What do people NOT understand about you the most?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:51 am

They don't seem to get it that hating religion does not make me an Atheist.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

Most people don't get why I don't talk much and why I keep to myself.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:01 pm

Moondust wrote:
That I'm not displaying my aspie traits on purpose to hurt others.

Yeah I can agree with that one. Also how I relate my special interests to any genre of conversation, that one tends to be vexing to people. How I don't know! You can relate Art, DnD and RPGS to ANYTHING! (Especially everquest because it has its own mythology, it works like DnD and its an MMORPG! ) =)

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2012, 4:20 pm

What they least understand about me?
My identity being essentially a parasite in this chassis.

Don't think I'm even capable of explaining it meaningfully.

Fnord wrote:
They don't seem to get it that hating racism does not make a person racist.

No, but if you hate racists then that is another, separate form of bigotry... which isn't necessarily any more justified.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Dec 2012, 7:03 am

What else do people not understand about me?

My constant motions.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 7:34 am

What they don't understand is that my feelings and quirks don't have an "on/off" switch.

I've heard people telling me to stop feeling or acting in a certain way. As if I can just snap my fingers and make it happen. I find this very rude but usually remain silet as I don't want to get into a larger confrontation.

They fail to understand that I can't just "chill out" and "act normal" just because they want me to.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

fuelred wrote:
A lot of times, my facial expressions don't match my emotions. I'll smile when I'm sad, or frown when I'm happy. I can't blame them, cause I don't really understand it either.

I hav inappropriate facial expressions and emotional reactions. Its so embarrassing when people comment on it. And also when I laugh at all the wrong times. When I'm nervous and nothing is funny and also when hearing tragically bad news.

Issit
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

LizNY wrote:
fuelred wrote:
A lot of times, my facial expressions don't match my emotions. I'll smile when I'm sad, or frown when I'm happy. I can't blame them, cause I don't really understand it either.

I hav inappropriate facial expressions and emotional reactions. Its so embarrassing when people comment on it. And also when I laugh at all the wrong times. When I'm nervous and nothing is funny and also when hearing tragically bad news.

THIS

and also..they think I lie or pretend most of the time-
and the opposite really is true.

They think I am capable of the same things as them,
and so that makes me lazy , useless and leach..
and I have no way to show them it is just a mental condition within my mind
that can be as crippling, as not having legs; for example.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

One thing of note that many people at my job (school) don't understand is my need for routine. When my routine is broken, I often get anxiety to the point that it causes my blood pressure to elevate into dangerous levels.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:58 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
People from my old jobs knew I was an oddball. My 3rd person self-reference use to drive them nut, though.

Zodai speaks in third person sometimes as well!

On a side note, my mom seems to be trying to make attempts to peek at all my texts and emails >_< I'm allowed to have my own privacy you know!

Author/Writer

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2012, 4:16 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
I don't show emotion easily and I'm told I have an expressionless face (and cold eyes). People think I'm unfeeling and unfriendly, and they say I look scary as they can't read me.

Me too. But another thing. when I'm upset I typically do NOT want people to read my expression. That usually leads to questions about how I am feeling. Talking about my feelings is always awkward and I have a history of leaving the conversation more confused about my thoughts and feelings, less of a chance of that happening now than it was in childhood. But for example, my mom told me to have positive thoughts which I think is good advice today but as a child I obsessively attempted to keep my thoughts positive and still subconsciously avoid helpful self-criticism at times i.e. I avoid saying to myself "hey, dumbass you need to..." and then I wind up procrastinating for a long time.

And yet conversely I would really, really love to talk about my feelings but I would love to do so with the right words and avoid getting myself confused.

That's why I'm scared to talk about my feelings and then everybody thinks that's because I'm afraid of being judged. No, I'm afraid of being confused. Emotions don't exactly have the clearest, most precise language behind them, neither do thoughts. I have a friend who keeps telling me "don't think about it" and that I'm "overthinking" things with things but I doubt he just means any kind of thought whatsoever so I don't really know what he's talking about and then I try "not to overthink" and then I'm still "overthinking" or I'll try to literally not think while performing a task(including not allowing myself to think of the room that I am in) and then make some very dumb mistakes. It's very confusing.

