Were you bullied in high school, if so, what was it like?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:40 am

School was like hell for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

I wasn't bullied as bad as others here, but I was mocked a few times. People used to come out with things like ''you worry me'' (in a nasty way), and, ''you're so weird'', and, ''get a life'', and, ''you're annoying'', and so on. I couldn't understand how people had the heart to say that to my face without a second thought, but would lie to someone who asked, ''do I look fat in this?'' :?

I was also teased when walking home from school. This made me look so stupid because I was in year 11 and I was being harrassed by two or three year 8s. They didn't pick on anybody else who was walking home, just me. They used to come up from behind me and whack me with something. Then one day I retaliated by pushing them, and then the next day they went and told the headmaster, and I got told off because apparently I was the older one and so was old enough to know better. I suppose that's why the little s**ts picked on me like that, because they knew they could get away with it.

But I didn't get truly bullied until I had long left school when I was 19. These bitchy girls who I clung on to for a little while (what I now regret) suddenly turned against me over silly things, and yelled abuse at me down the phone and threatened to beat me up if they ever saw me in their town again (lucky they didn't live in my town but I still had to go to their town to go to the jobcentre and to my voluntary job). And I knew they meant it because I heard they had beat up someone else before, so they weren't to be trusted. I had to get my mobile number changed. Thankfully they're not about any more, and I heard they kind of went off with perverted men and got pregnant. Good luck to them.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:15 pm

I was never bullied at high school. Infact I had the oppersite treatment to bullying by the fellow students had the odd name call once or twice but I used to laugh it off. The only real bullies were the teachers at my school.

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm

I wouldn't say I have been bullied, most of my bullying problems were people teasing me since I have a distinct nasal tone. But other than that the High School I went to was accepting for some reason.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

Well, one could definately say that I was a social outcast from the first to the 10th/11th class. I never belonged to the cool people, I felt foreign and unwanted. I wasn't systematically bullied, but most people didn't really make a secret of how they thought that I was weird. I got picked on about not looking/acting feminine enough and also about my "strange" hobbies (reading and writing instead of pop music and friends...) When I was "friends" with someone it was usually older people who were also considered as weird. In a few classes I was part of the "loser" clique.

Worse things went on in some of the holiday camps I went to. The worst was a 14 day vacation in Croatia. I had terrible homesickness for some reason and felt lonely and depressed the entire time, the carers didn't care and I had noone to talk to. And when I finally got home, I learned that my pet rabbit had died while I was away, and a few weeks later my father died. Needless to say this was the worst time of my life.

Also, in another camp before, a few older girls (the b*tchy kind that only cares about makeup) picked on me, called me boy names, stole my stuff etc.

I really don't know why I always went back to those camps. A few of them were good though.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

My ribcage is now permanently asymmetrical due to bullying. That's all I'll say.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

Here's my advice: make yourself so people like you when you're happy and joking around, but scared as hell when you're pissed. It sounds Machiavellian, but it works nicely.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Here's my advice: make yourself so people like you when you're happy and joking around, but scared as hell when you're pissed. It sounds Machiavellian, but it works nicely.

If I knew how to do that, I would. :D

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

Sanctus wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

If I knew how to do that, I would. :D

Just be joking around people that seem intelligent enough to understand your jokes and snap when people intentionally piss you off (not teachers though) and when people say dumb things say out loud things along the lines of "this is why we can't have nice things..."

People only prey on weakness. As an artist I have my notebook to share my insecurities with and a few close friends.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

I am either asthmatic or have a severe allergy to acetone or alcohol. My doctor isn't entirely sure, aside from my inhaler helping. Unfortunately it's albuterol and can cause serious heart trouble if overused. [I'm already having chest pain.]

So, naturally, every kid (who knows sprays set off my asthma) whips out a perfume bottle when I walk by.

They made the mistake of doing it in front of my [AP] US history teacher, who is related to me. And they didn't keep their mouths shut until she was out of earshot.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but apparently she had security guards interrogate everyone. They probably all lied, but it's a start.

I've gotten to a point where I'm a little afraid to go to school. It people would go the old fashion route and punch me, I could go all black-belt ninja on them and it would end, same way it did for my Grandpa, my uncles, and my older brother. But they're not, and if I instigate I'll be expelled and it won't matter if people are bullying me anymore.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

Like this: LEARN IT!

In baby steps:

#1 Don't cry or move too much if you are being teased or bullied. Be still, stone faced.

#2 Don't talk too much with the person who slandered you or teased you in the past. People don't change. Their DNA code won't change anytime soon. Even if time has passed, they are the same garbage underneath. Avoid them.

