apparently I don't have Asperger's. So Bye Bye wrongplanet

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

Hi,
I were at the university clinic the day before yesterday where my AS diagnosis was being re-evaluated. They said I dont have Asperger's, which, is kind of sad because my life till now would only make sense if i had it. Their argument was that it's not possible that someone starts showing AS in teenage years and early adulthood with a rather lets say uninteresting childhood. So anyways, I think i have to accept that i have schizophrenia or whatever or maybe a psychiatric / neurologic illness / disorder / whatever that has no name yet or , guess what, whatever.

So i think i go back to crazyboards.org and stop spamming your forum.

Bye.
Omid

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

Even if you don't have aspergers, I know for a fact a lot of people will still accept you here. There is plenty of people here who have never been diagnosed with AS and think they're neurotypical but still post on WP!

And this is just one clinic that has told you. If it explains your entire life, then doesn't it seem just a little likely that just this once they made a mistake?

It's no need for the time to say goodbye.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

Well I have to agree that a failure to have AS should not mean that a person is barred from the wrong planet.

Here at the wrong planet we are very welcoming, anyone regardless of AS/NT state is welcome here. The only thing which gets people thrown out of the wrong planet are things like trolling / hate speech.

I want to repeat that we are not going to not going to chase NTs off the wrong planet with pitchforks or other garden tools / anything else we can lay our hands on.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:09 pm

AS doesn't appear in teens, it appears in early childhood. But you are still welcome here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

aspergers is something one is born with, however, if one is lightly affected and has coped with their symptoms, they might not know they have it. this does not mean that factors such as stress, and/or recreational drug use will not affect such a person so severely that their aspie-like traits seem to magnify to a point of seeming like psychosis or schizophrenia.
i'd get a second opinion.

also, please remember that wrongplanet has a section for schizophrenia, bipolar and other things:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum35.html

Last edited by MaKin on 10 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

because of my enviroment i had relatively few troubles during primary school, when i was expected to independendtly fit into the social structure sof high school i started having a lot of trouble.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

impulse343
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

omid wrote:
Hi,
I were at the university clinic the day before yesterday where my AS diagnosis was being re-evaluated. They said I dont have Asperger's, which, is kind of sad because my life till now would only make sense if i had it. Their argument was that it's not possible that someone starts showing AS in teenage years and early adulthood with a rather lets say uninteresting childhood. So anyways, I think i have to accept that i have schizophrenia or whatever or maybe a psychiatric / neurologic illness / disorder / whatever that has no name yet or , guess what, whatever.

So i think i go back to crazyboards.org and stop spamming your forum.

Bye.
Omid

Why do you think you have schizophrenia/other listed disorders? Was it suggested or diagnosed?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:42 pm

You're just as welcome as people on the spectrum. And it's nice to have input from NTs.

Alberto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2012, 3:43 pm

I'm no expert or anything, but from my studies in Development, it states that a lot of teenagers feel the way they feel because of hormones, but I imagine that if somone had AS already and was never diagnosed with it in highschool, then there feelings through highschool would be way different and will always stay about the same all through highscool unlike maybe some NT's who adapt a lot better. Anyone could correct me on any of this since I studied for not very long and not claiming to be an expert. I'm fine with a some help if I'm off.

For the OP, I know the tests you can take online are not official diagnosis, but for most they seem to be pretty good source to say if you might have AS or not. Have you taken any of them.

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

MaKin wrote:
aspergers is something one is born with, however, if one is lightly affected and has coped with their symptoms, they might not know they have it. this does not mean that factors such as stress, and/or recreational drug use will not affect such a person so severely that their aspie-like traits seem to magnify to a point of seeming like psychosis or schizophrenia.
i'd get a second opinion.

also, please remember that wrongplanet has a section for schizophrenia, bipolar and other things:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum35.html

This is EXACTLY what i believe about myself. I lived in a country where you can be quite non-social at school and the teachers and kids will be ok with it. You just have to sit there quietly and pass your tests and that's it. I got all the problems when i moved to germany and found myself in the middle of a system where you actually HAVE to be social. Like you have to participate verbally in class and stuff. You can read about this in my very first post on wrong planet here : http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4946037.html&highlight=#4946037

Alberto wrote:
For the OP, I know the tests you can take online are not official diagnosis, but for most they seem to be pretty good source to say if you might have AS or not. Have you taken any of them.

I've done ALL of them. AQ EQ SQ and another one i can't remember. All positive for AS. And I also did the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test at the clinic and it also came out that I have massive "preservation" or whatever (positive for Asperger's and as they said maybe schizophrenia). I've also did the Alexithymia test which came out massively positive in ALL fields (sexuality, identifying own feelings, identifying other's feelings and 4 or 5 other fields.)

impulse343 wrote:
Why do you think you have schizophrenia/other listed disorders? Was it suggested or diagnosed?

Schizophrenia NOS has been diagnosed by more than one doc. But I have never had hallucinations or delusions (ok i was a little bit delusional for 2 hours once but that happend after the diagnosis and it didn't need any treatment or intervention. just a nap did the trick). It's mainly based of the constant Derealization i have.

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:13 pm

this seems like the time for a 3rd opinion.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

Did you not have a lot of autistic traits in childhood, or did you have a lot of autistic traits in childhood without the lot of autistic traits being a problem for you?

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

you're not spamming the forum! dont say that.
i read some people on this forum saying they're nts and they still write here. no reason why you cant.
but i understand your frustration, though. to think you have aspereger and that you have an answer as to why you feel and act a certain way and think this is the answer to your questions, and then to find out you dont have it can be very confusing.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

you're welcome here whether you have an ASD or not.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

You don't have to leave. Quirky NT's who exhibit Autistic traits are still more than welcome to post here. :)

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

I see no reason to leave. If your issues seem to mesh with those of the other people who post here then you likely have something to learn and probably have something to teach as well. Heck, I post way too much on here and have no formal Dx. For all I know, all I have is ADHD coupled with social anxiety, OCD, pervasive interests, general anxiety, depression and a reduced ability to understand sarcasm, teasing and some body language for a completely unrelated reason. I may not even be diagnosable. Yet, no one has asked me to leave yet (and I hope they don't think I should but are too polite to say it).