Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

For those of you who have done it was it worth it? I'm considering just coming out and telling everybody what I have and why I'm different (they like to make sure I know I do some non-normal things).

I feel better understand could be beneficial to me and everyone else who talks to me. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about doing it is.

So would coming out really be as helpful as I think it would be or is it better to continue ( poorly) faking being an NT. And if it would be helpful what is the best way go about telling this kind of information to a large group of people (well, I really only need to tell a handful, 20 at max before I've covered everybody I call 'friend'.) I can't think of an efficient way or a good time (the closest this would get to relevant conversation would be someone pointing out one of my oddities).

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

IMO no. Unless its relevant and causing you a significant issue. Also what about just telling ONE in confidence first. Why not trial this plan on a small scale before you "come out".

They will never understand it but may cut you some slack? Personally I think its best that you understand it.

Also please understand I have no context here. You are the best judge.

Last edited by answeraspergers on 12 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

Hey there. I just went through the coming-out process to most of my friends. And it feels like a huge weight is off my chest.

There are a few routes to talking about it - when someone makes a comment on 'why did you just do that', when someone talks about autism or autistic children, when someone talks about having bipolar or whatnot. I like to say, well, as a person with autism, I - like just kinda slip it in there.

That way they sorta do a double take while midstream, or they're more casual about that. Be ready to answer questions and hold their hand through learning about this stuff. Be strong, have confidence when u do it. Actually, confidence will build when you work your way up to it.

We need folks to be out of the closet about this stuff so that we can raise awareness. Kudos to you.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

I did it a while ago and I would be exhausted at the end of the day trying to act normal and now feel better by not putting on an act.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

I'm not 'out-out', because I don't have a confirmed dx, although I've spoken to someone in my universities psychology department who is qualified to dx for research purposes, and she seems to take it as a given that I'm on the spectrum and sees the dx as a technicality required for university services.

But, I've spoken to my friends about my suspicions, my friend with a dx agrees that it makes a lot of sense. I don't modulate much of my behavior (particularly not my stimming etc), except I try to be considerate of potential offense (although I don't do that great of a job of that).

It hasn't really changed my relationship with any of my friends because I displayed all of these behaviors before. If anything it's improved their understanding of my more unusual behaviors.

So, for me it was good. But I do not know your friends, so I cannot say what it will be like for you.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

I feel better 'out of the closet', but I have a whole lotta years trying to keep myself stuffed in. It is your choice and yours alone.