Is what I'm doing or thinking, Aspergers ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2007, 4:19 pm

Hey Guys.

I'm trying to delevop my personality and I want to be hanging out with people that are non-conformist care free free spirited people. But there isn't people I know that are. They're basicly conformists and I feel alittle or unconfortable with them.

I talk aloud to myself when no one is home. I like it. It makes me confortable and clear out my head. But when I was thinking today about it. The more I thought about it, the more overwhelmed I've felt. I'm afraid if it is Aspergers, then I consider it a problem and I need to get rid of it at once. But then again, I must be getting overwhelmed about nothing.

But I'd like some help making sence to this so I don't need to kick it about my head anymore.

Thanx,

_Eric ;)

_Eric ;)

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 5:43 pm

Talking aloud to yourself sounds very aspergers - I do it too when I'm home alone, which is most of the time, since I live alone.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 6:08 pm

I find your post to be really confusing. You think Asperger's is making you talk to yourself, so you want to get rid of the talking to yourself, or the Asperger's? Either way, why do you want to get rid of it (either the Asperger's or the talking to yourself)?

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2007, 6:14 pm

Sorry, I souldn't have put that part of talking to myself in the first place.

My consern is thinking about becoming and trying to find nonconformist free spirited people because conformists really annoy and bore me.

Is this thought have something to do with Aspergers or something?

Or is this a good desition.

Maybe I posted this thread in the wrong forum.

_Eric ;)

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 6:48 pm

Eric_C wrote:

My consern is thinking about becoming and trying to find nonconformist free spirited people because conformists really annoy and bore me.

Ok, that's much more clear. I don't think that there's anything wrong with wanting to spend time with "unusual" people.

When I was a kid in elementary school, the other kids never liked me. They thought I was weird, and pretty much all they ever did was make fun of me. When elementary school was over and I went to a middle school, the same thing happened. Of course, that made me really depressed, so when I was 12, I ended up in a mental hospital for the first time. I was on the Adolescent unit, so everyone else that I interacted with (except Staff) were between the ages of 11 and 18.

I expected it to be the same as all the years I had been in school, where no one would like me and no one would want to be around me. Everybody else who was there was "the weird kid" though. They were all the other kids that didn't fit in wherever they were from. They were really open-minded about other people, and generally, as a group, they were pretty awesome. They actually welcomed me and told me I should talk more. They wanted to spend time with me, and they didn't care that I was weird. Most of the time they even liked my weirdness.

That whole experience was a real turning point for me because I realized that it meant that there were people who were worth being around. They were just harder to find. So I say go for out. Hang out with the "weird kids." They're cooler anyway.

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2007, 6:53 pm

Totally. I believe ever since I watch Groucho Marx and Sarah Jessica Parker's performance in LA Story, I had a curiousity if there are actual people like this out there. :D

Thanks for your input.

_Eric ;)

_Eric ;)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 7:19 pm

Mnemosyne wrote:
Eric_C wrote:

Ok, that's much more clear. I don't think that there's anything wrong with wanting to spend time with "unusual" people.

When I was a kid in elementary school, the other kids never liked me. They thought I was weird, and pretty much all they ever did was make fun of me. When elementary school was over and I went to a middle school, the same thing happened. Of course, that made me really depressed, so when I was 12, I ended up in a mental hospital for the first time. I was on the Adolescent unit, so everyone else that I interacted with (except Staff) were between the ages of 11 and 18.

I expected it to be the same as all the years I had been in school, where no one would like me and no one would want to be around me. Everybody else who was there was "the weird kid" though. They were all the other kids that didn't fit in wherever they were from. They were really open-minded about other people, and generally, as a group, they were pretty awesome. They actually welcomed me and told me I should talk more. They wanted to spend time with me, and they didn't care that I was weird. Most of the time they even liked my weirdness.

That whole experience was a real turning point for me because I realized that it meant that there were people who were worth being around. They were just harder to find. So I say go for out. Hang out with the "weird kids." They're cooler anyway.

You were LUCKY! I went to the UCLA mental hospital to visit a mutual friend, and everyone there was WIERD, and thought they were someone else! Frankly, I don't think a sane person could survive there.

Steve

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 5:35 am

Eric_C wrote:
Hey Guys.

I'm trying to delevop my personality and I want to be hanging out with people that are non-conformist care free free spirited people. But there isn't people I know that are. They're basicly conformists and I feel alittle or unconfortable with them.

I talk aloud to myself when no one is home. I like it. It makes me confortable and clear out my head. But when I was thinking today about it. The more I thought about it, the more overwhelmed I've felt. I'm afraid if it is Aspergers, then I consider it a problem and I need to get rid of it at once. But then again, I must be getting overwhelmed about nothing.

But I'd like some help making sence to this so I don't need to kick it about my head anymore.

Thanx,

_Eric ;)

Eric,I wouldn't worry too much about trying to shape your personality.Anyone who
truly becomes a free spirit probably won't care whether you or anyone else has
Asperger's,they'll accept people as they are.Better to have one or two friends like
that than striving to fit in where you don't feel comfortable.
AS is only really a 'problem' if that's the way the person sees it.Some people view
it as a difference that has its up and down sides. You've already got enough self
awareness to tell the reason why you talk to yourself,to provide comfort,so even if
there's a remote possibility of it being connected to AS,I'm sure you could handle it.
There's a whole lot more symptoms to check out before linking it to AS but in any
case - Don't Panic !

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 4:25 pm

I think it would be. I know of people like you.