anxiety.