Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:22 pm

Hi:

Well, I think you will find out how you like it only by going. But, for me, I have figured out to get an aisle seat with lots of room for my legs and space to breathe. If I have to get up and go, it is far easier than smooshing past a right row. Mind you, I am not so young anymore. You won't find me standing up or sitting where others stand so I look at their butts the whole time. I have sat near the front but what feels like eye contact from the performers makes me really uptight. One celeb came into the audience and I could not have done much for his ego as everyone in the crowd was reaching for him and I was freaking out that he would come near me and I did everything I could to let him know: "NNNNNOOOO!!" The big bass speakers feel like they are messing with my heart rhythm and I get very uncomfortable.

This sounds bad, yet I will still go once in a while to a concert. When I am really excited about a band or performance, it just feels right to go come H*** or high water! It takes me a few days to recover, but this is not something I do often, so I figure it is worth the aftereffects. Know yourself and plan as best you can. Do you mind being sandwiched between people or do you want to position yourself for space? Are you driving? Will you wait for the crowd to clear and then go or plan for a fast get-away. Do you like to have food in hand or do you need to go to the bathroom frequently? The organizers/tickets sales can help you out with a plan. One thing I just thought of myself - there's usually disabled seating. Hm - I wonder if I can get in that section? Anyways - I'd say go and plan to have fun. You won't know until you do it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:29 pm

I suppose if such is your special interest, you'll find a way.

Otherwise, I don't see how it'd be pleasant for anyone with an ASD (or the more extreme introverted types who are more sensitive to sensory inputs).

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

I have enjoyed every band I've seen live except for Devil Wears Prada (how Dark Tranquillity had to open for them is beyond me, should be reversed.) The time in between can be a bit annoying as there are many drunks and it is quite crowded, but if you stay off to the sides you should be fine. Concerts are quite fun...but make sure you like at least half the bands there. I once went to a show because one band I liked was opening...the rest didn't hook me whatsoever, so I was underwhelmed afterwards with long pauses between bands.

Edit: also mosh pits suck. I do like the area at the far end where it's a bunch of people jumping though, that's always fun. Sadly they don't always have those.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Last edited by SanityTheorist on 17 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

It depends and I have gone to live concerts that are held outside on the beach or where I have sat towards the back outside, and it was fairly entertaining and not overpowering. On the other hand, I have been to a bar or club where the live band was unbearably loud and I could almost not stand it.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

I went to a live concert (pop concert) - not including the symphony/classical music concerts-only once....it was horrible....it was way too loud, way too crowded and everyone was standing and jumping which freaked me out and I couldn't even see the band because I'm short and tall people were standing in front of me! (I was 13 almost 14 at the time). Also the smells....the body odour of so many people mixed with food and drink smells............ it was so yucky(why is there no disgusted expression in the emoticons?). I told my mom afterwards that I would never go to a concert again and I didn't understand why people went to concerts when they could just buy CD's (it was the olden days) and listen to music at peace in their own home at their own volume.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

I went with my siblings to see U2 back in the 90's. It was during the tour they had the giant lemon on stage that they would jump out of.

I remember being okay about it. I was maybe 13? 14? at the time. It was too loud though. Same problem as movie theatres. Volume level is always too high. There was also one spotlight on the stage that seemed to be pointing directly at my area of the stadium, straight into my eyes.

Have not been to a live concert for rock music since. If I were to go again, I would take a pair of earplugs and also some sun glasses to keep the light and volume from being overwhelming. I enjoy jazz and classical music concerts more. Acoustic instruments only and usually not run through a PA system. Quieter crowd that stays seated. I like that better. Went to see Liona Boyd once. She is a classical guitar player. It was 2 hours of just her alone on stage sitting in a chair with her guitar. Very impressive.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm

daydreamer84, part of the concert is to get immersed in the music and let the rhythm move your body. I am perfectly fine with jumping at concerts. What I don't like is people yelling over soft parts of songs (like when I saw Hurt live) or mosh pits.

I like moderately loud concerts so i can drown everything else out, but not so loud that it is painful.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

elf_1half
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2012, 7:15 pm

I've gone to a few concerts and they can be fun. If you like the music and if the audience isn't too drunk/rowdy it should be okay. The first concert I went to was a symphonic metal concert. The guy I was with wanted to stay in the mosh pit, just walking through the mosh pit pre-concert stressed me out so I ended up sitting in the back by myself, but I quite enjoyed it. I only really had one bad concert experience, I was working as an usher at my university and it was some really loud band I had never heard of. At one point they made me stand near the stage and I didn't have ear plugs, it was so loud I wanted to cry. Like, you could FEEL the ground shaking from the vibrations. But if you're going to a band you like, and have control over where you sit, you should be okay...

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2012, 8:04 pm

I like the idea that you can see people perform that you really like, but I HATE loud noise. My first and only concert was at a venue that my parents said "always had audio problems," as in it was too loud.
And they were right. It was really loud and I was very close and so I didn't enjoy myself.

I also found it rather boring. I was resentful of the volume (God, I sound like an old woman), the fans weren't the best, and I honestly didn't like it. It could definitely be different for you though, these are just my opinions.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2012, 9:13 pm

Find a spot you feel comfortable in. For me personally, is front row sides.
Front middle draws too many rowdy people whose either a)drunk/high b)loud c)in large groups d)tries to squeeze in so they can see the band closer

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I plan to go to a live concert next April. It's rather calm music (well, not Death Metal at least) and I think most of the fans will be intelligent enough not to scream around the whole time. Still I wonder if that's really something for me. I mean, I hate being in crowds.

Have you been on a live concert and can tell a little about your experiences?

Sometimes I like going to live concerts because I can zone out and listen to the music. This being said, I rarely buy floor tickets because of the proximity of everyone else to myself, but I did see Bob Dylan a week ago and it was lovely being able to just sit and watch him and ignore everyone around me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:59 pm

I'd give a week's pay to see Eithne "Enya" Ní Bhraonáin live in concert; twice that if I could perform with her.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 10:02 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I plan to go to a live concert next April. It's rather calm music (well, not Death Metal at least) and I think most of the fans will be intelligent enough not to scream around the whole time. Still I wonder if that's really something for me. I mean, I hate being in crowds.

Have you been on a live concert and can tell a little about your experiences?

Ive been to two open air concerts (rock/modern music) and it was absolute hell for me.

On the flip side, I've been to ten theater/opera/classical and medieval music events that took place in auditoriums and such and it was pure joy.

I guess its the people screaming like jackasses that ruins the experience :twisted:

KinetiK
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2012, 11:30 pm

Going to concerts is a special interest of mine! I just saw Godspeed You Black Emperor this past weekend (incredible) and am going to a music festival in 2 weeks. On average I see about 2-3 concerts a month. I love everything about it.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 12:02 am

I've been to a handful of concerts, but they have been for folk or country music. I could never survive a rock concert as that leaves me no room to thing and i would go bezerk.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 12:15 am

I've been to a couple of rock concerts; I didn't really enjoy either of them, even though I was a fan of the bands playing. Too loud, I have to stand the whole time...bleh.

I went to some playoff baseball games last week, and it was really loud in the stadium from the crowd noise, but that didn't bother me so much--maybe because I was generating some of the noise. The thing that bothered me most was the PA system blaring into my left ear.