Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2012, 3:52 am

We aspies like routine and our narrow sets of interests. So, I thought it a good idea to have a thread about learning new stuff (by choice or not) and the trials and tribulations we experience on the way.

I joined a gym recently. Tried to figure out the BMI calculation on the weight:height machine. I failed and then asked for help. The person helping didn't know how it worked and said they didn't believe in BMI. Of course, I started prattling about my very lean frame (still lean except for the unmistakable gut extension) and how the family doctor told my mother to feed me more even though I ate huge amounts. Fortunately I stopped myself soon enough to not completely blow it. Anyway, I still don't know how the BMI machine works. Gym machines in general have so many levers and things but I am fascinated by that so find it quite fun to figure out. Too many people in the gym today, felt a bit uneasy about that; what if someone had tried to be friendly .... so awkward because I know I would start prattling again ... ok I stop prattling now.

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Nov 2012, 3:59 am

I went horseriding this weekend, although I've done it before so I don't really think it would be considered "learning something new" but I don't do it too often so that was fun.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 5:34 am

Not formally, but I had a big shift in thinking. and skin shedding

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2012, 6:24 am

When Life gets turned upside-down one must learn to let go of expectations and try to go with the flow as best as a routine driven aspie is capable of.
I have been in limbo for so long now it seems like nothing in this world is constant except change itself.
These are not exactly the life lessons I would choose to master if given the choice. Against all better reasoning and logic it seems ironic that there may be a creator somewhere laughing their ass off at my predicament.
I must admit I have a very Dark sense of humour and even I find the twists and turns of my life hilarious. Makes not for a dull ride but an insane roller coaster from which one cannot get off.
It's better to be laughing histerically and maniacly than not at all I guess.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 8:57 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
We aspies like routine and our narrow sets of interests. So, I thought it a good idea to have a thread about learning new stuff (by choice or not) and the trials and tribulations we experience on the way.

I joined a gym recently. Tried to figure out the BMI calculation on the weight:height machine. I failed and then asked for help. The person helping didn't know how it worked and said they didn't believe in BMI. Of course, I started prattling about my very lean frame (still lean except for the unmistakable gut extension) and how the family doctor told my mother to feed me more even though I ate huge amounts. Fortunately I stopped myself soon enough to not completely blow it. Anyway, I still don't know how the BMI machine works. Gym machines in general have so many levers and things but I am fascinated by that so find it quite fun to figure out. Too many people in the gym today, felt a bit uneasy about that; what if someone had tried to be friendly .... so awkward because I know I would start prattling again ... ok I stop prattling now.

A couple of weeks ago I also joined the gym. But I guess that doesnt really count since that was only because someone invited me to come along with him.

As far as something that was my own idea ... a month ago I went off to the mountains on my own to explore. I also bought the photo camera to take pictures. But I am yet to learn as to how to upload them on computer.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

Yesterday I tried something new after I had read that people should pour the amount of milk they like in their cup and then add teabags or loose tea and brew it. They wrote the tea would get a better taste and also be smoother that way.

So I tried it but found it incredibly hard to overcome the inhibition or force of habit since I had never done it before and there was so much resistance toward trying something new. Yeah, I'm aware that's kind of ridiculous, after all it's just a cup of tea.

Finally I gave it a try and didn't like the result because the teabags didn't absorb the milk--water mixture so well, that is, they didn't sink and I had to push them down. The taste was definitely the same, I couldn't find a difference. Also, it wasn't any smoother than usual. So I went back to the old method.