Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Insania2016
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2012, 9:10 pm

I am still learning what it means to have both ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome.

I thought they were mutually exclusive but I was wrong apparently.

I had no idea just how much the two overlap.

I do have an affinity for technology and it is interesting having both the single minded interest but being all over the place with it. It makes my work projects interesting.

Anyone else here have both? What is it like for you? What are your experiences with it?

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

A lot of people do. Actually, i think if it weren't for the current DSM saying that you can't diagnose ADHD in someone with a PDD (a lot do anyway though), that more would be diagnosed with both. My diagnoses are Asperger's and Inattentive ADHD.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

I always wondered if adhd and aspergers are totally opposite of each other, since people with adhd are more active. They both deviate from neuro typical though, and that makes them similar.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 10:04 pm

Vomelche wrote:
I always wondered if adhd and aspergers are totally opposite of each other, since people with adhd are more active. They both deviate from neuro typical though, and that makes them similar.

Have the same feeling- that the two are comparable disorders, but are opposite. But many people here on wp are diagnosed with both disorders. So go figure.

Was friends with a guy in highschool and early college who ( I have now years later have concluded) must have had ADHD.The reason I was friends with him was that he opposite of me- non nerdy, streetwise, knew how to get laid, etc.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

My limited understanding of this whole diagnostic malarkey was that, strictly speaking, a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome overrode any previous diagnosis of ADHD. That said, I think the DSM is far from infallible otherwise why would we be on version 5?

My child psycologist had me down as ADHD with dyspraxia and dyslexia although my parents fought against it knowing it didnt quite fit and there was something more going on. In the end he effectively conceeded for the sake of argument saying that I had [my-surname] syndrome, simply because he didnt have any better way to classify me (and I suspect, because he was tired of my mother's arguing).

As someone who works in software development, I moved from a job a year ago where I had freedom to build stuff I wanted, in the way I wanted, at the pace I wanted, which saved the company a serious ammount of money on a number of fronts, to a 'promotion' into a role where I have projects assigned to me where I have to spend most of my time worrying about design templates and methadologies for projects which are carefully precribed. Perfectly sensible, im sure, but not the best way to spend my time if you ask me. Arrogant as it sounds, I have my own ideas and, were I allowed to persue them more freely, I would save the company a hell of a lot more capitol.

[end rant]

:)

Alexithymia: 137

Insania2016

21 Dec 2014, 11:37 am

ADHD first came up before the doctor got to know me.

ADHD was thrown out. It's just ASD. My tendency not to focus was primarily due to things that wasn't interested in or people discussing boring topics. I have days of high energy but those were precursors to meltdowns.