Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2012, 5:04 am

I have heard that people on the spectrum have difficulties regulating emotions because we aren't as good at recognising that they are there, and that we are not good at identifying what the emotions are.

I feel a bit different to this...

I feel so overwhelmed and so controlled by my emotions, even if I CAN identify them, that I just get stuck with them. Like once they are there, they just jump around, trapped in my body, with no way to escape. The more intense they are, the worse it is - I get so stuck with them and don't know how to disperse them. They completely overwhelm me!

Even more mild ones. They stick around and stick around and I just can't shake them! I have too many things to do to get stuck with these. Often it takes a lot of time, and time out, or eating, in order to have them slowly fade away, and I have so much to do, I just can't afford this.

I am a highly sensitive person - sensitive to sensory stimulation, sensitive to criticism, sensitive to internal feelings, sensitive to viruses *sigh*

Anyone have any advice/similar experiences?

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my emotions... It's a bit contradictory. Some things hit me hard and make me extremely emotional, and obsessed about what I'm feeling. Like you said, I can't shake it, and I can be very confused. It clouds my thoughts. I've learned not to try to fix it, sort it out or understand it on the spot. I need to sleep on it. Let time pass, so it settles itself on its own. I don't know if I express it well - english is not my first language.

I first said it's contradictory, because, very often, these emotions I don't feel, or maybe it's because I don't aknowledge them, when what's causing them happens. It hits me later. Hours later, or days if it's something really big. And another strange thing is that, if it's really too overwhelming and I can't cope at all, it's like the emotional switch goes off for a while and I become emotionless.

But also, my reactions might be different, depending of how I feel and what shape I'm in... I'm way too sensitive too, and while I can't always control my environment, I can make myself more resistant and resilient by taking good care of myself : eat well, sleep well, exercise, meditate (or in my case, play a music instrument, which is very similar to meditation)...

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2012, 11:06 am

Over here!

Can't really disperse my emotions although I know what it is called.
When I'm sad or angry I just can't stop feeling that way. It goes on forever. I'm told to think of other things, but it doesn't help me at all. My emotions overwhelm me. I'm very sensitive. I can cry for hours due to something that bothers me.

I hope I didn't get the question wrong. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

My emotions are out of control. I'm as good as detecting my own emotions as anyone else, but that doesn't mean I can easily control them.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

I do usually do better if I have been successful enough to eat well, get enough sleep, etc beforehand, but that isn't always easy to accomplish when you have so much on your plate.
I think this is why I have to be such a "control freak" with my life and environment, because I know that if things go wrong, I will be stuck with these ridiculous out of control, overwhelming, not-able-to-do-anything-functional emotions swirling around inside me!!

I just hate it when it gets to that point because I can't get rid of them until I have indeed slept on it, taken a huge amount of time out, eaten bad food (not good when you are on a diet!!)...

I guess I know the best ways to live my life to stop these things from happening, but things can still go wrong, and I don't know how to fix it efficiently when it does :(

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this!