Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm

It's in the news that Windsor, Ontario is fighting to get fluoride out of their tap water. It occurred to me - here in Montreal, where we are keeping our fluoride - could I be having sensitivity issues with the tap water? I'm definitely avoiding it; I've been avoiding it for years.
It's a great mystery to me and I wouldn't mind a solution.

I know how to purify tap water in the kitchen (buy a gizmo). How about the bathroom - specifically, the shower?

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm

I normally use a brita water filter/pitcher because I don't like the take of tap water. Also I don't know if were I am in california put floride in the water.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm

Thank you, but how can I purify the shower water in the bathroom?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 11:36 pm

Just a question: what makes you think it's a sensory issue rather than just a preference?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

for me it is preferance.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm

There is plenty of differences in tap water without worrying about fluorides.

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2013, 12:20 am

It could be a number of things, but I grew up on well water so city water does fog my mind. I know I have an issue with standard toothpaste along with other substances. I have a multitude of allergies along with Celiac's disease, but knowing the composition of tap water there is plenty to question in it. I'm dyspraxic so sensory problems are a part of life, but they increase when malabsorption is triggered by many substances. Shower filters and even water softeners make a huge difference, they're widely available so check around to holistic/health stores and even mainstream home improvements stores.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 12:26 am

A filter will also help with chlorine, which I guess will be even more likely to be a sensory issue / preference.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2013, 4:47 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Just a question: what makes you think it's a sensory issue rather than just a preference?

I'm *hoping* it might be a sensory issue. Then I could fix it somehow. If it's a preference - that's too light a word - more like serious aversion - which I've been living with for a long time. I stagger out of the shower shaking like a leaf and I must manage somehow to get back into bed immediately and stay there. It puts quite a crimp in my day, do you see?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2013, 4:51 am

epitome81 wrote:
Shower filters and even water softeners make a huge difference, they're widely available so check around to holistic/health stores and even mainstream home improvements stores.

I live in an apartment so I don't think I can get a water softener - that would be something installed on the water tank? I looked for filters for showerheads and I don't find them but I'll keep looking.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2013, 4:52 am

eric76 wrote:

Could you name some? Maybe that would give me a direction.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 5:50 am

Firstly, I have no idea what the distinction is between a sensory issue and a preference. Unless you mean something like 'I don't like tap water because I'm paranoid about toxins' or something like that.

Secondly, it sounds like some people here are getting confused between a sensory issue and a chemical sensitivity. If it causes psychological discomfort due to some sensory feature of the water (eg its taste or the feel of it on your skin or something) that's a sensory issue. (For example, I hate the way tap water tastes.)

If it causes physical health problems, that's some sort of medical issue, such as a chemical sensitivity or allergy or whatever. I'd consult a doctor about that, because it could be a bunch of different things, some of them serious. (For example, if you feel dizzy only from hot water, that could suggest low blood pressure, which could be a sign of a heart problem.)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:01 am

Claradoon wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Could you name some? Maybe that would give me a direction.

It's quite common to find various minerals or other impurities in water whether it is from aquifers underground or from lakes. Keep in mind that in many cities, the water comes from reservoirs that may have a number of contaminants. Also, more and more contaminants are being found in ground water.

And then there are things that municipalities or water authorities add to the water such as chlorine. Not only that, the concentrations of things like chlorine can vary greatly from one town to the next.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:09 am

Here in Finland tap water is really clean, but I still don't like it.

ral31
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2013, 8:30 am

If it's a sensory issue in the shower then a different shower head might help.
I got one that injects air into the water stream. It makes it more of a spray.

If it's a shower filter you want, they make those. Google "shower water filter." Looks like Lowe's sells one.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

You could have sensory issues with it.
When I was younger, and more sensitive to most things than I am now, I felt as though I was about to be sick whenever I drank it :L.

It was almost definitely a sensory thing, I hated the way it felt inside my mouth, still do actually.