Parents who hate autistic children--right now on Dr. Phil

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

I only saw the parts of the episode they had on the website, so my opinion probably isn't the most educated. I'm probably of the opinion that's not that popular, but I think the story was more about the woman not having the ability to face her abusive past, and as a result took it out on her daughter. Yes, the woman did mention once that she hated her child because the child is autistic, but the fact that she didn't always default to the autism has me thinking she's more upset about her past, not the child's autism. Either way, it doesn't excuse her actions and I would hope she would seek more help in this regard.

Then I have done my job

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

That mother who said she turned out fine because she was abused in her childhood and her mother also left her, no she wasn't fine because look at how she turned out and how she is treating her own daughter. That doesn't sound like she turned out fine. She is repeating what her mother did to her and her reason for not dropping her daughter off to social services or just leaving her husband is because she didn't want to do what her mother did to her, leaving her. But I still felt sorry for her and I hope Julia won't grow up and turn into her mother as well or be too messed up like her mother was. She mentions her daughter is mean to her, was her daughter mean to her because she abuses her or is her daughter mean to her so the mother is mean to her back? What did she mean by "mean?" Lot of the focus was on the mother so it was pretty vague about her daughter and the things she does that embarrasses her. It also wasn't about autism either so they also weren't focused on that either. I just found lot of it vague because the focus was on the mother only and how she treats her daughter. From the sound of it, she was happy and things were good and she was happy about her daughter and liked the way she is until she found out "she wasn't normal." Then things went downhill from there it sounds like because she didn't have the perfect child she wanted. Even if the kid were NT, she may have still abused her because she still didn't turn out to be what the mother wanted her to be.

The other mother who does verbal abuse claims she wasn't doing child abuse. But yet she said it was verbal abuse but apparently that isn't child abuse under her standards because she would have to be sexually abusing her and psychically abusing her. But yet she hits her with belts and spanks her. I know spanking isn't child abuse but if you are hitting them out of anger or hitting them every time they piss you off or do something wrong, then that is not okay. I am not fond of belts either. Dr. Phil is against spankings because he mentioned in one of his episodes that he doesn't find it right. I have already known that some parents don't even know what they are doing is child abuse.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

Shellfish wrote:
Well, it's proof that although you need a licence to own a pet or a catch a fish, they will let any f*uckwit be a parent...

I've said as much many times

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2012, 1:25 am

InTheDeepEnd wrote:
If you are on the East Coast, Dr. Phil is on right now talking to a mother who hates her autistic daughter. Had a news report about a mother who killed her 2 kids because they were autistic. Thought you might be interested.

OMG we record Dr. Phil and I just watched that last night! That was insane! Those people need to be shot!