Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 145

03 Feb 2013, 2:20 am

My psychologist asked me how i generally feel. I didn't know what to say because most of the time i feel.. nothing.
I listen to music whenever i can and music makes me happy :D , but when i don't I feel nothing. Or maybe i feel something that i don't know how to call.
When surrounded by people i guess it is anger :x i feel, maybe sadness :cry: . So i guess i will tell her all this.
:?:



Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,835
Location: Valproate Street and Thorazine Lane

03 Feb 2013, 2:23 am

Alexithymia

Common in those with ASDs

Quote:
In a 2004 study using the TAS-20, 85% of the adults with ASD fell into the impaired category; almost half of the whole group fell into the severely impaired category. Among the normal adult control, only 17% was impaired; none of them severely.



Zemashumashu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 49

03 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

I had never heard of this. Thanks for the info. This totally fits me.


_________________
We shall not speak of rules until they are broken, once rules are broken rule-breakers will be retroactively penalized.


CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,964
Location: auf der Fahrt durch Niemandsland

03 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

I lack the capacity to have emotion. It doesn't bother me in the least, given emotion is illogical and only serves to weaken the constitution of the mind. With that said, I can feign feeling something based on how others look, talk and behave when they are expressing some sort of emotion or another.



Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,092
Location: Walnut Creek/Concord, California

03 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

We have feelings, but we have difficulty with expressing or describing them.


_________________
Fourth Divine of the Writer's Art - Anime, game and Visual Novel enthusiast, master writer and all-around friendly person.

Romantically challenged to the point of self-deprecating humor. Feel free to contact for whatever reason!


wheresmyreality
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 14

03 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

I feel nothing most of the time. I rarely ever deal with extremes in emotion. My friends often say, "I've never seen you mad about anything or even excited about anything." I am "mellow" all the damn time. I guess that's the only way I could describe it. I don't even really deal with moderate fluctuations in emotion. And if I do I often have to force it. As in I have to tell myself, "A normal person would be happy here." or "A normal person would be mad about this."



btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,458
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

03 Feb 2013, 3:17 pm

Most of the time, I feel nothing. I told my psych that I am opposite of bipolar. I don't know what other people feel most of the time. Maybe moods?



Rayford
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2013
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 10

03 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

Mostly I am pretty even tempered to the point of seeming indifferent.. Until I'm angry when as I'm told I can be very mean.



whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,130
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

03 Feb 2013, 9:10 pm

kirostun wrote:
My psychologist asked me how i generally feel. I didn't know what to say because most of the time i feel.. nothing.
I listen to music whenever i can and music makes me happy :D , but when i don't I feel nothing. Or maybe i feel something that i don't know how to call.
When surrounded by people i guess it is anger :x i feel, maybe sadness :cry: . So i guess i will tell her all this.:?:


Open questions like that are confusing to Aspies. We need to know "how do you feel about X" or "do you feel happy/sad/negative whatever about X".

So this could just mean you didn't know how to answer the question as it was too vague, not that you don't have feelings, or don't know how to identify them.


_________________
*Truth fears no trial*

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

http://www.planetautism.wix.com/one-stop-shop


chamthabo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 22

03 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

I don't feel anything much either, except only obsessive feeling in somethings.



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

04 Feb 2013, 7:14 am

CyborgUprising wrote:
I lack the capacity to have emotion. It doesn't bother me in the least, given emotion is illogical and only serves to weaken the constitution of the mind. With that said, I can feign feeling something based on how others look, talk and behave when they are expressing some sort of emotion or another.


You do not lack emotions, that's bullshit. If you lacked emotion you wouldn't do anything as you would have no drive, you wouldn't have any reason to feign emotions if you actually had no emotions.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,964
Location: auf der Fahrt durch Niemandsland

05 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

Ganondox wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:
I lack the capacity to have emotion. It doesn't bother me in the least, given emotion is illogical and only serves to weaken the constitution of the mind. With that said, I can feign feeling something based on how others look, talk and behave when they are expressing some sort of emotion or another.


You do not lack emotions, that's bullshit. If you lacked emotion you wouldn't do anything as you would have no drive, you wouldn't have any reason to feign emotions if you actually had no emotions.

Your assessment of me is bulls**t then. You don't know me, so you cannot make a valid comment about something which you possess no knowledge about. One can do something and not have emotion. "Drive" isn't an emotion, it's a motive. I am extremely flat-affect (and I couldn't care less).
...See what I did there?