Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 1:11 am

Of course, not all of these apply to all of us all of the time, but some generalities I've noticed, both from this site and real life:

1.) We are honest. The Aspie brain isn't designed to lie, cheat, or manipulate.
2.) We are loyal. Once we attach ourselves to a particular viewpoint, movement, or person, we will most often defend it/them until we can't anymore.
3.) We are intelligent. I think this one goes without saying... it's what we're known for. :)
4.) When we want to get something done, that thing gets DONE. Intense focus on certain things... another thing we're known for.

I'm sure there are more, and I hope people add to this list.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:21 am

We're unique.
We're able to be alone for long periods of time.
We decide for ourselves what we're passionate about, because we have minds of our own.
We're not afraid to to be ourselves, like the things that we like and dress the way that we want.
We do it with precision.
We are always researching new ways to do things from cooking to using technology.
Some of us speak with unusual accents for our regions, adding character to our appearance and personalities.
Many of us have special interests that are very unique.
We are very honest people, especially when it comes to ourselves and our personalities.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:30 am

None, no reason to be proud to be born damaged.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:35 am

DVCal wrote:

God don't make no junk.

Phenom
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

DVCal wrote:

Wow, that's a really sad place to be in.

I'm not sure if you were looking for some type of humorous value, but if not, take a deep look at yourself and I guarantee this will change. Everyone (aspie or not) has SOME form of positive attribute(s). The key is to not dwell on the negative so much, it has a way of taking over the mind.

I feel for you and understand your frustration, take care.

On another note, I pretty much agree with what everyone has said so far. Although it comes with its problems, I feel very blessed to be who I am and very fortunate; not many get this experience and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I love being me.

It's not easy by any means, but ANY problem can be worked through; one just has to put in the effort to overcome it.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:30 am

Phenom wrote:
DVCal wrote:

I'm not sure if you were looking for some type of humorous value, but if not, take a deep look at yourself and I guarantee this will change. Everyone (aspie or not) has SOME form of positive attribute(s). The key is to not dwell on the negative so much, it has a way of taking over the mind.

On another note, I pretty much agree with what everyone has said so far. Although it comes with its problems, I feel very blessed to be who I am and very fortunate; not many get this experience and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I love being me.

It's not easy by any means, but ANY problem can be worked through; one just has to put in the effort to overcome it.

I didn't mean we can't have any positive in our lives, but nothing positive came from being born defective. I have positive things despite being an aspie, not because I was born an aspire.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jan 2013, 2:39 am

You can be defective or damaged if you want to be, but I think it would be prudent to include others out of your self perception.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jan 2013, 2:43 am

Objects like toys, computers, and auto parts are defective. People are not.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:30 am

Dvcal seems to be a hater/troll

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:22 am

I disagree with that. I have seen DVCal contribute in other threads. I don't think he's hating or trolling here, for that matter. It's really easy to feel defective or broken or damage when society sucks at accommodating one's needs, and when things are harder for one than they are for others.

I don't agree with that perspective, but I don't think DVCal is bad for thinking so.

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2013, 4:27 am

If that's how all aspies are, I should've been diagnosed MUCH earlier than at 19 years old. :o

Though, the first one applies to me since my conscience keeps telling me so, is that what "design" would mean?

Anyway, I doubt I'm damaged, well, in my opinion, my brain was the only thing God focused on when it comes to my body, my various defects would be due to various biological issues rather than the Asperger's (though I am fully functioning - the defects are just enough to make my appearance just awfully daunting but not too much). :3

But if you want a list of positives from me about being an aspie, here are a few more to add on:
- We're often very creative, at least compared to neurotypicals.
- Our obsessive compulsions may very well involve our calling in life.
- With our strange way of thinking, we often become innovators for positive change, that's a good thing.

Sorry, but being a victim gets you nowhere. Stay positive and use your mind to its fullest DV and that's how you'll become successful.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:28 am

answeraspergers wrote:
Dvcal seems to be a hater/troll

No, he's not.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 6:03 am

DVCal wrote:
Phenom wrote:
DVCal wrote:

I didn't mean we can't have any positive in our lives, but nothing positive came from being born defective. I have positive things despite being an aspie, not because I was born an aspire.

Well, that's your choice. I have had multiple good things happen to me (like my relationship) specifially because I'm an aspie

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 7:18 am

1) I see no point of being proud (or ashamed) of something I didn't choose, I didn't cause, and didn't ask for.

lattes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2013, 7:43 am

DVCal wrote:

On a more serious note, I am 'NT' and everybody is f'd up, not just you.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 7:47 am

CftxP wrote:
Sorry, but being a victim gets you nowhere. Stay positive and use your mind to its fullest DV and that's how you'll become successful.

I tend to find statements like "being a victim" involve a lot of assumptions. Also, staying positive is more of a placebo than an effective strategy for facing life - that's before you get into issues like depression and anxiety that make it extremely difficult to be positive.