In what way do you feel this planet is the wrong planet?

Page 3 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

Zodai wrote:

Well, then should the topic of the thread be the purpose of living, as opposed to life?

I don't think so. So far, no one else's ideal planet is so incompatible with human life that it makes me question it. But if someone makes a post saying, "I wish we didn't have to eat or drink, didn't breath or procreate, and we all looked, acted, and thought like Batman...," that might give the thread a more philosophical turn towards the purpose of life. :lol:

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:32 pm

starkid wrote:
"I wish we didn't have to eat or drink, didn't breath or procreate, and we all looked, acted, and thought like Batman...,"

So this, basically?

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

starkid wrote:
qawer wrote:

starkid wrote:

The entire world is not individualist. Only some societies are.

What societies are you having in mind? Ultimately, people have to think individualistic to not be mentally ill.

None in particular, but, for example, the U.S. is an individualistic society. If I understand correctly, China is not.

Quote:

I agree. The problem is that in the end nature is nothing but survival - very superficial. Life should have a completely different basis.

But the point I was making is this: If survival is not the basis of life, then what you have is not life. It's like wishing that water wasn't wet, or that the sky wasn't so high; if you got your wish, the change would be so fundamental that you would no longer have what you started with.

starkid wrote:
Quote:
That is true. Using a similar argument bullying in schools is a good thing. It sorts out the weakest, so it is a survival tactic that benefits everyone in the large scheme of things.

I don't see how that is a similar argument. Bullying in schools doesn't "sort out" anyone. The kids don't usually die from the bullying. No one benefits from bullying, except maybe if you consider the shallow, temporary feelings the bullies get from it. The bullied children are hurt, their parents are worried, the job of the school administration becomes more difficult.

Quote:

Noone contributes to charity if they don't feel they receive something in return. The non-showy ones just feel better about themselves for doing it. It IS an egoistic action, like all other actions. If they were indifferent about donating the money they would not do it.

Of course they want to receive something for their actions. I agree with what you say; all acts are selfish. What I don't understand is why you seem to recognize no difference between philanthropists who just want their face on TV, and those who want to receive the knowledge that they have helped someone, the peace of mind that comes from worrying less about people because they now have money, food, or a home thanks to the charity, the satisfaction of sharing, or any other positive, socially beneficial thing a person can receive from being charitable. It's as if you regard pursuing one's self-interest as an inherently base act, which doesn't make any sense to me because self-interest includes protecting others, raising children, helping the poor and all sorts of other things that benefit both the individual and society.

You definitely have valid points that makes me reconsider things. I'm glad about that, because my viewpoint is currently not constructive.

I know I should look more at it like: "We are only here to survive, but we are here to survive together." In that sense, survival becomes a positive basis of life.

My problem is most likely that I have mostly run into the competition between humans in order to survive, not the "we are here to survive together". My experience is that the more you think that way, the more are people going to exploit your willingness to help them. People are going to walk over you.

Besides, my asperger has my whole life contributed to the viewpoint that life is a competition between individuals, not a collective survival, because of social exclusion. I know that is a personal thing and is simply life's way of punishing those who are not doing well enough in the survival game, which includes the social game. Other people will punish you if you don't do well in that game, not show mercy. Hostility is a common response.

I definitely recognize a difference between philanthropists who just want their face on TV, and those who want to receive the knowledge that they have helped someone. It is the second kind of people I like, but the first kind of people that nature really rewards. I can see positive things in this world, but behind the pretty scene and people's apparent kindness and want to help others, everything occurs to be competition.

My point is that seen from the larger perspective, society as a whole does cooperate. In that sense we are "surviving together". But in the smaller perspective, everything is competition. It is really difficult to appreciate the larger perspective, when it is the small perspective that is really going to affect you in your every day life.

I know friends, family etc. are relationships based on cooperation. That is an important point. But the competition aspect just always ends up showing it's face in some way or another, especially between friends.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

Quote:

The purpose of the animate beings is survival/existence therefore the successful individual beings of the species have to be selected.
HAPPINESS AND DEPRESSION
The collective operating minds of the individuals give energy (happiness) to the individuals with high self-evaluation and take away energy (sadness/depression) from the individuals with low self-evaluation. In the case of extreme unsuccessfulness, the collective operating mind of the individual can cause illnesses [1,4] or can terminate directly the existence of the individual being (suicide).

I wonder how you feel about simply being a part of this brutal selection process?

I know you might tell me your life is much more than a selection process, but I claim that the only reason why you may feel that way is because you are using a survival tactic that disguises the truth - probably because it is too much to deal with the naked fact of the matter.

So one should forget about the actual purpose of one's life? Playing the game of selection, but forget that that is what one is doing...

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

qawer wrote:
So one should forget about the actual purpose of one's life? Playing the game of selection, but forget that that is what one is doing...

That's your choice and your choice alone. No can decide how you are going to think and what you are going to believe for you.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 7:31 pm

Dragoness wrote:
qawer wrote:

That's your choice and your choice alone. No can decide how you are going to think and what you are going to believe for you.

I agree, and if I can expand upon that;

What's to say what the actual purpose of one's life is? The best we can do is offer hypothesis, ideas, and conjectures. We don't know for certain.

Going back to the origin of this thread, I feel like this is the wrong planet because we haven't made it the right one yet. I don't mean that we have to change the world to suite ourselves or change ourselves to suite the world. I think there's something in between. And frankly, the idea of this being the wrong world could apply to NTs as well.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

Browncoat wrote:
Dragoness wrote:
qawer wrote:

I agree, and if I can expand upon that;

What's to say what the actual purpose of one's life is? The best we can do is offer hypothesis, ideas, and conjectures. We don't know for certain.

