do you find it hard to distract yourself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:07 pm

if you have an upcoming doctor's appointment coming up, or anything else that causes you anxiety, do you find it very difficult to not think about it? do you obsess about it weeks beforehand, or days beforehand?
i really believe neuro typicals have this way of distracting themselves and not getting all uptight about what lays ahead. i'm not saying they dont get anxious, but they dont obsses about it for so long and so constantly. they forget about it from time to time and only think about what's bothering them on occasions. they distract themselves with tv, work, talk, hobbies, etc.
you have this problem too, or is it just me?

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

Oh, yes indeedy-do - I have this problem big time. I also have the replay-it-for-days follow up to obsess over, too.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 9:47 pm

I don't really have this problem, but only if I have access to some form of electronic "stimulation", like my laptop, or the iPad I'll hopefully be getting as a present in a couple of days.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2012, 10:35 pm

I have this problem big time! If I am worried about something, I find it impossible to distract myself and somehow 'enjoy' the content of the distraction.

Yet, that is what people so often recommend.....I do not understand it. I could be in a funk about some issue, yet people tell us to distract ourselves and that we might ENJOY it. The concept is foreign to me!! I can't turn my mind off like that :x

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
Oh, yes indeedy-do - I have this problem big time. I also have the replay-it-for-days follow up to obsess over, too.

I do obsess beforehand but it seems like the replay is SO much worse.

Beforehand I feel like I have some type of control, I try to predict what will happen, rehearse scenarios and tell myself I am getting prepared, there is still something I can do about it. The replay is completely out of my hands.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

I used to have this problem, but it seems to have faded along with my anxiety since I started zoloft.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 7:31 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
if you have an upcoming doctor's appointment coming up, or anything else that causes you anxiety, do you find it very difficult to not think about it? do you obsess about it weeks beforehand, or days beforehand?
i really believe neuro typicals have this way of distracting themselves and not getting all uptight about what lays ahead. i'm not saying they dont get anxious, but they dont obsses about it for so long and so constantly. they forget about it from time to time and only think about what's bothering them on occasions. they distract themselves with tv, work, talk, hobbies, etc.
you have this problem too, or is it just me?

I've noticed NTs doing distracting or possibly "denial" even type things (depending on the situation). I am not sure how or why they do it or if they actually stress yet they just show no sign of being stressed. (They hide their stress)

To me, a problem is a problem and if it is one that makes me nervous i have to deal with it. I guess if it's something minor i won't obsess too badly. Yet if it is a major issue, i will completely obsess over it until the problem has been fixed or dealt with to the best of my abilities, or to the point where i just can't do anything.

If i am depressed bad, i also am not motivated to do much anything and it can get very bad.