Texasholiday
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 4:46 pm

People are put off by my mask of a face. I'm like a lot of people here in that respect, I think. I just don't show emotions on my face well and I know my eyes can look very dull and lifeless even when I'm happy. So that confuses or creeps out people.

Another big one that I HATE is how I tend to ramble and stumble over my words. I'm not sure if this is something that I actually notice more than others do but I am always doing it. It's like my brain works faster than I can speak. My words just can't seem to come out correctly. :/ It doesn't help that I am a fast talker, especially when I am excited. Anyone else have problems with rambling and stumbling over words? (EDIT: That's probably a given but I'm still new to learning.)

elfabyanos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 5:20 pm

What most people misunderstand about me is that when I claim a fact or explain something it isn't open to debate because its a demonstrable fact. They don't understand when I say "If you want to argue I have an encyclopedia over there with this fact in it, go and shout at that, I don't actually care, I thought you wanted to know". But no, actually they wanted to play a variation of "Ain't it awful" where everyone comes up with stupid explanations for verifiable phenomena in order to obtain a warm feeling of "Aren't we great working together as a team" and then I come along and answer their question. No one was supposed to answer the question!

Aaaannnd breathe.

The most amazing thing in this world (not really) is how we all spend the first 15/20 years of our lives being encouraged to learn stuff in establishments specifically for that purpose, yet many of these same individuals find it bizarre that anyone ever actually did.

And then I continued (and continue) studying things off my own back and many people are even more shocked and ask "But why!?", well, so I don't waste my life sitting round coming up with stupid explanations for verifiable phenomena, obviously.

Breathe x 2

@ Texasholiday - yeah stumbling over words when speaking, its a pain. Its a real pain. The only way around it I've found is to write it out first, and then it should work better - but obviously this will only work with complex ideas for which it is appropriate to take such actions (eg you have an interview coming up etc).

Other than that, I just give up. I've been on so many rambles in my life that not only does the other person not care anymore, I'm not sure I do either. Suffice to say I've understood that if my idea requires a ramble, its so surreally complex and unorthodox that if the other person did ever get it they'd be convulsing on the floor for days. In a practical sense I do interrupt myself and ask the other person "Am I waffling?" maybe once or twice a month. Its a useful tactic - gives them an easy way out and/or they often offer something useful like where their understanding is up to. This helps avoid the waffle because by knowing where they are conceptually less options need to be closed-out in the explanation - which is often the cause of the waffle - providing too much info to 'help' the other person avoid misunderstanding, which actually just brain-fogs them into zero understanding. Am I waffling? :)

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:46 am

keira wrote:
My sense of humour; that I like to be alone sometimes; that I just don't like parties and lots of socializing, but mostly why some simple things (like making a phone call) are so difficult to me and cause that much anxiety.

All these things, PLUS...

1) That I'm not correcting people to be condescending or a know-it-all -- that when I correct a fact or pronunciation, I'm just trying to save them the embarrassment of saying it wrong to someone else.

2) That a messy room, house, car REALLY doesn't bother me. Sure, I'd like it to be neat, but if it's not I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it.

3) That I don't believe in rhetorical questions. If you don't want to know, don't ask. Otherwise, I'm gonna go look it up (if I don't know the answer already) and give you an answer when we next meet.

4) That I would be a lot more productive if you told me what you wanted me to do and then left me alone to do it. I don't need someone hovering over my shoulder all the time. And just because I don't do it your way doesn't mean I'm not doing it right. As long as it gets done, what difference does it make how I do it?

5) That my fear of dating and social situations isn't something I can just "get over".

CharlesMonster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 7:32 am

NT's mainly do not understand that I do not multitask with my thinking.

They do not understand a sequential thinker.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 7:56 am

Quote:
What do people NOT understand about you the most?

the exact locations of the various origins of each of the atoms that my body is composed of.