Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 5:30 am

So I really thought ultra logical thinking was one of the more common aspie traits. It's my biggest problem in socializing. But, so many of the posts by people (I'm not naming names) on this site are so irrational and illogical that I am only reminded of the real world conversations that I am trying to avoid by coming here.

Am I wrong about the Logic thing being one of the most common traits?

Does anyone else feel like they have no illogical thoughts? (given the knowledge possessed, obviously)

I am really really curious. Please post if you have an opinion on the matter. Or a Spock quote.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 5:41 am

What does the title of the thread have to do with your actual post?

I like logic. I also think in a concrete way. Abstractness confuses me.

Those whose posts you deem illogical or irrational may not believe they are posting that way. It is a subjective thing.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 5:47 am

Brock wrote:
So I really thought ultra logical thinking was one of the more common aspie traits. It's my biggest problem in socializing. But, so many of the posts by people (I'm not naming names) on this site are so irrational and illogical that I am only reminded of the real world conversations that I am trying to avoid by coming here.

Does anyone else feel like they have no illogical thoughts? (given the knowledge possessed, obviously)

I am really really curious. Please post if you have an opinion on the matter. Or a Spock quote.

I know exactly what you mean

In my opinion the logic thing goes with intelligence ie a person of lower intelligence is less likely to think logically

Make of that what you will...

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 5:55 am

renaeden wrote:
What does the title of the thread have to do with your actual post?

I like logic. I also think in a concrete way. Abstractness confuses me.

Those whose posts you deem illogical or irrational may not believe they are posting that way. It is a subjective thing.

It's the title of a song. A song with the lyrics "I don't wanna hear it, I don't want to know".

Because I'm really hoping to meet other people that can talk without getting offended or can enjoy solving problems, I just don't want more conversations where no one takes anything away. I just want to converse and not hate it.

Also, Logic is not really subjective. Ok actually it's not at all subjective. It's only right or wrong or not known. Any new evidence that is introduced can not be disregarded without reason. Things can't be ignored for no reason. I feel strange thinking people have whole conversations of never learning anything at all. It seems impossible.

As soon as it becomes subjective to emotions, opinions, it stop being logic and starts being emotions and opinions.

What does concrete thinking mean? or what do you mean by it?

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 6:06 am

nessa238 wrote:
Brock wrote:

In my opinion the logic thing goes with intelligence ie a person of lower intelligence is less likely to think logically

If I had to guess, I'd say you've had mixed feeling about saying "Logic=Intelligence" outloud to people before. Or that other people have called you an as*hole for making a claim like that. So "make of that what you will" is a good way to say "I'm sorry if you are illogical, no offense, but it's true. Provably. Don't shoot the messenger".

I agree with you (because it's true) and have had more than a few people get upset with me about it. Are you viewed as an as*hole by people too?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:08 am

Logic itself is not subjective. But what people believe about how they post is.

Concrete thinking to me is the opposite of abstract thinking. I have very little imagination so I find abstract expressions of thought hard to process.

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 6:14 am

renaeden wrote:

Concrete thinking to me is the opposite of abstract thinking. I have very little imagination so I find abstract expressions of thought hard to process.

Very little imagination? tell me about that. What makes you think that? Do you enjoy fictitious movies, books? You don't like being creative? I guess I've never heard anyone say that.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:31 am

I guess the problem first started with lack of pretend play (which many autistics are said to have difficulties with). I could never pretend things and still can't. I always had trouble writing fiction, I would have to ask my sisters or parents to help me come up with a story to write for school. Reading fiction is not so bad but it is easier when things are explained in great detail so my mind does not have to come up with those details on its own. Many fictitious books I would leave half read. I like reading science fiction though, especially Star Trek - it is easy to visualise a lot of these because I have already seen a lot of Star Trek on tv.

I do prefer non-fiction a lot of the time.

I am probably the least creative person I know. The only creative thing I have done lately is colour in mandalas which are specific patterns made to please the eye. I got into doing that as part of therapy to help depression.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:37 am

Brock wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Brock wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say you've had mixed feeling about saying "Logic=Intelligence" outloud to people before. Or that other people have called you an as*hole for making a claim like that. So "make of that what you will" is a good way to say "I'm sorry if you are illogical, no offense, but it's true. Provably. Don't shoot the messenger".

I agree with you (because it's true) and have had more than a few people get upset with me about it. Are you viewed as an as*hole by people too?

Actually I didn't say 'make of that what you will' because I'd been criticised for saying Logic=Intelligence before - I don't tend to have that many conversations with illogical people anyway as we rarely have much in common and I think they see through my act of pretend interest quite quickly lol. I don't seem to speak their language.