#3 Mumble something when someone you don't like is staring at you. Or seems to be talking about you. Not with a smile. I even mumbled "f**ck you" when a woman I disliked was staring at me like I didn't belong in that area. She stopped bothering me.

#4 The least you talk the better. A shaky voice, saying something that may sound funny to the bully or teaser is NOT good.

#5 For every action, you should have an opposite reaction. If he slanders you, slander him. If he tries to gain your trust, try to gain his. If he lies to you, lie to him. If he pretends to be your victim, pretend to be his victim, and so on.

#6 Try not to fight the bully. Notice that NTs rarely fight, unless they are in the ghettos. They talk about how many fights they have had, but it is all lies. People are liars. Learn that.

#7 If you have to fight, go for the weak spots. Hit as many times as you can, perhaps even before the person is ready. Aspies are clumsy, so they have to be fast, or they will end up on the floor unless they get rid of that other person first.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

I was bullied much, much less in high school than I was in elementary school. For starters, there were way more people and I wasn't stuck in the same room all day with the same group of kids, so my quirky behaviors were less likely to be noticed. There was a group of popular girls, most of whom bullied me during elementary school, whose attitudes changed towards me. They began to see me as resourceful and began asking me to help them during assignments.

However, there was a group of boys, one of which I had an obsession with, who loved to playfully tease me, asking who I liked, etc., and at the time, I found playful teasing frustrating to understand and they knew this, so I'd label this as mild bullying. When they found out I liked said guy, this shifted to full-on bullying, with the guys teasing me constantly for about a year.

During my last year, I had much more distance from the immature kids as I took the more rigorous university oriented classes and the kids in the groups I mentioned mainly chose college/workplace courses. By the end of high school, I floated between a few groups of people who accepted me for who I was, and I'm still connected with some of those people today.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
High school was actually the one place people left me alone in school. I scared the sh** out of them so much they were afraid to try anything.

The damage done in elementary/middle school is bad enough, however.

Lucky. :(

People think I'm going to come shoot up the school one day. They even have several betting pools about it.

Yet they still harass me.

I don't get it. Not at all.

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

I felt more bullied in cyberspace than how I was bullied in the school world. It's not surprising though. I was mocked for my awkwardness.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
Like this: LEARN IT!

In baby steps:

#1 Don't cry or move too much if you are being teased or bullied. Be still, stone faced.

#2 Don't talk too much with the person who slandered you or teased you in the past. People don't change. Their DNA code won't change anytime soon. Even if time has passed, they are the same garbage underneath. Avoid them.

#3 Mumble something when someone you don't like is staring at you. Or seems to be talking about you. Not with a smile. I even mumbled "f**ck you" when a woman I disliked was staring at me like I didn't belong in that area. She stopped bothering me.

#4 The least you talk the better. A shaky voice, saying something that may sound funny to the bully or teaser is NOT good.

#5 For every action, you should have an opposite reaction. If he slanders you, slander him. If he tries to gain your trust, try to gain his. If he lies to you, lie to him. If he pretends to be your victim, pretend to be his victim, and so on.

#6 Try not to fight the bully. Notice that NTs rarely fight, unless they are in the ghettos. They talk about how many fights they have had, but it is all lies. People are liars. Learn that.

#7 If you have to fight, go for the weak spots. Hit as many times as you can, perhaps even before the person is ready. Aspies are clumsy, so they have to be fast, or they will end up on the floor unless they get rid of that other person first.

That's what I've been doing...often taking the slander to further levels to the point they are afraid of where it will go. Again, it is Machiavellian, but clearly it works for me.

I second this list.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I was also teased when walking home from school. This made me look so stupid because I was in year 11 and I was being harrassed by two or three year 8s. They didn't pick on anybody else who was walking home, just me. They used to come up from behind me and whack me with something. Then one day I retaliated by pushing them, and then the next day they went and told the headmaster, and I got told off because apparently I was the older one and so was old enough to know better. I suppose that's why the little s**ts picked on me like that, because they knew they could get away with it.

There was one little twerp who used to pick on me all the time. He was two or three years younger and much smaller. I guess he just had a big chip on his shoulder from being so small that he looked for someone to pick on. It was clear that if I did anything in retaliation, I would get in a lot of trouble and would be told to "pick on someone my own size".

That problem resolved itself when he fell over dead from a heart attack one day. In retrospect, it's a good thing I didn't retaliate because it turned out that he had a very serious heart problem that had apparently gone undetected and if we had gotten into a fight, I might have killed him accidentally.

Nearly the entire high school went to his funeral. I didn't like the twerp and saw no need at all to go to the funeral. I was just happy he wasn't around any more.