Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 9:10 pm

About a week ago, I started experiencing psychological stomach illness. I think this is because not everything is set in stone for me in Seattle.

So, my mom says this and myself, I find it very hard to believe.

When I wake up, why is it that I feel so much better? Or, why would you think so?

I am being the exact opposite of juvenile as you can think of. I am not joking. I don't know why Seattle is making me so "stomach-sick," especially since I get the feeling that Seattle has "missed me." It has just as much culture and is just as much of a melting pot as Wrongplanet is. With my close family members here, you would think the transition would be easy, but it really hasn't been for me!

Does anyone know why this is?

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 9:30 pm

Quote:

I used to know people who got sick to their stomach whenever there was stormy weather.

You live in the Pacific Northwest.

There has been stormy weather in the Pacific Northwest lately.

Maybe you are one of those people who gets sick to his stomach whenever there is stormy weather.

If so, I apologize because I can provide no biomedical basis for why that is.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 9:32 pm

Of course!

I'm from Seattle, but I don't know why!

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 9:33 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Of course!

I'm from Seattle, but I don't know why!

If you could live anywhere else in the United States, except for Hawaii and Alaska, where would it be?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 9:34 pm

Vermont, without a doubt!

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 11:29 pm

Maybe stress??...

Change is stressful for most of us whether it's good or bad. Yikes...I hate to even re-arrange the furniture. LOL

Other than that I would say take a hard look at your diet to see if anything has changed recently along with your surroundings...many times we are too hasty (or sometimes a Dr. can be also) to just chock things up to being "psychological" when they can really be caused by very small changes in our lifestyles we just overlook.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 11:33 pm

I think it could be!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 10:04 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
About a week ago, I started experiencing psychological stomach illness. I think this is because not everything is set in stone for me in Seattle.

So, my mom says this and myself, I find it very hard to believe.

When I wake up, why is it that I feel so much better? Or, why would you think so?
Sleep = Physical rest + psychological renewal. It's quite logical you should feel better when you've just had some sleep.

BTW, dreams are your "natural psychologist"--your brain sifting emotions and events of the day, putting them all away into neat little boxes. If something shows up repeatedly in dreams, you know you've been thinking about it a lot, and it might be an issue. (Of course, if that something is a special interest, then that's natural and definitely not a problem!)

Quote:
I am being the exact opposite of juvenile as you can think of. I am not joking. I don't know why Seattle is making me so "stomach-sick," especially since I get the feeling that Seattle has "missed me." It has just as much culture and is just as much of a melting pot as Wrongplanet is. With my close family members here, you would think the transition would be easy, but it really hasn't been for me!

It's a transition. You're an Aspie. It's completely natural.

I mean, most of the things you used to know are gone; replaced by unfamiliar places, things, and even weather. That sort of upheaval--family or no family--is not easy when you are attached to familiarity, comforted by sameness.

It happens to cats... You move, your cat goes nuts, because he's attached to the old house. Even if you're there to comfort him, cats (like Aspies) are very location-oriented; and his location just changed drastically! It would be worse if his owners had changed, too; but it's pretty bad as it is. (Some cats are more easygoing.)

BTW, remember your stomach complaints may have originated in your brain, but they're still real. Whatever works on them, use it--antacids, rest, small frequent meals... whatever. As you adjust (which will unfortunately and inevitably take time), your stomach should settle.

Would getting and carrying around a map of your new surroundings help? It did wonders for me--I had mine laminated and it's still in my backpack! Also, your room contains a lot of familiar things; hanging out there when you're stressed should help. Don't withdraw completely, though; as you know, that's always a problem when an Aspie nests in his/her room.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 10:28 am

I used to get heartburn all the time.. I did exercises to reduce stress/anxiety and now I'm problem free.. even the mind is clearing woo woo

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 3:10 pm

The stomach problems came back to me this morning, but I felt better once I woke up.

I will be eating light today because I don't want my stomach to hurt anymore.

I believe that my brain thinks about a lot of things.

I understand that a transition making me anxious is natural. Yes, family or no family, it makes me anxious.

Where did you geth the "cat comparison" from?

I think just eating light would help.

I don't think that carrying a map around would help. My visual spacial perception is terrible!

matt_a
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2006, 5:09 am

I recently moved back home after a year living in another state (I thought a change of scenery would help me :/ ), probably 2 days before I left my stomach started knotting up and it continued until my plane landed back here. I have never had travel sickneww before, but I was throwing up on the train on the way to the airport and on the plane the whole way back. Even when the plane touched down and stopped moving I still kept throwing up.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 5:32 am

I am currently suffering from a very non-psychological stomach illness. I have it because I was forced to go to a family gathering whrere everyone was ill. I am pissed off. :x

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 5:38 am

Whenever I get anxious or nervous I end up with stomach upsets.

Whenever my mother goes back to her birthplace to visit her mother, she gets sick with a food poisoning type illness.
She usually stays for a week or two and is sick for most of the time there. We can't explain it.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 10:24 am

Interesting stories!

Matt, are you a new member and did you move to the US from Australia?

Scrulie, I don't understand how you feel. If it's all for a good reason, why does it have to be so bad?

And Blue_bean, why is it that your mother going back home makes her sick. You'd think it would be the other way around, as in the term, "homesickness."

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2006, 4:59 am

I fixed my heartburn and nausea with yogurt pills (acidopholous?) - they are the active ingredient in yogurt, but in capsules. It's wonderful.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 10:22 am

Back when I was in school, I experienced this issue significantly. I could only eat small amounts of food in the mornings for breakfast because I was so nervous about going to school. I was usually pretty starving by about 10 AM. I had lunch in the afternoon, and then gym class. I would get so nervous just before gym that I would sometimes throw up before class. I imagine this issue might have some bearing on why I'm so small and skinny now that I'm all grown up...between that and some of the odd food aversions I had as a kid. I has taken me almost 10 years since I left school to get to the point where I can eat a decent meal in the morning, and that I'm not nervous about the day's activities.