Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

I am a terrible liar and I can't hold water on secrets.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:02 pm

I am not good at lying. When I was about five, I learned that lying could get you out of trouble, but it didn't work for very long. I would not be able to keep a straight face and even if I could get away with it, the guilt would bring me down. Naturally, I would never make it in politics.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 7:36 pm

I'm a bad liar, but I'm sure I could learn to do it. That's the thing--lying and manipulation is a social skill.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2012, 8:05 pm

I have grown into the opinion lately that everybody lies sometimes whether they realize it or not (even if not good at it), and everybody can keep secrets...some better than others.
I tend to lie and keep secrets "for the right reasons"...to keep a surprise party a surprise, to keep medical info private, to keep an innocent person from getting hurt, and last but definitely not least...to keep myself safe. I can lie. I don't like to. I consider lying too much work to keep up with to do it recreationally, and I get accused sometimes of doing it when I'm not. That's due to conversational pauses I think...I am not making stuff up (which is what liars are doing in the pause), I'm putting a sentance together. But the accusation seems to happen rarely these days.
I'm a little rusty at keeping secrets but I used to be really good at it (for good reasons).

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:04 pm

No. I completely suck at lying, which is why I don't even try. It also makes me avoid any sort of personal conduct that would cause me to have to lie. Odd though it sounds, I think I have probably made some better decisions in my life as a result of my dead pan honesty.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:39 am

I can lie seamlessly; all that's required is to say words, look the person in the eye, and make sure you keep your story straight.
I don't like to do it, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

Im really good at lying, but i dont like to do it, i think is because i started lying only to not be saw as a weirdo with the only purpose to fit in.

For example

I have disgraphia, and i always told my friends that i was a leftie and in the school they corrected me all the time and maked me write with my right hand, and that is why i have all those problems.

I suposse we all have a hard time lying cuz our anxiety problems, but as the same way that we usually learn by the time how to behave and to mimicry the feelings.
Some asperger that start lying at a really early age, become really good lyars, but still feel bad about it.

Giygas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2012, 9:31 am

I would also suck terribly at lying. I've heard that people lie on a regular basis. For me, this isn't the case. I very rarely lie to people, and if I ever did it would be for trivial reasons.

I don't see the point with lying most of the time. In the vast majority of occasions I've found that it's necessary to tell the truth, otherwise not doing so would have unexpected ramifications.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

I am an extremely good liar. I could probably manipulate psychology professors with my little finger. NT's are so easy...

Luckily, though, I am addicted to honesty. Otherwise I might be indistinguishable from a psychopath....

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

I can be very good at lying, but usually I really don't like doing it - I have fundamentally honest morals in life.

However, I'm also a really bad person and I've told some big-small lies in the past:

Basically, I've always seemed to convey a character of strength, resilience and independence, no matter what I was feeling inside. As a child I always saw how kids would look after each other if they ever fell and grazed their knee or something like that. If I fell and grazed my knee there was never anyone there for me. I would sort myself out. And in all honesty, that was my preference, but I still felt the void of having anyone to care for me occasionally.

So then, as a teen I was in a long-term relationship with someone who would turn out to be emotionally abusive, but at the time I thought he was loving and loyal. I had the same experience with him, that when I needed him he wasn't there for me, that I always had to look after myself. Which is where the lying started.

Continuing with the analogy of a grazed knee, I found that he would give me just a word of sympathy but no more. And so, if I wanted the care that I really needed, it had to be more than just a grazed knee - like a deep cut or a broken leg. I got into the habit of embellishing a lot of stuff that mattered to me simply to raise it to the level where I would get the proportionate response from my partner.

Doing this for 5 years changed me as a person. I started to become my lies. Eg. If I told him I had a phobia, which was actually just a fear, I had to become that person to make the lie possible and to make it work. In the end I'd effectively turned my fear into a real phobia just by thinking of it as such.

So my lying was never intended to harm anyone, but I guess it does constitute manipulation at the very least. I feel bad about it, not least because of how it's affected me. But at the same time, I feel he drove me to that because he did turn out to be a nasty piece of work. I never lie to my current partner in this way, but my current partner still has to deal with all the issues that I "created" for myself back then. I'm not sure my current partner knows this is how some of my issues developed, although I think he sees through me more than he lets on which is one of the things I love about him. He's such a caring person, I don't think I would ever have lied if I'd met him first.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

WillMcC wrote:
I am not good at lying. When I was about five, I learned that lying could get you out of trouble, but it didn't work for very long. I would not be able to keep a straight face and even if I could get away with it, the guilt would bring me down. Naturally, I would never make it in politics.

I learned the opposite when I was about eight. I was told that honesty keeps you out of trouble. Well I did something wrong one day and admitted it and I still got into trouble. I went right back to lying after that. I didn't think honesty keeps you out of trouble. Now I think I may have taken it literal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm

I am good at lying. I don't lie online when I'm sharing to others on here about different things et cetera, although I do sometimes throw little white lies in, but what I mean is I can lie if I need to, and get away with it too. Well, I always have gotten away with it.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2012, 1:19 pm

Atrocious. But, I don't see any point in doing it.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:29 pm

I don't like to lie unless it's absolutely necessary, but on the rare occasions when I do lie, I'm very good at it. I'm also good at forging other people's signatures too!

Coastt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

I am a terrible liar. I'm very uncomfortable with telling a lie, so I don't.