I was implying that there are varying levels of intelligence on here but I'd also say that intelligence comes in many forms and a person lacking in intellect/logic can often have a far better life than a person with more of it as they are usually more down to earth and live in 'the real world' more and are thus better-adapted to the world and people in general. So intellect/logic can be a handicap to some people. I'm no genius but I have sufficient intelligence and 'standards' that most people disappoint me I'm afraid and that has definitely been to my detriment in life.

Last edited by nessa238 on 27 Oct 2012, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:39 am

renaeden wrote:

Can you give an example of an abstract thought as I have difficulty with this concept of 'abstract'.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:51 am

^So do I so it is hard to explain!

I guess to me it is the opposite of concrete thought.

...I have just looked it up because I am having a hard time explaining and found this:

Quote:
Abstract thinking is a level of thinking about things that is removed from the facts of the “here and now”, and from specific examples of the things or concepts being thought about. Abstract thinkers are able to reflect on events and ideas, and on attributes and relationships separate from the objects that have those attributes or share those relationships. Thus, for example, a concrete thinker can think about this particular dog; a more abstract thinker can think about dogs in general. A concrete thinker can think about this dog on this rug; a more abstract thinker can think about spatial relations, like “on”. A concrete thinker can see that this ball is big; a more abstract thinker can think about size in general. A concrete thinker can count three cookies; a more abstract thinker can think about numbers. A concrete thinker can recognize that John likes Betty; a more abstract thinker can reflect on emotions, like affection.

From here:
http://www.projectlearnet.org/tutorials ... nking.html

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:53 am

renaeden wrote:
^So do I so it is hard to explain!

I guess to me it is the opposite of concrete thought.

...I have just looked it up because I am having a hard time explaining and found this:
Quote:
Abstract thinking is a level of thinking about things that is removed from the facts of the “here and now”, and from specific examples of the things or concepts being thought about. Abstract thinkers are able to reflect on events and ideas, and on attributes and relationships separate from the objects that have those attributes or share those relationships. Thus, for example, a concrete thinker can think about this particular dog; a more abstract thinker can think about dogs in general. A concrete thinker can think about this dog on this rug; a more abstract thinker can think about spatial relations, like “on”. A concrete thinker can see that this ball is big; a more abstract thinker can think about size in general. A concrete thinker can count three cookies; a more abstract thinker can think about numbers. A concrete thinker can recognize that John likes Betty; a more abstract thinker can reflect on emotions, like affection.

From here:
http://www.projectlearnet.org/tutorials ... nking.html

I do both. I am predominantly a concrete thinker but I also do analytical and philosophical-type thinking on what human beings in general are like for example. I identify specific details and extrapolate as to what these might mean for a system in general.

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 7:21 am

nessa238 wrote:
I also do analytical and philosophical-type thinking on what human beings in general are like for example. I identify specific details and extrapolate as to what these might mean for a system in general.

Did you find anything useful? I like looking for patterns in behavior. It has to be a game or else being around others sucks.

Ex. Staying silent while also looking like you don't care to be there, nor wanting to leave, just neutral, will make people NEED to know what you are thinking. And probably talk to you.

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 7:21 am

nessa238 wrote:
I also do analytical and philosophical-type thinking on what human beings in general are like for example. I identify specific details and extrapolate as to what these might mean for a system in general.

Did you find anything useful? I like looking for patterns in behavior. It has to be a game or else being around others sucks.

Ex. Staying silent while also looking like you don't care to be there, nor wanting to leave, just neutral, will make people NEED to know what you are thinking. And probably talk to you.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 7:28 am

Brock wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

People are generally overtly materialistic, arrogant, highly judgemental of others and extremely selfish from my observations. They are primarily focused on getting the most of any available resource for themselves and don't care if they have to do others down to get it - either in an overt or more subtle manner. This 'what's in it for me' aspect of most humans puts me right off them and I prefer to spend time with beings who aren't like this ie the person I live with and my cat. That's about it as far as wanting to mix with others goes for me. I can get more social input from work and online but my tolerance for this varies greatly.

I can understand that it's completely logical that humans should be like this as it's a survival strategy but I still don't like them for it.

Brock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 7:48 am

nessa238 wrote:
I can understand that it's completely logical that humans should be like this as it's a survival strategy but I still don't like them for it.

You are right to want to stay inside.

And I understand why idiots think they are better off being selfish, but as far evolution, humans are a communal species who only have strength in numbers. We can run faster than things that eat us. We are not stronger, and our bodies are not meant to survive in harsh conditions, alone. This concept really does still apply to modern humans.

I encourage simple selfish people to act selfish. It never gets them anywhere. Getting the things you want are based in large part on who you know. No smart people prefer to be around selfish people. (Generally)

So you shouldn't like them OR understand where they are coming from.