Does the smoke alarm cause sensory problems in your house?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:00 am

Callista wrote:
There has to be a visual smoke alarm for deaf people out there somewhere. It's probably a big flashing strobe light, because the point is that you can't ignore it, but if your auditory sensitivity is so bad that you'd freeze up if there were a fire, it might well be a safety issue for you.

Where I work, the smoke alarm both flashes and beeps. And it's right outside my dang door, so when it occasionally goes off by mistake I really get it. :roll: The ones at home frightens my son terribly so between his crying and my own difficulties, I can barely manage to find out where it's coming from. I ran around the house with a stepladder, frantically dismantling them, before I found out it was only the battery in the CO detector.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

My smoke alarm actually beeps loudly at regular intervals when the temperature gets low enough in my house (every morning during the winter) and for the first month, I thought I was going to go crazy (I did change batteries but I never attempted to replace it) and then, eventually, I grew accustomed to it. An ordinary fire alarm going off, still drives me NUTS but I've become so desensitized to the regular chirping, that now, I feel pretty content around it.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:47 pm

windtreeman wrote:
My smoke alarm actually beeps loudly at regular intervals when the temperature gets low enough in my house (every morning during the winter) and for the first month, I thought I was going to go crazy (I did change batteries but I never attempted to replace it) and then, eventually, I grew accustomed to it. An ordinary fire alarm going off, still drives me NUTS but I've become so desensitized to the regular chirping, that now, I feel pretty content around it.

Replace the whole unit, the detector could be faulty. If you can't afford one, call your local fire department.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm

Smoke alarms irritate me to no end. I thought I'd be over it by now, but I'm not.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 11:59 am

Once mine went off at night for no reason,talk about a panic attack!! !
I hate them but I heat with wood and I'm forgetful about things cooking so they are a must have for me.Mine goes off if I leave the oven door open too long but I don't dare take the batteries out because I'll forget to put them back in.Once I went outside and forgot I had eggs boiling,they boiled dry and burned,the smell was AWFUL and it lingered for days.I burn candles also and once I chucked the t.v. remote down on the table and went into the kitchen,out of the corner of my eye I saw something blaze up,it was the remote,it had slid and landed on the lit candle(a little tea light in a holder).The remote still worked even after catching on fire and then being doused with water.Plus it would take the volunteer fire dept. about 30 mnts to get here.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:20 pm

speaking of stuff catching on fire my mom melted the front of our rice cooker by placing it too close to a burner.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:23 pm

JRR wrote:
It's always been extraordinarily irritating. But, you know what's worse than the alarm? The high pitched noise that goes off when the battery is low! I tore apart my house looking for its source, when that happened a few months ago!!

That occasional 'chirp' every couple of minutes when the battery is low. The chirp is so brief in time that it is hard to pinpoint the location. I find this extremely aggravating, too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

The smoke alarm only upsets me when I've got to walk under it, because I'm always afraid I might be caught under it when it goes off. It's so loud that I can't even walk under it when it's already going off, and usually I'm not so agitated when walking past something that is already making a loud noise. It's just being startled that I don't like at all.

I've always wished things were more revolved around light than noise. I know some Aspies (unlike me) have sensory issues with light, but at least lights can't startle you and make you jump. Often at school I always wished a special light of an unusual colour like say, pink, lightened up, not enough to offend people with Epilepsy, but was visible enough to give light to the room, even on a bright day, which then lets you know that it's time for lunch or time for going home or whatever, rather than using bells. I'd much prefer that! I mean, aren't loud sudden noises offensive to those with heart problems and pace-makers? Just thought about that....

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:48 pm

Yes I hate fire alarms and smoke detectors when they go off but at-least that doesn't happen too often. The thing that's really causing sensory issues for me in my house is my f'ing heater......it's a new unit and it's SO loud....it never shuts up! :x

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The smoke alarm only upsets me when I've got to walk under it, because I'm always afraid I might be caught under it when it goes off. It's so loud that I can't even walk under it when it's already going off, and usually I'm not so agitated when walking past something that is already making a loud noise. It's just being startled that I don't like at all.

I've always wished things were more revolved around light than noise. I know some Aspies (unlike me) have sensory issues with light, but at least lights can't startle you and make you jump. Often at school I always wished a special light of an unusual colour like say, pink, lightened up, not enough to offend people with Epilepsy, but was visible enough to give light to the room, even on a bright day, which then lets you know that it's time for lunch or time for going home or whatever, rather than using bells. I'd much prefer that! I mean, aren't loud sudden noises offensive to those with heart problems and pace-makers? Just thought about that....

My schools just used a tone over the PA speakers for the bell, rather than using actual bells. It's much better than using a real bell.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

My flat has linked fire alarms in each room, in the kitchen there is a heat alarm (which will only set off the system if the temperature under the alarm rises significantly [ie something is wrong]), the other have ionising smoke alarms. If my kitchen door is open it is possible to set off the ionising smoke alarm in the hall when cooking in the kitchen.

I tend to ignore alarms (previous jobs have required me to have duties in evacuations).

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

Yes, but in the apartment I am in now, the smoke alarm hasn't gone off yet, which is good.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 2:31 am

No.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:45 am

Our smoke detector goes off each time I use the grill (and I don't burn food). It's in the dining room, well away from the kitchen. My daughter screams and runs away. My husband broke a light once, when he was using a towel to wave the 'smoke' away from the detector. He says the we have the wrong type of detector installed. It should be a less sensitive type.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 9:04 am

Our building has a monthly fire alarm test. It last for about five minutes. I have to go stand on the balcony while it's going off.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:18 am

I don't have problems with it going off, I just have problems with loud noises that are continuous and won't stop. But yeah, i want to bash ours in with an aluminum bat, then shoot it with a phaser to vaporize it (trekker here) lol.