Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2006, 10:25 pm

Does seeing people smile make you smile?

I tend to smile almost automaticly when I see people smiling or laughing in real life or on TV.

But when it comes to other emotional expresion I don't seem to copy them like I do with smiles.

I am aslo told I smile inappropriately but I'm not aware i'm doing it. Like my grandma got into a fight with my aunt and she was telling me this and apparently I was smiling because she told me "why are you smiling. Do you think this is funny?" and I didn't. I wasn't even thinking about anything at the time that was funny our found the situation funny in anyway.

Also when I was a baby my mom told me I had a very 'serious' face. She and my dad would take turns trying to make me laugh and smile. She thought it was anusual for a baby at that age to be like that.

But now I can't seem to stop smiling :lol:

Have you ever expirience anything like this?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2006, 10:33 pm

Unfortunately my expression doesn't change much, even when I see other people smile. I'm always asked if I'm upset because I rarely smile.

GREASED_UP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2006, 12:58 am

I sometimes will frown while everyone is having a ball and people ask what is wrong, i always have late nights so i just say i had a late one last night and feel pretty tired.
worse thing is but that i might think of something funny in my head and get a big grin while trying to stop myself from luaghing wich makes me embarrased and people get confused. doesnt any one else ever come up with funny stuff in there head?
some people say i am always seem pissed off and others think i am always smiling, maybe my smile is a pissed of looking one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 1:36 am

I've plastered a fake smile on my face, since the fate of the Routemasters, last December. I also act a little tough, at times. That way, nobody asks me what's wrong. :twisted:

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 1:53 am

Not really. I don't smile very much.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 2:12 am

I do usually smile in return, if I see somebody smiling in my direction. But if I'm in a lousy mood, I probably wouldn't smile back.

Very often I smile in situations that do not typically elicit a smile. Laughs too, so much that people think that I'm actually not serious enough.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:15 am

I have to smile spontaniously but I cannot fake a smile no matter how hard I try. If someone tells me to smille while they take a photo the image looks like I have bit hit by a giant ugly stick.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2006, 8:35 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
I have to smile spontaniously but I cannot fake a smile no matter how hard I try. If someone tells me to smille while they take a photo the image looks like I have bit hit by a giant ugly stick.

I can identify with that. If I try to smile in a pose, a fake smile just looks awful! It looks forced. MY solution is to think of something that makes me laugh a bit (closed mouth, or mouth open a timy bit) so it looks authentic.

JUlieArticuno

theman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: Oklahoma...... where the men are men and the sheep run scared.

18 Dec 2006, 12:49 pm

I'll respond to real smiles but how many of those do you really get to see, other than that smiling people piss me off.

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 12:56 pm

Mirror wrote:

I tend to smile almost automaticly when I see people smiling or laughing in real life or on TV.

But when it comes to other emotional expresion I don't seem to copy them like I do with smiles.

I am aslo told I smile inappropriately but I'm not aware i'm doing it. Like my grandma got into a fight with my aunt and she was telling me this and apparently I was smiling because she told me "why are you smiling. Do you think this is funny?" and I didn't. I wasn't even thinking about anything at the time that was funny our found the situation funny in anyway.

Also when I was a baby my mom told me I had a very 'serious' face. She and my dad would take turns trying to make me laugh and smile. She thought it was anusual for a baby at that age to be like that.

But now I can't seem to stop smiling :lol:

heh, youve just described me to an inch :D everytime the slightest thing humurous happens (seen/heard/rememberd) i just go into this smile grin thing which i find hard to get off my face. its only when theres somthing funny on tv, or the net, or even just remembering something in my memory, but when im 'happy' my face is neutral, in fact i only seem to have 2 expressions, neutral, sortof dark/angry/''thinking'' look and the massive grin i seem to get whenver something i find amusing, even if its innappropriate, because i cant seem to control it >_< but people do say my smile is nice :)

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 12:57 pm

I smile...I think.

though according to my dad, it takes a girls name to make me smile. ere that of my first ex girlfriend or one of my close friends. other then that, I have a look that says "yeah, don't mess with me."

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 1:06 pm

I never smile. I can fake it but I hate it

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 6:35 pm

JulieArticuno wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:

I can identify with that. If I try to smile in a pose, a fake smile just looks awful! It looks forced. MY solution is to think of something that makes me laugh a bit (closed mouth, or mouth open a timy bit) so it looks authentic.

JUlieArticuno

Oh yeah, this is me too. My efforts at fake smiling for pictures have always been in vain - my face gets all twisted and weird!
Even thinking about something funny is hard, because you really have to sit and think about the last thing you heard / saw that was funny, and even then, it might not be funny to you anymore at that moment! X|

This frustrates my boyfriend when he tries to take pix of me, he's always like, "Smile! Jeez, don't look so serious!"
The only good pictures I have of me smiling are the ones where he's made me smile for real (he's basically NT, but he's pretty funny sometimes :) )

Him, on the other hand, boy does he have a gorgeous smile, fake or not - I can't even tell the difference!! !
Dimples and everything!! !

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:07 pm

Usually i'll smile at things that aren't funny and not smile when others do, while i enjoy humour there is some that i just don't get, or it takes me a while to undersatnd.

Usually i'll think or see or read something that i find amusing, this will cause me to smile. I really freaked my cousin out by doing this, she kept on giving me strange looks and trying to figure out what i found funny. This was until my Mother told her that i did it all the time and that you get used to it. :D

I don't think i am very good at faking smiles, probably because i do not bother, usually when i have to, ie when i am upset and my Mother is checking that i am ok, i will briefly raise the corners of my mouth, though i'm not sure if that counts.

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2006, 8:17 pm

Mirror wrote:

Pretty much the same!!

I have managed to get into trouble a lot for innapropriate smiling, yet i cant help it. I accidentally started flooding the submarine and I couldnt stop smiling and got shouted at by the captain because i was smiling even though i didnt find it funny.

The most annoying one is I see my shrink who smiles all the time so I end up copying and i cant help it. So he assumes Im happy even though Im not!! !!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:55 pm

Yes, seeing other people smile makes me smile.

Most of the time, it depends on the nature of the person, and I've run into some very nice people in my life!