Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 12:51 am

i really can't stand shopping for clothes and shoes. that, coupled with the fact that when i like something enough to wear it, i wear it until it literally falls apart from overuse or age. .... and now my shoes have fallen apart. i usually mail order from a company i like, but i realized it is not only holiday time, but i've got my assessment for AS this coming friday. it might take longer than that for shoes to arrive in the mail.

what would you do in a similar situation? i want to just wait until i get around to ordering after the holidays, but that would mean walking around with falling apart shoes or going barefoot. personally, i don't have issues doing either, (i prefer being barefooted nearly all the time), but consider the psychologist might find me too odd.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 12:58 am

You only have one pair?

No trainers anywhere?

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 1:05 am

i only like one pair at a time.

i do have my pair of work moccasins, but they're not much better than my really worn out shoes.

i don't know what trainers are.

scarter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2012, 2:16 am

Order online from someplace like Walmart or Amazon. I'm pretty sure you can get stuff delivered overnight, at least from Amazon, although you'll pay a lot more for shipping.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

heh. the problem is not with being able to acquire shoes in time, and without going to a store. i could easily go to a local store to buy shoes, but that would require me to try on shoes. i truly dislike the whole experience of shopping for shoes (and clothes, too). for me, the problem is not so much going to the store, but the whole circumstance involved in selecting a pair that i like, that looks comfortable is in my size. there are so many to choose from. too many are uncomfortable or not what i'd like to see on my feet. all the different shoe brands have different ideas of what size is my size, and then finding what i like and is comfortable in my size seems to become akin to the quest for the holy grail in shoe form.

with the company that i've been ordering from for a few years now, i know that when i order size 4, it is the same size 4 that i always buy. the textures and fit are what i'm comfortable wearing, and i like that i can choose a color or print that i like without changing my particular preference in size and comfort.

i guess i'm not so much looking for a solution. if i feel it becoming a matter of importance to wear a new pair, i'll sturdy myself and brave the aisles of the shoe department. but i am really curious if anybody else has such extreme feelings about shopping.

dvvv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2012, 11:09 am

ok, i know you said you are not so much looking for a solution, but couldn't you find the same brand of shoe that you order online in a local store? would be the same size and fit then. otherwise, you could use the advantage of being able to try on shoes to overcome the difficulty of not knowin whether something fits.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

MaKin wrote:
i really can't stand shopping for clothes and shoes. that, coupled with the fact that when i like something enough to wear it, i wear it until it literally falls apart from overuse or age. .... and now my shoes have fallen apart. i usually mail order from a company i like, but i realized it is not only holiday time, but i've got my assessment for AS this coming friday. it might take longer than that for shoes to arrive in the mail.

what would you do in a similar situation? i want to just wait until i get around to ordering after the holidays, but that would mean walking around with falling apart shoes or going barefoot. personally, i don't have issues doing either, (i prefer being barefooted nearly all the time), but consider the psychologist might find me too odd.

I could never, ever go barefoot! I cannot stand the thought of my feet ever touching any surface except while showering. Rest of the time they either have socks or shoes or both. I catch too many fungi when barefoot or step on stuff that requires medical attention. Happened all the time when I went barefoot in my youth. One time I had to get stitches, another time surgery to remove something stuck in my foot. Nowadays it's not a matter of fearing foot injury, just being disgusted by the thought of them touching contaminated surfaces. They demand protection and I provide it. I do wear flip flops and sandals in summer.

Shoes are another issue entirely and the real reason I don't like shopping for my feet. My feet are wider than average so women's shoes do not fit them at all. This is the reason I hate shopping for shoes. I have to go online and get ee or eee shoes. Boots present their own set of circumstances. I need my boots to be wider than average but all the boots at these websites that sell wider shoes are for people with extremely large calves. Well, I don't have large calves so I am afraid to buy any boots. I don't want to have them shipped only to discover gaping holes on the sides from these gigantic calf openings. That would look so funky!

Basically I hate shopping for shoes and my dream is to have mine custom made. My Great Grandmother had the same foot and they used to make shoes for women with that foot but now all of them are made for people with really narrow feet. I want to return to the days of custom made shoes.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

That sounds too much like myself. I have since taken to purchasing shoes (on clearance) a couple pairs at a time, since it is next to impossible to find anything that is both comfortable and suits my personal tastes (must be wide width-D, have high-tops (mid can be acceptible, but still must have enough shoe to cover my ankles), have copious cushioning and have arch support. It's also preferable that if they're "branded," the logo is not conspicuous).

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

I prefer to be barefoot as well..never ever wear socks or shoes at home and I wear Birkenstocks unless it's ridiculously cold (or raining) because they feel closer to barefoot than any other shoe I've tried.

I don't struggle too much with shoe shopping b/c I've bought the same brands over and over and know which size to get but I HATE clothes shopping. I cannot handle dressing rooms. I will make an educated guess about size, buy something and bring it back if it doesn't fit.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

When I go to the psychologist, the first thing I do is kick off my shoes and plunk down on the floor. If I have socks on - and I don't like socks but I have to travel to get there and its been cold, so it is a safety-thing - I pull them off, too. I think I have the best psychologist - I can be "me" entirely.

I also kick off my shoes in university classes - though if I worry they are smelly, I go tuck them behind the garbage can in the front corner of the room. No one pays much attention, though I've made a prof laugh - but he is quirky, too :D

I HATE clothes and shoe shopping, As a woman, I get stuck sometimes - bleah. I am like you in that I buy the same pair of shoes. Mine are available off the store shelf, so I do run in and grab them. They are black runners - I would wear them with everything, but I have a couple of comfy sandal-thingies in case I have to dress up a bit.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

Look for different stores in your area that might have your brand.

I've been wearing Rockports for years and they're not easy to find. I never see them in places like Walmart or other superstores. I found a place nearby called Famous Footwear that has a limited quantity of them.

When I need new shoes again, which may be soon, I'll call them and other similar stores to check for availability and prices.