Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

I am a 'self-diagnosed' Aspie but I'm having doubts on whether I have asperger's. I meet the criteria in order to be considered as someone with Aspegers but I had a delay in language development and didn't start speaking single words until I was four years old.

I looked at the DSM-IV and I have all the characteristics listed under the section for qualitative impairment in social interaction and have one (B)
characteristic under the section for restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities.

I have also looked at avoidant personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder and social anxiety and after researching them have come to the conclusion that I have none of those disorders but I strongly think I am on the autism spectrum.

However, I should point out that I have asked a lot of my family and friends who know a lot about psychology and none of them think I am on the autism spectrum.

What do you think?

Edit: I'm just asking for anyone's opinion on whether or not they think if someone can have Asperger's and also have a delay in language development.

Last edited by AJ89 on 21 Dec 2012, 2:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 2:18 am

Better to have a trained psychologist answer this one for you, as opposed to a bunch of random people off the interwebs ;).

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2012, 2:36 am

If you had a speech delay, you'd be diagnosed with Autism.

That was the major reason that Asperger's and Autism are being put into the same catch-phrase. There was not enough evidence that speech-delay Autism differed from speech-normal Aspergers.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Dec 2012, 2:57 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
If you had a speech delay, you'd be diagnosed with Autism.

That was the major reason that Asperger's and Autism are being put into the same catch-phrase. There was not enough evidence that speech-delay Autism differed from speech-normal Aspergers.

Autism or PDD-NOS.

Or next year, autism spectrum disorder.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:02 am

I had a speech delay and I still got diagnosed with Asperger's. The reason for it is because I had hearing loss in my toddler years so I didn't really get to learn language and I needed speech therapy so I can learn to speak and form the words. I couldn't just learn to speak on my own because my brain was beyond that development so I needed help.

So yes aspies can have a speech delay.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 7:43 am

With a language delay, you cannot technically be diagnosed with Aspergers (though there probably are some people out there with such a diagnosis). If you are on the spectrum, the proper diagnosis would be Autism/Autistic Disorder, or--if you do not have all the symptoms for that but are definitely on the spectrum--PDD-NOS.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 7:56 am

Gillberg's Criteria for Asperger's allows it

If you're displaying symptoms of Asperger's as a teenager or adult, even if you had a speech delay as a toddler; they can diagnose you with Asperger's based on your current picture (this is likely)

Pedantically, without any other symptoms of Autistic Disorder as a child, you'll get PDD-NOS if it's Asperger's with a delay in speech (DSM-IV-TR)

Depends on the institution. They'll rarely give you Autistic Disorder if you present as Asperger's as an adult.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

I had a language delay and I got Diagnosed with both Aspergers and autism! :shrug: I guess Im an http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aspinaut

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList