Do you ever take things literally or too seriously?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:39 pm

For example, my brother told me hes going out, I said where, he said I gotta bring my car, down the street. Ok, there is nothing down the street but more houses and a bay haha, so here I'm sitting here wonderng where he went. My mother had to explain that it meant hes not going far he'll be back in a bit.

Another example, my boyfriend says he'll be here in 5 minutes, me thinking okay, 5 minutes it is, sitting here watching the clock, 5 minutes rolls by, I freak out! Turns out 5 minutes can mean 5-10minutes, can mean real soon, can mean I'm right around the corner.

One more example, this lady calls from one of the big brother/big sister agencies, tells me "I'll call you right back", here I am sitting by the phone waiting, waiting, and waiting, turns out call you right back can mean either call you tommorrow, or maybe later that night, or maybe in the near future.

Anybody else take things too seriously or too literally? I swear, my brain takes vacations, and leaves me sitting here empty headed haha :roll: .

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:41 pm

Yes, I do too! I often don't understand jokes.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:43 pm

A few times when I was really depressed, and a few times before too, but it was nothing to make note of; I think everyone has times like that.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:44 pm

Age1600 wrote:
For example, my brother told me hes going out, I said where, he said I gotta bring my car, down the street. Ok, there is nothing down the street but more houses and a bay haha, so here I'm sitting here wonderng where he went. My mother had to explain that it meant hes not going far he'll be back in a bit.

Another example, my boyfriend says he'll be here in 5 minutes, me thinking okay, 5 minutes it is, sitting here watching the clock, 5 minutes rolls by, I freak out! Turns out 5 minutes can mean 5-10minutes, can mean real soon, can mean I'm right around the corner.

One more example, this lady calls from one of the big brother/big sister agencies, tells me "I'll call you right back", here I am sitting by the phone waiting, waiting, and waiting, turns out call you right back can mean either call you tommorrow, or maybe later that night, or maybe in the near future.

Anybody else take things too seriously or too literally? I swear, my brain takes vacations, and leaves me sitting here empty headed haha :roll: .

Constantly. It's not just you.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

All the time, which of course causes a variety of misunderstandings.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

SteelMaiden wrote:

Yea me 2! Everybody I know, knows after they say something saracastic or funny, they have to literally tell me, "I was sarcastic, or I was making a joke" then I can laugh and be like oh ahaha.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2007, 12:45 pm

only if I'm the subject of a joke. I take most everything negative then and get tense.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 12:47 pm

Very often. Sometimes I'll catch my error, but still be wondering why they wouldn't just be more exact? More often I'll just be sitting there clueless. The worst is saying something that gives it away. I always feel dumb.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 1:29 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Yea me 2! Everybody I know, knows after they say something saracastic or funny, they have to literally tell me, "I was sarcastic, or I was making a joke" then I can laugh and be like oh ahaha.

My Mum has to tell me "that was a joke" after all but the most obvious jokes. I've asked some really stupid questions in class because I have misunderstood the teacher.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 1:39 pm

Just yesterday I was asked how long it would take me to write a program at work. I knew it was a ballpark estimate for pricing to quote the customer and that the work would begin after the quoting was done and the payment received, so in a couple of weeks minimum. They asked if I thought 3 days would be enough and I looked at the calendar and said that wouldn't work as I am on vacation next week. A moment of confusion later and I realized what I had done. :oops:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 1:53 pm

So many times a person will make a certain kind of joke and I will respond with anger or upset...
and my upset is only perpetuated when i find out that they are joking...and then I get embarrased, and then I can't intrract with them again.

examples:

I was working the door at my venue and I told the guy it was 7 dollars and he started walking slowly out the door...and I say to him..."what...you don't have any money?" (we let people in if they don't)....and he says "I was just joking, girl"...To which he received my puzzled frown which means he has already become a source of interraction-stress for me.

Another time i was working the door and I guess I was mimicing a phrase Flakey uses..he says "we have 7 dollars" and I say it to this guy and he says.."You have 7 dollars for ME?"
And although I knew he was joking...my gut was to take it seriously..and so i kinda responded negatively.

I am a petty petty little person.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 2:02 pm

kclark wrote:
Just yesterday I was asked how long it would take me to write a program at work. I knew it was a ballpark estimate for pricing to quote the customer and that the work would begin after the quoting was done and the payment received, so in a couple of weeks minimum. They asked if I thought 3 days would be enough and I looked at the calendar and said that wouldn't work as I am on vacation next week. A moment of confusion later and I realized what I had done. :oops:

I don't understand. :(

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 2:06 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

Same wid me.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 2:48 pm

My cousin's husband is a prankster who loves bamboozling me. When I was younger, every time we visited them and were to eat dinner with them, I always asked obsessively if that meal was fresh for sure because I was afraid I could have problems with my stomach having eaten a bad meal :? Every time he answered that soup we were going to eat was cooked the previous day and he sounded serious so before he put me right, I refused eating something what could cause a disease in me. Even now he likes joking this way with me :x

Anyway asking on forum of this kind if there's someone who also takes things too seriously or too literally is like asking on forum for fat people if there's someone who also is overweight. :lol:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 9:14 pm

People have told me that I tend to take things too seriously. I don't think literally, and have been told I have a good sense of humor. However, I am very serious about things I feel need to be taken seriously.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 10:26 pm

Yes, apparently I am very literal and take things way to seriously.