Page 2 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:18 am

EstherJ wrote:
Emotional attachment to food?

People have that?

I'm picturing a guy sitting in a corner, hugging a hot dog...

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2012, 10:26 am

I was very thin as a child, but never underweight. I'm a little overweight now as I haven't lost all the extra weight I gained during my pregnancies.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2012, 10:38 am

I love food/eating.

Although if I'm alone and there's nothing particularly interesting to eat, I won't eat. I enjoy cooking and making exciting things. If there's the option of eat something boring or not eat, I won't eat. I am a bit overweight though. I usually prefer to put the effort into cooking!

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

Very far from underweight here :(

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

I know I am underweight, a lot of times I don't really have any appetite and nothing seems like it would sit well with me or I feel nauseous....and when I do eat I tend to get a lot of digestive discomfort. Honestly the only thing that helps that is marijuana, if I smoke before I eat then I can actually enjoy it and it does away with the digestive discomfort.

I've always been rather thin but yeah I didn't really have trouble eating till after I ended up with PTSD so I think that has a lot to do with it.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

Noetic wrote:
EstherJ wrote:

People have that?

Or crying over a cookie.

No, I have a hugely fast metabolism, which keeps me skinny. Not to mention depression made me loose weight because I didn't eat for 2 weeks....

But that runs in the family, so I don't know what it would have to do with ASD.

My low blood sugar makes me nauseous at the EXACT moment when I need to be eating.... 8O

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 11:28 am

EstherJ wrote:
My low blood sugar makes me nauseous at the EXACT moment when I need to be eating.... 8O

Yeah, what is that all about? I'm diabetic & on insulin so if my sugar level drops quickly or starts getting dangerously low, I need to eat right there right then. But my stomach is giving off "I'm going to be sick!" signals. Weird!

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2012, 5:43 pm

Noetic wrote:
EstherJ wrote:

People have that?

Gross, he has mustard on his sleeve!

I thought twenty years ago that astronaut food would be all we would eat by now. Why? Because having to prepare and eat food is such a waste of time that no-one would do it if they didn't have to.

Then I gradually realised that other people really do find comfort in it, they prefer it. Yuk.

I feel sick seeing people put much food in their mouths or seeing a tongue in any context, really retching sick. I do a lot of cooking now I have a family, feeding others is a kind of ritual that separates parts of my day, makes me feel like a good family member, but when on my own I forget to eat until I finally work out that's why I'm feeling weak and ill.

And I am a skinny Mom, but my kids are healthy (and surprisingly normal LOL)

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 5:59 pm

I hate cooking just for myself. It takes so much time and effort for what, 20 mins max of pleasure? It's such a chore.

I've found now that making a slow-cooker recipe for 4 and freezing 3 portions in microwaveable pots helps me eat in the evenings. The number of times I have gone without as my stomach is empty and telling me to eat but I don't know what I want to eat. If someone put a plateful of food in front of me I'd eat it, but trying to decide for myself what I want is impossible at times. Having a couple of options in the freezer narrows the choice down and makes things a bit simpler for me.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2012, 6:03 pm

Not at all. I'm fat, but I'm trying to lose weight.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

I love food so have never been underwheight.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

I'm naturally thin (high metabolism). My wife is definately not underweight, unless you're comparing against balaenoptera musculus :lol:

We both eat when we're hungry - generally microwavable stuff, but I don't see that as an AS trait more a not liking cooking trait.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
i am not nor have ever been underweight or had any trouble with food. there was a period when i looked rather gaunt due to heavy drug abuse but thats not the same.
i dont understand what this thread is about. is this a continuation of another thread..this op looks more like a reply than an op and makes 0 sense without further context..im not underweight.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

I'm underweight, but It's not that I have an eating disorder or something, I usually only eat what LOOKS good to me, I judge food by It's texture and smell If I don't like it I'll only eat it when I'm hungry or starwing to death.

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

I'm overweight, I suppose, despite the fact that I do constantly forget to eat. I lose my appetite when I'm depressed or busy and I can run myself into passing out before noticing. Also, if food isn't good quality, I will not eat it. My family shares this peculiarity, though, so this hasn't been much of a problem in my life. :D

Although, when I move out on my own, it's quite likely that I will forget to eat on a regular basis.... :?

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:17 pm

I am underweight, because I have no attachment to food.
This started right from birth and age 1 I already had underweight.
This is still a big issue for me and now as I have formed attachment to my psychologist the aim is to use this attachment to incorporate into feeding myself.
But it's a hard one.
I do not count calories or anything, I just have trouble feeling the sensation of being hungry and if (low bloodpressure) to perform the actions what it takes to provide me with food.
I am very picky in eating and only eat one food at a time (if there is a salad I would start eating the corn, then the tomatoes and go onlike that).
The food can touch though.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.