Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 10:18 am

I'm a bit surprised that social defiencies and routines are considered completely separate aspects in the diagnosis criteria. That's because most of my routines are related to my interaction with other people.

For example:

• When I travel by train, I always try to sit in the same kind of seat, and I feel really uncomfortable when it's occupied. It's the place where I am the least visible to other passengers, and where other people are unlikely to sit next to me.
  • When I go shopping at the local supermarket, my dialog with the cashier is always the same. That's because I feel insecure at social interaction, and these words are "proven to work".
  • I like to buy things in the same places, because I "know how it works", so I can avoid talking to the sales assistants. That's also the main reason why I often eat similar food.
  • I haven't changed my visual appearance (haircut, general clothing style) since childhood. I know that my current appearance is kind-of accepted, and I don't know how people would react at a change.
  • Almost always, I use the same words for saying hello, saying goodbye, opening and closing letters, etc., irrelevant of the context. That's because I have absolutely no idea which one is appropriate. So I use those that are moderately formal, in the hope that it won't be too wrong.
In other parts of my life, I notice that I'm also prone to routines, but I eliminate them using my mind when I notice that they make no sense. For example, I used to always use the same entrance of a certain building, but eventually, I convinced myself that using a different one was more efficient, so I dismissed this routine.

What kinds of routines do you have, and how many of them concern social interaction?

Do you think that experts are aware of this connection?

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

The travel part is true for me - if I recognize a specific bus or train, then I would always aim for the seat where I was sitting during my first time with that particular vehicle. Of course, I prefer single seats, so that there would be no one sitting next to me. The familiar seat gives a sense of comfort that I love :)

When shopping, I always follow the same route through the store. I like it, so no reason to change it. This tendency is even stronger in gaming - always take the same route through the level, even if it's not the best one.

While working on something late in the evening, I keep the TV on - I'm not really watching or listening to it, I just feel better when it's on in the background. It's just a part of the routine.