do you suffer from general anxiety?
i suffer/have suffered from general anxiety in the past 92%  92%  [ 73 ]
i never suffered from general anxiety 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 79

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

i do, ever since i was maybe six, or maybe before but i dont remember that early. i'd sit on a bus real tense and wait for an accident... that kind of thing. and i'd worry and fuss. i still do. i worry something might happen to my brother or nieces. i dont mind asperger syndrome itself, but the anxiety bothers me a lot. sometimes i'd just get so afraid something might happen to my nieces and feel miserable because of it. especially i would worry more when they were little, and what's funny, whenever they started screaming and running around and making noise, my anxiety would get worse!

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Oh yes, I'm almost continually extremely worried. For me it started somewhat later than in your case, I guess I was around 20 or so. There are periods, though, when it's easier to live, but I know in advance that I'll soon find something to worry about. It's not a little strange to know that most if not all of my worries are the product of my mind, and still feel the worries.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

General anxiety, job anxiety, social anxiety, performance anxiety

Hi

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

Every day.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

Why yes I have generalized anxiety disorder. Used to be non-stop anxiety until I went on ssri's

And yes I have ocd also...so it was hard. compulsions and anxiety ruled my life.

Autism is the easiest to deal with, Anxiety disorders are very very scary.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:13 pm

Dreycrux wrote:
Why yes I have generalized anxiety disorder. Used to be non-stop anxiety until I went on ssri's

And yes I have ocd also...so it was hard. compulsions and anxiety ruled my life.

Autism is the easiest to deal with, Anxiety disorders are very very scary.

i also have ocd and had adhd and social phobias and depression and whatnot. you're in good company, then. oh, i forgot, noise anxiety, too. but my general anxiety isnt non stop, though. at some point in my childhood, it might have been nearly every day, but it didnt last all day long. this is unbearable.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

Vomelche wrote:
General anxiety, job anxiety, social anxiety, performance anxiety

Hi

hi to you too

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Generalized anxiety and emetophobia checking in. The psychologist who assessed me for Asperger's said she was worried that my generalized anxiety could quickly become agoraphobia if I don't seek treatment. Unfortunately, the stress of the whole assessment has actually caused a significant increase in my anxiety since then. I was the same as you OP, especially as a kid. I'd go through phases, months at a time, where I'd be completely preoccupied with the thought that someone I cared about or needed, would die. My ex-girlfriend thought I was controlling, always requesting phone calls and excessive check-ins, but the truth was, I was constantly concerned about her safety because I knew how important she was to me. Things got substantially worse in college, unfortunately. Anyway, nice to not be alone.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

Yes, in fact when I was diagnosed with Asperger's, the psychologist said that anxiety disorder was my comorbid condition. After SSRI's made me suicidal, I don't trust psychological medication anymore, and would rather try other forms of treatment for anxiety.

Arduino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

I think anxiety is one of the biggies that Aspies have to cope with . I believe it is a far bigger issue than Aspergers itself. I have always had it and it hardly ever goes away for long. I have been really really I'll with it and it has destroyed a good chunk of my life. When you have been suicidal several times and see no release, the system here in the UK, just does not help. I was committed to mental hospital twice to protect myself. It is no joke and is a big problem still for me.

Anxiety going out, meeting people, phone and door bell.... it's a big list. The biggest problem I have is the anxiety of meeting neurotypicals who think I am odd, rude, or just awkward. Sometimes I think that if I had a big banner saying " I have Aspergers, it's not my fault", It might help me, but then I might get picked upon.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

Diagnosed with GAD. Difficult to to anything without getting overly anxious/stressed out about it.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Social anxiety, which causes me a great deal of trouble in school and with confronting teachers, relatives and even old friends. I don't think I have general anxiety, though.

ADoyle90815 wrote:
Yes, in fact when I was diagnosed with Asperger's, the psychologist said that anxiety disorder was my comorbid condition. After SSRI's made me suicidal, I don't trust psychological medication anymore, and would rather try other forms of treatment for anxiety.

How long did you take them? Increased suicidal thoughts are not uncommon in the first few weeks, especially for people under 25. Of course, if you took them for longer than that and still had problems, then you absolutely made the right decision to stay off of them. I'm just curious, and hope you're okay.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:41 pm

I've had GAD my whole life. Medication keeps the panic attacks under control, but I still worry an awful lot.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

Well I don't have GAD, or at least I was never dx with.
But I'm also worrying too much. I once had symptoms close to PTSD and there my constant anxiety was terrible.
But I don't think I've an anxiety disorder. "Just" being more anxious than the general pobulation how I see it.

When I'm depressive, I tend to be to anxious, sometimes waaay to anxious, but far less when I'm not depressed. So I would say the anxiety comes from the depression.

I'm trying lysine at the moment against my anxiety.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:56 pm

I did get a diagnosis of GAD at some point before my AS diagnosis. My current psychiatrist just gave me diagnoses of AS and OCD.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:49 pm

Diagnosed with GAD two years ago...my psychologist thinks I have this instead of any autism spectrum diagnoses. Worrying is my middle name, and my worries do significantly interfere with my life in many ways.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.