Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 5:18 am

I feel like the connection between my brain and my hands is a bit garbled. I told my occupational therapist about this but she didn't really take it much further than a suggestion that I have a left-right hemisphere confusion.

When I am writing, my handwriting is awful to begin with, but if I intend to write, say "pizza", I may end up writing "pimka" or something similar. I intend to write a word, but some of the letters I write come out on paper as something not even related (so the letters don't even look like each other). I even get this when I'm typing. While I don't get every word wrong, I have to use speech-to-text software when typing more than a couple of paragraphs, because making so many confusions/mistakes, and having to correct myself is very tiring. I also get exhaustion from writing for more than 1-2 minutes.

I cannot make notes in university lectures because I cannot listen and write at the same time. If I write, I can't interpret incoming sounds, and if I try to interpret incoming sounds, I cannot write. Luckily I have a note-taker in university.

It took me over five years of daily practice to learn how to catch a ball, and I still have difficulty using cutlery and things like threading a needle.

However I can do more large-scale things like running, using gym machines etc. with ease.

I also have a visual processing disorder which means that things like walking down flights of stairs (with exception to the flight of stairs at home as I have been using them for over two years now so I have "learned" how to use them), catching a ball and looking at road maps are difficult for me (I have to walk down stairs slowly, I often miss thrown balls and maps completely dazzle me). I get eye strain, nausea and great discomfort from looking at certain patterns (for example I had to ask my friend to change his stripy shirt because my eyes were going crazy just looking at it), and I also go cross-eyed quite often.

I think all of these things are related, but I cannot work out what exactly is going on. My knowledge of neurology has decreased since I haven't read up about it for a while.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with me?

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

I have not exactly the same problems you describe but when I'm speaking more often than not I don't find the word I'm looking for but a similar one. One shrink has told me that's a result of my brain being wired differently, e.g., when searching a term it doesn't deliver the exact one but one that comes close to the original target. Don't know whether the explanation is correct, though.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 11:58 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
I have not exactly the same problems you describe but when I'm speaking more often than not I don't find the word I'm looking for but a similar one. One shrink has told me that's a result of my brain being wired differently, e.g., when searching a term it doesn't deliver the exact one but one that comes close to the original target. Don't know whether the explanation is correct, though.

I agree with the psychiatrist to some degree - Asperger's is a differently wired brain.

I really do feel like I cannot control my hands properly at times, especially when handwriting; it feels as if I am trying to move my hand correctly while someone else is holding it and moving it incorrectly by force.