Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

nhp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2012, 1:27 am

I'm a 25 year old wildland firefighter (hotshots) and I am autistic. I've been able to hide my autism for the most part (mainly because I'm verbal and it's mild), but it's been hell. After experiencing the full breadth of discrimination, I've finally decided to walk away from this career.

I've been kicking around the idea of writing a book about my experience of being autistic on the fireline, but would anyone even want to read it? Does anyone here in the Autism community have any interest in a story like that? Just trying to gauge whether it's worth it.

Thanks.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:28 am

I can just imagine your situation. You're sitting around a fire station waiting for a call but all the other firemen want to talk about is girls, girls, girls, sports, sports, sports and cars, cars, cars, mortgages, mortgages, mortgages and kids, kids, kids. Must be torture.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm

It sounds like a book I'd want to read. :)

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm

Definitely! I would read it! I would read an autobiography written by a firefighter even if they weren't autistic. I bet there are some dramatic tales to tell, and it would be interesting.