Page 5 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 6:09 am

I have contamination fears due to OCD so I have three showers a day and my hands are red from repeatedly washing them with antibacterial soap. I am extreme with hygiene.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have contamination fears due to OCD so I have three showers a day and my hands are red from repeatedly washing them with antibacterial soap. I am extreme with hygiene.
i have ocd issues too and with some things im paranoid and super hygienic but with others i falter. I really need a shower....

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm

I had worse issues as a child/teen. But all through my working life I was fairly scrupulous about hygiene. Now that I'm retired and don't go out that much I'm not as scrupulous, but if I start to think I look or smell bad, I do something about it, and I really would like to keep as many of my teeth as I can.

hey_there wrote:
hanyo wrote:
I think I take longer to feel dirty than other people.
Same here! :)
I seem to have the same experience. But I don't exercise as much as I should. When I do, then I have no choice but to shower more frequently. Even if I didn't care about smelling bad, I get skin irritation from my sweat.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

BlueAbyss wrote:
I had worse issues as a child/teen. But all through my working life I was fairly scrupulous about hygiene. Now that I'm retired and don't go out that much I'm not as scrupulous, but if I start to think I look or smell bad, I do something about it, and I really would like to keep as many of my teeth as I can.

hey_there wrote:
hanyo wrote:
I think I take longer to feel dirty than other people.
Same here! :)
I seem to have the same experience. But I don't exercise as much as I should. When I do, then I have no choice but to shower more frequently. Even if I didn't care about smelling bad, I get skin irritation from my sweat.

Me too! I'm at home right now all day and don't have to go to work so I may not wash myself for as long as 10 days unless I do go somewhere like to the store for shopping or stuff like that, but that's not often. After so long you would expect anyone to smell really bad, but I don't even smell really. I'm lucky like that. But when I do start working I'd like it to be something I can do from home, so my hygiene habits probably won't change.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

I hate brushing my teeth and I hate having strip washes under my arms, but I still do these things because I am afraid to go out smelling.

I don't mind having baths (or showers in the summer).

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

I try my best to keep up; I even shave EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. Even my armpits.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 5:34 pm

For those who take multiple showers/baths per day, do you use a fresh towel to dry off each time? Do you put on fresh clothes after the shower/bath?

I prefer to use a fresh towel with every shower. I like to take two or three showers or baths per day, but rarely have the time. If I get dirty or dusty enough to take the extra showers, I do. If I took three showers or baths a day, I'd either have to buy more towels or wash them every other day. Even with more towels, there would still be the question of how many towels I could wash in one load.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

eric76 wrote:
For those who take multiple showers/baths per day, do you use a fresh towel to dry off each time? Do you put on fresh clothes after the shower/bath?

I prefer to use a fresh towel with every shower. I like to take two or three showers or baths per day, but rarely have the time. If I get dirty or dusty enough to take the extra showers, I do. If I took three showers or baths a day, I'd either have to buy more towels or wash them every other day. Even with more towels, there would still be the question of how many towels I could wash in one load.
i need to start getting myself to shower once per day. ive always tried to do it consistently and fail

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 2:32 am

Mine isn't great now, but it's better than it used to be.

I look back now, and suspect that part of the reason I was so unpopular in high school was because I took a bath/shower MAYBE once a month. I'm sure I smelled horrible, but at the time I wasn't aware of it. Even as an adult, until fairly recently, I was bad about bathing. My main issue with it isn't that I don't care. I DO care, and I feel really good after a good hot shower. But it's more of a sensitivity thing -- I absolutely HATE the way it feels for the first drops of water to hit my dry skin. The way it runs down my body and around my scalp creeps me out. Once I get completely wet, I'm OK and actually enjoy it.

I'm up to bathing about once a week, which isn't TERRIBLE, because I'm not very active so don't get too funky. And I change my undies and wear deodorant regularly. My hair is dry and curly, so the extra oil that accumulates after a few days actually HELPS it look better, so I can go a little longer between hair washings than some people.

