Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2012, 9:48 pm

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here has tackled this issue of having dyspraxia. Being execrable at biking, driving, walking in a crowded space, bruising elbows in the shower against walls, and not being able to cross streets without spacing out and a guy screaming 'watch it!'. Causing piles of stuff to spill... everywhere, burning food as it cooks. It's a real problem, and I'm wondering if folks here have a solution similar to social skills training or ABA for behavior, or a medication. (ADHD meds don't help with this for me.) It's really getting on my nerves, embarrassing and simply immature to the core. Anything?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm

I use a timer when cooking,but as far as help for tripping over your own two feet,let me know if anyone can help with that.I'm the clumsiest person I know.I trip over sticks,cracks in the sidewalk,shoes,you name it.It's embarrassing,girls are suppose to be graceful.Once I even caught the t.v.remote on fire.And as a kid,constant E.R. trips,broke nose,arm went thru French door glass,etc.You get the idea.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm

I'm pretty clumsy because of my ataxic cerebral palsy. Taking tae kwon do helped me to control my body. Physical therapy might help, too.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 2:29 am

I've always had this "clumsiness" problem as well, just as severe as you describe, but I seem to have finally found the solution: Tai Chi. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to do it because I didn't think I could copy the movements with such poor body awareness, but my teacher says I'm learning faster than any student he's ever had. It feels SO GOOD and after practicing for just a week now (practicing every day, usually several times) even just with the little bit I know so far (it takes a long time to learn all the positions), I already feel a difference in my movement. I haven't dropped anything, walked into anything, stubbed my toes, broken anything, or even felt pushed and shoved on public transportation like I always did before.

I don't know if everyone would experience the immediate results I have, but if you can find a class in your area, try joining it. It doesn't have to be Tai Chi - I'm sure any type of martial arts would have a similar effect - but this particular exercise has been so incredibly effective and helpful for me that I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to control their body.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 3:55 am

emimeni wrote:
I'm pretty clumsy because of my ataxic cerebral palsy. Taking tae kwon do helped me to control my body. Physical therapy might help, too.

Ballet classes would likely help, especially with balance issues.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:02 am

There are treatments for adults with dyspraxia, but they are few and far between. In the UK non-existant (unless you travel to da land of the Wales and pay £600+). I would agree with the Tai chi idea because it is much slower than martial arts (although I have heard of people improving coordination through Tae Kwon Do as well). I found Yoga helped a bit, but it's important to go to a class where the teacher is aware of your difficulties so that he/she can adapt the lesson for you. I totally understand how embarassing it can be to have dyspraxia. I describe it as 'being able to see physically but still bumping into everything!' Heck at one point I even went out with a white cane because it stopped people yelling at me! I don't do that any more though. My dyspraxia is so severe (plus mixed with Tourettes) that I even have to wear a helmet and knee pads as I fall over a lot! It drives me mad!

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2012, 6:06 am

I am terribly clumsy too, and I find it very difficult to stand on one leg. I found that Pilates helped me discover (and exercise) a lot of strange, small muscles I never knew I had, so now standing on one leg has become easier.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

Yes I will try some ballet and tai chi as well. That sounds like a great idea. Hopefully those of you who also have dyspraxia issues can try some of that and we will see if we get better together:)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:26 am

EsotericResearch wrote:
Yes I will try some ballet and tai chi as well. That sounds like a great idea. Hopefully those of you who also have dyspraxia issues can try some of that and we will see if we get better together:)

I need some money first :lol:

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

clumsy delux

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

21 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

Yes, I can be this way. I dunno there was a name for this condition! Thanks for enlightening me. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:03 pm

I'm not clumsy as in always spilling a drink or dropping things or knocking things over. I'm more clumsy in other ways, like always standing in the wrong place, which is why I am always in everyone's way in shops. It's like I'm unsure where to stand, and if I do find a place to temporarily stand, I find I'm still in the wrong place, even though I thought I wouldn't be. And I'm constantly looking around me to see if anybody's going to want to get to where I'm standing in a shop, so it's not like I drift off into my own world and become completely unaware of what's going on around me. But I still manage to get in a person's way. I have now learnt that it comes from being clumsy.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not clumsy as in always spilling a drink or dropping things or knocking things over. I'm more clumsy in other ways, like always standing in the wrong place, which is why I am always in everyone's way in shops. It's like I'm unsure where to stand, and if I do find a place to temporarily stand, I find I'm still in the wrong place, even though I thought I wouldn't be. And I'm constantly looking around me to see if anybody's going to want to get to where I'm standing in a shop, so it's not like I drift off into my own world and become completely unaware of what's going on around me. But I still manage to get in a person's way. I have now learnt that it comes from being clumsy.

Yup. I'm more like that too. :roll:

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2012, 5:23 pm

I think I have a mild case of dyspraxia. As child I had two serious accidents bumping into two unwieldy objects I didn´t notice (a swinging swing and sheet of glass). Unlike many Dutch people, I can't ride a bike (never mind a car) without being exceedingly nervous and frankly, I'm a traffic hazzard. I can't judge distances and speeds very well. I've had a lot of scolding thrown at me, because I didn't notice a vehicle coming and when I *do* notice it, I freeze. I habitually find stains of coffee and food on my clothes and floor without having the slighest idea of how they got there. I also trip over things regularly. Half of my family is like that, and I've grown up learning to accept it, but other people sometimes get annoyed with me.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 6:59 pm

eric76 wrote:
Ballet classes would likely help, especially with balance issues.

Or really, learning any skill that requires a lot of balance helps with balance issues. :-P

Joe90 wrote:

I'm clumsy in both of the ways you've defined. :roll: