Seattle Aspies: Need help finding a doctor

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Nikadee43
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2012, 4:34 pm

My health insurance has been activated through my work, and I'm trying to find a therapist who specializes in Autism Spectrum Disorders who is hopefully in my network. I'm under the Blue Cross PPO plan. Does anyone have the same plan and/or can recommend a doctor in the area? I'm seeking diagnosis as well as someone to see on a regular basis. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

I got my diagnosis from a clinical therapist. Doctors generally don't just treat adults on the spectrum. What they treat are illnesses that could be related to it like anxiety, depression, etc.

Terra Therapy

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2012, 5:55 pm

I'm a Pacific Northwester myself, and in the same boat. Just started emailing therapists today, actually.
Best of luck!

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2012, 2:11 am

What I did was Google local psychologists who specialized in treating patients with Autism Spectrum Disorders which led me to emailing a local therapist asking what I should do about my suspicions. She ended up calling me back and after talking for a few minutes, said she'd email me a list of places she typically refers her patients looking for assessment and to make sure I mention she referred me. At the top of the list (and the only place I remembered after accidentally perma-deleting the email *face palm*) was Ryther. Anyway, (trying to so hard to cut to the point), I ended up contacting Ryther (www.ryther.org), making an initial appointment where they deemed a full assessment was necessary and then going through my full assessment with them.
A few things;
-They typically treat children and teens but will also assess adults up to about 25. I'm not sure how set in stone this is or if it was a joke.
-I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Basic and the co-pay for the entire assessment was just $25. $25 and done.
-They have offices in North Seattle (closer to Northgate) and Bellevue; my appointments were always in Seattle.
-The waiting room there can be an absolute nightmare for Aspie's; running, screaming, yelling children at times...I was terrified, haha.
-I haven't received my diagnosis yet (appointment is Dec. 12th) and so I'm not sure what to say about the whole procedure. It's definitely very, very stressful; the assessment was 5.5 hours of testing with only a ten minute break. Think, mind-melting. Obviously, it's worth it but expect to go nearly insane if you also have ADHD. If I remember right, there were at least three or four other places she'd listed on the email so I'd do my research and find a place you're really comfortable with.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 6:37 am

I was diagnosed by a neurologist, a Dr. Gary Stobbe. In my case, the process started with getting my GP to refer me to a neurologist, and then a series of interviews, including of my family members. I was told that I was particularly hard to diagnose, as I'm considered on the high end of high functioning, and had rather developed coping mechanisms by the time I was diagnosed. I think for someone with a more clear cut case it wouldn't be quite such a long process, but I would recommend starting with a neurologist.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

Hello. A good place for autism therapy in Washington is "The Center" in Federal Way. They do not take insurance but seem to just take a donation per session. You can find them at http://www.the-center.co/index.html
If your insureance is good, you should get a full on eval from Dr. Edwin Hill in Tacoma @ Advanced Behavioral Medicine. Look him up on google. I have had several evaluations before and his seem to cover everything more so than anywhere else.

Nikadee43

18 Dec 2012, 3:00 pm

Thanks everyone. This is all really helpful.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2012, 5:37 am

mine doesn't but he is pretty chill and doesn't want to psycho analyze everything i do so i stick with him....he's not an aspie or autism speciallist...

i was supposed to meat with one in the building but i missed the appointment....thinking of making another but my insurance has required the co-pay at the door now...which i cannot afford often...so we'll see.
(used to be able to say "bill me please") and get a few weeks to pay the bill.