Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Katie-IL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2005, 9:59 pm

I have read in some books about AS that being an elementary school teacher isn't a good career for those on the Autistic Spectrum, because of the unpredictability and the politics dealing with the parents, faculty and school board. But I also am creative and explain things well and see things in a unique perspective. I am going back in the fall to college with my major in Elem. Ed. I also have experience in the mental health system which is good for helping kids deal with problems or sense that something with a child should be looked at. Do you all think this is a good idea or am I getting myself in over my head?

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2005, 10:03 pm

I think that we should do any job that we want to do. NTs want to keep us out of certain jobs, but don't listen to them. The world would be a better place with more Autistic teachers, especially since many kids are Autistic themselves.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2005, 2:57 am

I think an Aspie can make a good teacher. An aspie will often understand a subject on a more fundamental level then others, which helps in teaching I think. Plus the direct language abilities of an Aspie can help in teaching too. With Teaching allways saying what you mean as directly as possible can be an asset.

So I don't think the problem is with teaching exactly. But all the extra fringe things you have to deal with as a teacher. But it's probably nothing more then what Aspies have to deal with in any other profession. An Aspie is probably always going to have to deal with Bosses/coworkers/ stupid rules/ bizarre exectations...

But if you really want to be a teacher then go for it.

Personally I am looking at trying to become a professional full time Math Tutor. I'd like to teach, but don't think I could handle all the extra stuff that Teachers have to put up with. And Teaching one-on-one would be easier for me... so I can really know if the person I am teaching fully understands the concepts. I don't know if it's possible to make a carrer out of Tutoring, but I am going to try.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2005, 3:04 am

I want to be a professor at a university when I get older... if it's any consolation...

I'm like Noam Chomsky... only less whiny and self-righteous...

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2005, 10:46 am

I think it's a great idea. Originally, I never saw myself as a teacher, but nowadays, I think I do. My major is Special Education in the Elementary School system, and I'm pretty proud of my decision.

First, it's different than being a regular classroom teacher teaching lots of children (that I couldn't do), but working with a small group of students I can do.

Second, I kind of want to see myself as a role model for other students in the Special Ed. program. Somebody who, they can look up to and think that if she can do, maybe I can too.

Third, the parent-teacher conferences. Something that I might not be looking forward too, but it's not something that happens every day and it's just something that's just got to be done. Anyways, my experiences with being in the program myself, might give some insight to the parents in helping that child out more.

Also, one more thing. I love to tutor kids in homework, and i've always loved helping out where i can, but me working with kids is something that i've never really enjoyed. Inever really was good around small children my whole life. Oh, well. This is gnna be a new challenge and I'm ready to for anything. Besides, I might never know what it's like until I try it.

That's my talk on me.

If thi9
s is something that you're really interested go fr it. You can do anything that you want. here's my feeling on it, don' listen to what society is saying, listen to yourself. You know what you want and it' you who is going to make the choice. So you decide what you want. Teaching is a great field to get into, if you like to help kids, teach, etc. (even if *SOME* parents[like mine] and others don't want their children to become teachers. It's just something that my friend told me and she's going for a Special Education/Elementary Education license.)

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2005, 11:50 am

Honestly, I would make an excellent teacher, but there is no way I could teach Elem Ed. I used to volunteer in my Mom's 3rd grade classroom, before I had my baby. I tutored her Asperger's and Tourette's kids, as well as the kids who were a little slower than the others.

My Mom is a big time disciplinarian, but the noise, the flourescent lights, the other teachers wanting to socialize all the time, drove me up the wall. I liked working with the kids one on one, but being in a classroom with 23 kids is an Aspie nightmare, in my opinion. The parents can be horrible and also it was hard for me to handle kids coming into class in cat urine smell (parents are meth addicts) and messy hair and hungry. Not all kids were like this, but even if they were well cared for, their parents were tended to be defensive and rude.

When one is a teacher, one has to deal with all sorts of social-economic issues and one's moral values are constantly tested and shocked.

I thought I should be an Elem teacher until I actually spent time in a classroom and I now know that would have been a huge mistake.

My suggestion is to volunteer in a classroom, and see how you can handle it.

You might want to consider a private school, where more parents are interested in their childrens' educations.

This is obviously my personal experience, but I would hate to see anyone set themselves up to fail. I have already done that in my life and I have to switch careers as soon as my baby is in school.

Tallgirl.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2005, 11:33 pm

One time I went to this volunteer group, where we looked after these kids. I don't remember what it was about exactly. I do remember though, I ignored the other kids, and just hung out with the boy who was alone playing with bugs and worms.

So I realized, that I wouldn't be good in a situation where I take care of kids, because I would be biased towards feeling the outcasts were better. That because I really can't relate at all to "popular" people, that it'd be unfair of me to put myself in a position where I'd be showing an obvious bias against them. Not to mention that I'd probaly be hated by the faculty, who feels the bias should go the opposite direction.

I also was kind of surprised, that bugs and worms weren't as gross as I remembered them. :lol:

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2005, 9:45 am

There is another Aspie lady on one of the parenting boards I go to that is a Special Ed teacher and has kids of her own at home. She says she really likes it as she can understand the kids a bit better and all and feels that helps her help them.

schnerd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Mar 2005, 11:45 am

I don’t know about teaching, but I want to bean Occupational therapist. I have wondered at times if the different interpersonal issues outside of direct client interaction might make this a difficult job for me, but it is something I think I would enjoy and do well, so I will work to overcome or mask those issues.
Do what fulfils you.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Mar 2005, 3:05 pm

I used to teach in private adult college. I was teaching electronics, computers and networking. That was, to date, the best job i had. Teaching to adult that are doing a "return to school" program was the best. They are motivated and they are more mature. Anyway if they saw my problem, they never mentionned anything about it and they never tried to "bullied" me.

I have no problem in a classroom full of poeple because i know what to expect, and i know that everybody expect the same thing. There is no role playing game, nobody tries to take control over other, well inside the group yes, but never over me !

The setup is clear, I am the teacher, they are the students. I am the one who knows, they are the one who wants to know. If ever the discussion is taking a wrong turn, i have the power the bring it back, and they even expect me to do that.

My explanations were of an exemplary clarity, no details were left out. They never caught me not knowing a part of the subject. I could do decimal to binary conversion and vice versa in my head, so rapidly i was able to calculate IP adresses and netmask before they finish entering the numbers into thier calculator!, they were really impressed. I was able to exactly cite (word for word) things that had been said months earlier. They took notes so they knew i was right.

Even when i went to the cafeteria to eat with the student (i did that just 2 or 3 times over a session), everybody wanted to be next to me, they respected me, i was then the "cool teacher" who is freindly with the student.

I was appreciated !

Think about all that, if you are gifted in some area it could help you gained respect. Remember that, in my case, it was in an adult classroom. I don't think i would have been able to do anything near that with kids. I would probably not be able to stand a full class of kids more than 5 min.

Hope you find your way....

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2005, 1:26 am

I'm thinking of becoming a teacher. I have some fears about how to handle all the social things, but I think like anything I want to learn, it will take a certain amount of time. I'm thinking of becoming an art teacher.