Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2013, 5:00 am

No, I'm a fast reader, I love reading.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 6:32 am

My reading speed is way faster than average.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2013, 6:41 am

Quote:
do you think that people with Asperger's Syndrome tend to read at a slower pace than NTs?

No. It changes from person to person, just like NTs. But personally, yes, I tend to read at a slower pace, unless the book is full of pictures.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 7:05 am

I've always by fast reader, to the point that people don't believe I am actually reading the words.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 7:21 am

I'm a fast reader. I read the Lord of the Rings in two days when I was 11 (and read it many times over in the years thereafter). Of course it also helps if I'm interested in the reading material.

My Dad and I made an interesting observation when we were watching a movie with subtitles once. A funny line appeared on the screen and instantly I started laughing. Dad took longer to laugh. It seems that I take in multiple words at once, whereas Dad reads one word at a time. I'm officially diagnosed. He is not, but has so many Aspie traits that it would not surprise me if he is on the spectrum.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 10:14 am

I read at an average pace. It mostly depends on the person though. Some NTs read quicker than others, some Aspies read quicker than others, and vice versa.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

noxnocturne wrote:
I'm just curious...do you think that people with Asperger's Syndrome tend to read at a slower pace than NTs? I ask this because of my own experiences.

No.

I'm an extremely fast reader.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

I read rather quickly. When I'm focused, I can finish a 400 page novel in a couple of hours.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

I read at an average pace, but it takes me weeks or months to read one book, because I lose interest, and reading is not my thing anyway. I only read things like comic strips, poems, joke books, and books with very short stories in (not necessarily children's books).

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

I am a very quick reader but do not retain much of what I read. My dad who has a lot of AS traits is a very slow reader though. I remain convinced that it was his slow reading that spurned me on to learn to read myself. (Because he was so slow at reading to me)

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

I read faster than average, and I tend to prefer books that people call slow-paced. Not sure if there's a connection there!

MasterGamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

It depends on what I'm reading. If i'm interested, I can finish it quickly. If not, I'll take forever.

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2013, 2:37 pm

As with anything the only way to improve is practice.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

My wife is a fast-reading aspie.

I am too easily distracted. My eyes just can't stay on the page that long. I read aquarium fish encyclopedias with photos, since I can see the fish and care about the blurb on the opposite page long enough to read it.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

perhaps in the early stages of life when the learning process is still ongoing. I have no such issue now. I read several books a month so i imagine my reading speed is at least average if not a little speedier than that.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

I read very, very fast. I even considered trying to break the world record, but I'm too lazy for that.