Brushing my teeth isn't an issue, though. I have really good teeth, and HATE funky gross teeth. I think this comes from the fact that since I have problems with eye contact, I look at everybody's mouths instead and as such notice their teeth. I live in an rural area where people have really BAD teeth, so that keeps me motivated to brush regularly, and floss when I think I need to,

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

As a child I had terrible hygiene because of sensory issues. Toothpaste burned my tongue horribly and I was very sensitive to cold, so I hated undressing for the bathtub and sitting there in a chilly soup of soap scum. In adolescence my sensory issues mitigated themselves (and gel toothpaste was invented) but it took until age 13 to get into the habit of regular washing.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2012, 2:30 pm

In my case, hygiene was never an issue because I get self-conscious about body odor, so I shower at least once a day, and more if I've been to the gym. I actually got out of the habit of washing my hair every day when I was told that it was why my hair was dry, so now I wash it every couple of days, and my hair has gotten healthier as a result. I brush my teeth twice a day, and floss once a day, and in addition to my daily deodorant, I use Certain Dri several nights a week as even the thought of my pits sweating makes me self-conscious that my deodorant will suddenly fail.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

Webalina wrote:
Mine isn't great now, but it's better than it used to be.

I look back now, and suspect that part of the reason I was so unpopular in high school was because I took a bath/shower MAYBE once a month. I'm sure I smelled horrible, but at the time I wasn't aware of it. Even as an adult, until fairly recently, I was bad about bathing. My main issue with it isn't that I don't care. I DO care, and I feel really good after a good hot shower. But it's more of a sensitivity thing -- I absolutely HATE the way it feels for the first drops of water to hit my dry skin. The way it runs down my body and around my scalp creeps me out. Once I get completely wet, I'm OK and actually enjoy it.

I'm up to bathing about once a week, which isn't TERRIBLE, because I'm not very active so don't get too funky. And I change my undies and wear deodorant regularly. My hair is dry and curly, so the extra oil that accumulates after a few days actually HELPS it look better, so I can go a little longer between hair washings than some people.

Brushing my teeth isn't an issue, though. I have really good teeth, and HATE funky gross teeth. I think this comes from the fact that since I have problems with eye contact, I look at everybody's mouths instead and as such notice their teeth. I live in an rural area where people have really BAD teeth, so that keeps me motivated to brush regularly, and floss when I think I need to,

You sound kinda like me haha. I shower about once every 10 days, because I'm at home all day and rarely go out. This is also because I have cut my hair short from shoulder length. When they were long I didn't wash them for like 3 weeks, meaning no full body shower for 3 weeks. But now that they're short they get greasy looking faster, so therefore I wash every 7-10 days, meaning a full body shower every 7-10 days.

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2012, 5:34 pm

I shower every two to four days, but even then only because my mother makes me. Otherwise I'd make do with a weekly wash at the sink. I also never brush my teeth. Having things in my mouth makes me feel like I'm going to be sick, so I absolutely loathe having the toothbrush in my mouth. I do change my underwear and shirt every day, but I'll wear the same pair of trousers for a few days.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 5:36 pm

With brushing my teeth besides forgetting to do it a lot I don't like the taste of mint and most toothpastes are mint flavored.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 5:41 pm

I brush my teeth once a day, shower when I need to (which can be as little as once / twice a week - more if I run) and shave when I can be bothered.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2012, 2:23 am

I brush my teeth when they feel like they need to be brushed or if I anticipate kissing someone in the near future. I shower regularly (up to 4 or 5 times a day when stressed) but only because it's one of my stimming activities because it provides white noise and privacy to rock in.

I wear the same clothes until they have visible stains or noticeable smell, I only wash my hair when it's visibly greasy, etc. I know how not to offend people but when I'm on my own for extended periods of time I don't care at all.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression