Asperger's Syndrome versus Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

I find these threads to be enjoyable, and these two disorders are actually a like in a lot of fashions with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder looking as if it is possibly related to Asperger's Syndrome.

Similarities:
1. People with either disorder may have issues with making friends.
2. Unusual obsessions are a key symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, while it is a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome.
3. What are the two disorders that make it so people can have issues with change? That would be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome.
4. Anxiety
5. Depression is a common comorbid with both disorders.
6. People with either disorder tend to have high intelligence quotients.
7. Repetitive Routines are a must for both.
8. The ability to focus on things for long periods are common in both.
9. Unusual behaviors in both disorders.
10. Tantrums are common in both disorders.
11. Hand flapping and head banging are common in both.

Differences:
1. People with Obsessive Compulsive Disorders have no delay in non-verbal cues or social cues, while folks with Asperger's Syndrome do.
2. Folks with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder have no motor coordination delays on average, or delay in understanding tone (sarcasm and jokes).
3. The obsessions in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are severe to the point where the person can hardly function. The obsessions in Asperger's Syndrome usually are a lot milder to the point where the person can walk away from them.
4. People with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are often concerned with how others view them and would love to get rid of the symptoms, while folks with Asperger's Syndrome are hardly bothered by it usually (not in all cases however).
5. The change of routine can effect somebody with OCD to the point where it causes Anxiety, while it will cause disappointment in Asperger's Syndrome.
6. Motivation is used to reduce Anxiety in OCD, while people with Asperger's Syndrome usually aren't intending to reduce it.

OCD and Asperger's are common comorbids with each other, and I feel as if there is some possible relationship between the two.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

I clearly have no OCD, but I also have this:

"The change of routine can effect somebody with OCD to the point where it causes Anxiety, while it will cause disappointment in Asperger's Syndrome."

So I doupt that change in the routine can't cause distress and even anxiety in a person who "just" has ASD.

I also don't get the last point:
"Motivation is used to reduce Anxiety in OCD, while people with Asperger's Syndrome usually aren't intending to reduce it. "
:?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm

DSM-IV-TR:

Quote:
Some individuals with Asperger’s Disorder may exhibit behavioral patterns suggesting Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, although special clinical attention should be given to the differentiation between preoccupations and activities in Asperger’s Disorder and obsessions and compulsions in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. In Asperger’s Disorder these interests are the source of some apparent pleasure or comfort, whereas in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder they are the source of anxiety. Furthermore, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is typically not associated with the level of impairment in social interaction and social communication seen in Asperger’s Disorder.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Dillogic wrote:
DSM-IV-TR:

Quote:
Some individuals with Asperger’s Disorder may exhibit behavioral patterns suggesting Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, although special clinical attention should be given to the differentiation between preoccupations and activities in Asperger’s Disorder and obsessions and compulsions in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. In Asperger’s Disorder these interests are the source of some apparent pleasure or comfort, whereas in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder they are the source of anxiety. Furthermore, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is typically not associated with the level of impairment in social interaction and social communication seen in Asperger’s Disorder.

Yeah routine they are comfort, but in the OP posted about "change of routine"

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

Autism and ocd here. They have a few overlapping symptoms but as I understand more about both I find I can clearly separate them. It is a strange duality. Sometimes one potentiates the other and sometimes the other brings a shared symptom to equilibrium.