Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2012, 5:53 am

Alcohol is essential for me to engage in social occasions of any magnitude. Of course, there are all the negatives of excessive alcohol consumption, but in a social setting its irresistible. Either I drink or I go home. WhenI was in my early twenties and hadn'tdiscovered alcohol yet, I was a total nerd. Completely void of any social nous. When I was still at school, attending the local church youth was a huge undertaking. I only did it because my one good friend badly wanted me to go along with him. He had to assist me with shopping for half decent clothes for the purpose. I didn't own anything suitable and had no fashion sense at all.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 12:12 pm

Yes, indeed; they are.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 12:46 pm

When there is more than 6 or so people there, or the people I don't know outnumber the people I know, then yes, it sucks.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 1:20 pm

Depends how loud it is. If it is quiet and spread out enough then I can stand them but rarely go.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 1:30 pm

My kind of party has no more people than I have fingers on one hand. Any more than that and yes, it's torture.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:00 pm

If the people are boring, stuck up and douchy, yes they are.
If the people are funny and interesting, they are fun.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

That depends on the party... Like, how many people are there, whether or not I know most of them, and where the party is located. For instance, if you cram a f**kton of people I don't know into a small space where I have to constantly squeeze between people and rub up against them, then it's torture. But a small celebration among people I know and like in a comfortable place isn't torture at all. It also depends on the music being played(if any)... What music is being played and how loud it is are important because I'm pretty picky about my music, and if it's loud to the point where I can't hear people trying to talk to me, then I have to constantly ask them to repeat themselves, and that's annoying. I already have to ask people to repeat things enough as it is simply because of my audio processing impairment.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

The party I attended last night turned out not to be so tortuous after all. Very nice people, very accepting of each other, a relaxing atmosphere (there were only nine of us, mostly strangers but again very accepting people) and good food. I had a couple of beers - a really excellent IPA - which helped me open up and relax, and I indulged myself in a piece of cake. (CAKE!! !) I even slept well afterwards - maybe all the hops helped.

So sometimes it's not so tortuous. (Whew!) That doesn't stop me from expecting tortuous, though. Too many bad experiences.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:41 pm

Depends on the party, if it's a few of my friends, no more than six or seven, and we hang out together playing games and stuff, yeah that's fun, a real party with 20-30 guests, many of whom I don't know? Forget it. It's too loud and too bright and the food typically sucks (it's always snacks like cheese, crackers, little vegetables and gross-smelling dips) and I'm always stuck between boredom -- where I just sit there and fester in the noise in a corner by myself -- and anxiety, when a stranger comes up to me and tries to make small talk, only to discover that I don't know how, and we either stand there awkwardly, or I wind up listening to this person's life story while smiling and nodding and looking for the nearest escape. Every time there's a party now, I bring a book and earplugs with me. Did it for my step-brother's graduation party and both my mother and my mother's friend's wedding receptions. I just think parties are dumb, I haven't had a birthday party since I was ten.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 8:02 pm

I agree StarTrekker!

I've always enjoyed small get togethers with people I know - relaxing, etc.

Big loud parties with lots of strangers - I think I'd rather have a root canal 8O

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm

TallyMan wrote:
felinesaresuperior wrote:
do you think parties are torture?

What, like BDSM parties? :P

Damn it! I was going to say that! :evil:

kat333
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

Yes, torture for me. I despise them and if I ever go to one I spend the whole time feeling painfully uncomfortable, self conscious and bored.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:28 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Depends on the party, if it's a few of my friends, no more than six or seven, and we hang out together playing games and stuff, yeah that's fun, a real party with 20-30 guests, many of whom I don't know? Forget it. It's too loud and too bright and the food typically sucks (it's always snacks like cheese, crackers, little vegetables and gross-smelling dips) and I'm always stuck between boredom -- where I just sit there and fester in the noise in a corner by myself -- and anxiety, when a stranger comes up to me and tries to make small talk, only to discover that I don't know how, and we either stand there awkwardly, or I wind up listening to this person's life story while smiling and nodding and looking for the nearest escape. Every time there's a party now, I bring a book and earplugs with me. Did it for my step-brother's graduation party and both my mother and my mother's friend's wedding receptions. I just think parties are dumb, I haven't had a birthday party since I was ten.

Yeah, this is how I feel about parties too. A small group of close friends or family? Sure, that's fine; I might not be super talkative, but I enjoy the company, and the people I'm around know what to expect from me. A larger party--say, a company holiday party or something of those lines? No thank you. I have no clue how to initiate casual conversation, and I rely mostly on the other person to carry the conversation. And I don't know if I have some sort of sensory thing going on, but I sometimes get anxious at parties where it's loud and in a relatively confined space.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:37 am

Any party at all is totally useless for me. I don't enough people that get along enough to make a successful party.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:46 am

I despise all parties even if it was with people I know.
I abhor even small amounts of banal small talk.
I enjoy deep conversations with brilliant people one on one or with 3 people maximum.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:46 am

Yup. Family get-togethers are torture for me. Add to that the fact that there are a lot of kids there, screaming and hollering, and I run straight out the door. This is why I haven't been to many family parties as of recently.