Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2013, 7:09 am

Valueman wrote:
What challenges, or other life changes have you had schooling, work and other ( social groups ,family)

School is difficult for me, but I've always had good teachers and my parents there to help me. I don't know about work because I'm still in school. In social groups I have a lot of troubles, but I was able to have a few friends, and that's enough for me, since I don't want many friends but just a few people I can trust. My family has always been supportive, my parents do what they can with 2 children on the spectrum (me and my brother), so I can't really complain.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 7:44 am

A lot of people seem to be replying by saying what traits it has given them and in some cases where/how they use them.

I personally answered the original question 'nothing', because yes I have some academic abilities from having AS but they have done nothing for me, the abilities I have haven't got me anywhere in life due to the very same condition that caused them.

So I answered the question simply and literally.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Ruined it

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

what life?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

Well, it used to do something for me, but what has it done for me LATE-LEE????

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

It has made getting jobs harder than most because while I look great on paper, the interview is the biggest obstacle as I've never been hired after an interview. The thing that led me to get diagnosed with Asperger's was being kicked out of an internship program because you had to go through an interview before you would start the internship.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

I'll just focus on the positive:

It's given me an "alternate perspective" on life that escapes most of the Normals. It's forced me to be more humble in my dealings with others, and more compassionate.

I don't want to talk about the negative because it just depresses me.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

ADoyle90815 wrote:
It has made getting jobs harder than most because while I look great on paper, the interview is the biggest obstacle as I've never been hired after an interview. The thing that led me to get diagnosed with Asperger's was being kicked out of an internship program because you had to go through an interview before you would start the internship.

Ironically I have mostly done great on job interviews because of my cultivated front. Once I've been in the jobs it's been a different matter. My face usually didn't fit, I suffered workplace bullying and where I wasn't craftily made redundant whilst on maternity leave or sacked, I had to leave through stress from the bullying. I now see my persona as a curse. It leads people to believe they are getting something they aren't. I think my husband would probably take the same view.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Valueman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

Thank you for all replies, and continuing replies.

Valueman

Someweirdo

04 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

Ruined it.