Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:10 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Is it an Aspie thing to complain about typical "Aspie thing" threads? 8O

In my case it's because I have a facetious sense of humour :D

:D

Joe90 wrote:
Yes but there has been threads posted here that have really made me go ‘’what??!’’ Like there was a thread about something like ‘’is caring too much about one’s appearance common in Aspie girls?’’ somewhere on WP (can’t remember where or when, and this wasn’t how the title was worded exactly), but that surprised me because I thought it was typical in most females (well, and males) to want to care about their appearance, and most females I know care too much about what they look like.

For some autistic ppl it's normal to ask stuff like this. An autistic "friend" of mine asks this soooo terribly often "is this typical for autistics....", "is this typical for NTs.....", "do autistics....", "what does this behaviour means...." and so on.
Maybe we should just view it as an autistic thing (I know, not for all ;) ). And yeah I know it can be terrible anoying, but learned to accept it.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

Raziel wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Is it an Aspie thing to complain about typical "Aspie thing" threads? 8O

In my case it's because I have a facetious sense of humour :D

:D

Joe90 wrote:
Yes but there has been threads posted here that have really made me go ‘’what??!’’ Like there was a thread about something like ‘’is caring too much about one’s appearance common in Aspie girls?’’ somewhere on WP (can’t remember where or when, and this wasn’t how the title was worded exactly), but that surprised me because I thought it was typical in most females (well, and males) to want to care about their appearance, and most females I know care too much about what they look like.

For some autistic ppl it's normal to ask stuff like this. An autistic "friend" of mine asks this soooo terribly often "is this typical for autistics....", "is this typical for NTs.....", "do autistics....", "what does this behaviour means...." and so on.
Maybe we should just view it as an autistic thing (I know, not for all ;) ). And yeah I know it can be terrible anoying, but learned to accept it.

Generally I see my own behaviour as the norm and the other people around me as very illogical and annoying

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
SouffleGirl wrote:
From what I've seen, I could safely say that around 70% of the posts here consist mostly of:
-"Am I the only aspie who...?"
-"Do all aspies...?"
-"Is this an aspie thing...?"

etc.

Yay cool thread, I get annoyed by these sorts of things you listed here too, especially the ‘’is [insert common human trait here] an Aspie thing?’’ threads.

‘’Is liking the colour blue an Aspie thing?’’ No, a lot of people like the colour blue.
‘’Is liking horses as a little girl an Aspie thing?’’ No, a lot of little girls like horses.
‘’Is having thick eyebrows an Autistic physical feature?’’ No, a lot of people naturally have thick eyebrows.
‘’Do only children on the spectrum believe in Santa?’’ No, most kids believe in Santa. I hate it when people think that NT children have no innocence.
‘’Is it an Aspie trait to like Reggae music?’’ No, not everyone likes Pop or R&B, a lot do like Reggae music too.
‘’Is it an Aspie trait to feel sad sometimes?’’ No, NTs have emotions too.
‘’Is it an Aspie trait to have diarrhoea?’’ No, everyone gets diarrhoea at times, some people have it more than others, some people are more prone to constipation.

That is quite true. A lot of the "Aspie thing" type questions are incredibly silly and we all wonder how the poster came up with such an absurd question.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:35 pm

SouffleGirl wrote:
From what I've seen in the whole entire day that I've been a member, I could safely say that around 70% of the posts here consist mostly of:
-"Am I the only aspie who...?"
-"Do all aspies...?"
-"Is this an aspie thing...?"

etc.

Fixed

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

I must say SouffleGirl does have a point. Also I can't help but to notice there are a lot of contradictions that go on in WP too, like one thread springs up saying 'do aspies exaggerate more than nts?' then another thread says 'do nts exaggerate more than aspies?' Usually these threads come from somebody who thinks just because oneself has this quirk it means it must be common within the 1% of the population. Also it turns some into hypochondriacs.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:37 pm

I personally think this thread is out of order. Don't read what you don't like. But don't make people feel bad about asking questions in the first place. Agreed some are a little silly, but that is what this site is for. Who is the OP to talk like the site owner "a friendly reminder" indeed!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

the whole point of the forum is to talk about autism related minutia. that is why it is here. because there are aren't other places to ask those things. if you want to read non-autism related postings, there are several sections for specifically that right here on this site as well. :idea:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

Hmm, tough crowd in today. :?
This earlier version was much better received: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt172380.html

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

Raziel wrote:

Very wise advice. My son asks a lot of questions. It is not because he is stupid, or trying to be obtuse or annoying. It is because he cannot process a lot of nonverbal stuff and so he often finds himself needing to ask for confirmation of his understanding of things, even when it is obvious to other people. At the ripe old age of 11, he has already learned that his ability to interpret certain things is off. The problem is, he cannot tell when it is off and when it is not. So he asks all the time.

Plus there is always that moment when you first realize that something you thought was "normal" was, indeed, not normal.

Like when you are a parent and your ASD kid does something and you say "pfft! I ALWAYS do that" (as evidence that it is completely normal). Then all of a sudden it dawns on you "Wait? You mean that isn't normal?" Then you start to wonder how many other "normal" things you have been doing that aren't really normal.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm

eric76 wrote:
I was the only one in my first grade class who didn't know how to tie shoe laces.
So was I, but that's because I never bothered to practice it. Same with my multiplication tables, multiplying and division. To this day I don't know how to do that without a calculator that I've been using my whole life and continue to use and I'm 18

matt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 1:05 am

Ironically, the topic where someone complains about the repetitiveness of topics is also one of the topics most frequently posted at this site.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 7:02 am

You beat me to it. I was just going to post something along those very lines.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 11:38 am

I find it humorously hypocritical when someone tersely rattles off a "friendly reminder," as it seldom is spoken or written in a "friendly" manner.

It seems as though someone is attempting to imitate the Moderators with such topics (Initially (prior to clicking), I thought users were routinely breaking forum rules and a Mod had to post a reminder).

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 11:45 am

Yes, that's exactly what I thought, hence I said "Who is the OP to talk like the site owner "a friendly reminder" indeed!" higher up the thread. I thought it was going to be a telling off for people getting out of hand.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Feb 2013, 11:53 am

If people are going to insist on knocking the OP for making an observation - rather like the thread I linked earlier which interestingly, is not being attacked - there is no reason to allow this thread to continue.