Going back to the origin of this thread, I feel like this is the wrong planet because we haven't made it the right one yet. I don't mean that we have to change the world to suite ourselves or change ourselves to suite the world. I think there's something in between. And frankly, the idea of this being the wrong world could apply to NTs as well.

I completely agree with you.

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 8:19 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
Zodai wrote:
While I'm not entirely sure about forcing everyone into it as opposed to choice (You were somewhat vague on that subject) it would certainly solve the population crisis a great deal ;P

It wouldn't be forcing them, lol. It's just how I wish humans were. I think it's pointless to set arbitrary limits for yourself based on gender, at least when it comes to love.

Of course, I only feel this way because I am this way (barring my unfortunate social prejudices), so that's a factor.

Lol, you have good intentions but there are psychological studies on socially acceptable bisexuality; a series of graphic images were shown to a group of participants; arousal was then measured in male and female participants. All participants were Heterosexual. In Male participants, arousal occurred whenever they were shown images where a man and women were engaged in sexual activity, or a woman and woman; when men on men images were shown, arousal was not detected. When the test was conducted in women, man on woman, woman on woman, but not man on man generated results of arousal. The study showed that in both heterosexual men and women, the concept of man on man action was not appealing; for this reason the concept of bisexual relationships would be difficult for many heterosexual guys.

EDIT: Still a funny concept though.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2013, 12:58 am

Yuugiri wrote:
Zodai wrote:
While I'm not entirely sure about forcing everyone into it as opposed to choice (You were somewhat vague on that subject) it would certainly solve the population crisis a great deal ;P

It wouldn't be forcing them, lol. It's just how I wish humans were. I think it's pointless to set arbitrary limits for yourself based on gender, at least when it comes to love.

Of course, I only feel this way because I am this way (barring my unfortunate social prejudices), so that's a factor.

That is the only factor.
I hate it when people act like everyone has a choice! I'm straight myself but I don't think anyone would choose to grow up in a gay/bi hating house hold, or go to a school where they get bullied and beaten up all the time, just for being gay or bi.
No one sets arbitrary limits for themselves, because the gender we are attracted to is not a choice, just as it isn't a choice to have Asperger's. It's a part of who we are.
Saying what you have just makes it harder for the other gay and bisexual people, because some straight people already think it is a choice and you're just backing up their incorrect theory.
My sister is a lesbian. She didn't choose to be, she just is. She did have boyfriends growing up but clearly realized that males don't interest her in the same way that females do. She didn't think to herself "I'm sick of men, I'm going to get myself a girlfriend"

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 4:40 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
No one sets arbitrary limits for themselves, because the gender we are attracted to is not a choice, just as it isn't a choice to have Asperger's. It's a part of who we are.
Saying what you have just makes it harder for the other gay and bisexual people, because some straight people already think it is a choice and you're just backing up their incorrect theory.

Not all of the people you are defending agree with you.

http://www.queerbychoice.com/

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

starkid wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:

Not all of the people you are defending agree with you.

http://www.queerbychoice.com/

Alright, that's fine. In what way do you, or a person you may be talking about, disagree?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 2:33 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
Alright, that's fine. In what way do you, or a person you may be talking about, disagree?

I didn't post that because I disagree. The person or people who created the website clearly think it can be a choice. I assume you can find more details on the website.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

qawer wrote:
I am curious as to why you guys feel this planet is the wrong planet?

(1) Do you think you landed on the wrong planet/world?

No, I was simply born into a society which isn't built for my kind. :)

qawer wrote:
(2) In what way is this the wrong planet/world?

Neurotypical society as a whole bases far too much of a person's value on the extent to which they conform to illogical, and sometimes vulgar social expectations.

Many Neurotypicals view their neurotype as superior, rather than equal to ours, and don't even think to include us in decisions which are important and relevant to our lives.

Society fails to make even the most basic, simple adaptions to accommodate our needs, which, aren't all that difficult to meet.

qawer wrote:
(3) How should the planet/world be if it was to be "right"?

* Better attempts to understand and accommodate us

* Advocacy organisations run by and for Autistics (no ignorant, repressive ones such as Autism Speaks)

* Official minority group status for Autistics

* Autistics regarded as equals, rather than defective or inferior

* Much, much tougher punishment for discrimination against us, particularly when it comes to the media

* Total lack of unnecessary, damaging conformity

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

Because its like an alien world out there in the social domain.

Many people I encounter, to me, seem to live in some kind of twilight zone dimension especially in terms of how they think and their mass of pointless, strange and often bizarre social conventions.

Case in point: On some forums its considered rude to be verbose.

Personally if I see a verbose post I either read it, or scroll past. It makes no difference to me if I have to scroll past one or two very long posts or page after page of inane social chitty in text speak and one sentence replies. I still have to scroll down to get to the bottom of the page anyway...and most pages have a defined length to them. So what does it matter what that page is filled with.

If I want to read the content on the way I will, if I don't I wont.

Plus it's an open forum board...people can post at the same time. It is not like a conversation where you have to wait for the other person to finished speaking first.

Yeah I know other posts can sometimes be hard to spot amid a wall of long verbose ones but that is why avatars are useful. I don't always look at the text if I am looking for a post by someone specific or by passing someone I don't want to read...I look at their avatar! This tells me when someone different has posted.

I accept some may find it irritating, but really there are worse crimes in the world...so why make so much fuss over something so small and have huge argument over it? Its just silly.

See....the social world is like some strange alien culture.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2013, 11:11 am

starkid wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:

I didn't post that because I disagree. The person or people who created the website clearly think it can be a choice. I assume you can find more details on the website.

How is it clear that they think it can be a choice?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 3:14 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:

How is it clear that they think it can be a choice?

The name of their website and the first paragraph on the first page!