what was your reaction after hearing the diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

for me, i always felt different but could never explain it. After my dad said "emily, you have something called Aspergers syndrome, like Einstein, its a type of autism" and all i said after was "its called ASPERGER?! damn-et......" but i also wasn't surprised, neither was my aunts and mom. what was your reaction?

Sliceracer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

i found the report papers of my diagnosis , I was happy id finally found why I was so different .

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

My reaction at age 42 or so, when I found out, was "WOW; all these years, and this explains it!! !! !" .

Definitely a positive development; not in any way condemning or depressing. It was as if I could re-examine my whole life, like rewinding a movie that had the sound track missing or very garbled, and replaying it with crystal-clear sound and captions to re-explain every scene.

Charles

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm

"Yay I'm not broken"

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm

I broke down crying, pleading with the therapist that told me to believe that I wasn't violent, or sociopathic, or "just plain evil." To believe that even though I might be subhuman, I still had some personhood and dignity. Swearing that I'd be good, I'd do anything they wanted, if they would just please please please please not make me go back on the risperidone.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

Shrink: "Have you ever heard of Aspergers Syndrome?

Me: "Yeah. It's when middle-class white boys who are really good at math can't make friends.

I was wrong, BTW.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

rickith
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

My reaction was sort of blank I guess. It felt weird knowing I really "had" something, but I was glad that it had a name.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

I was nine at the time.

"Ashboogers?"

Or something like that.

Author/Writer

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

I was relieved as I finally had an explanation for the way I've been my whole life. I mentioned before that when I told a therapist who saw me as a child and teenager, she said that I probably had it, and that if they had known about Asperger's when I was growing up, I would have been diagnosed earlier. The thing was that only low functioning males were diagnosed with autism when I was growing up, even as late as the mid 90's.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

I felt like a freak and abnormal. It just told me I wasn't normal and I never will be. It was like a death sentence for me. I just wanted to prove I didn't have it. I was 12 when diagnosed and that is an age where lot of kids wants to be normal and be like everyone else. Maybe sooner than that or later may have made a huge difference. I may have been like "meh" as a young child and maybe in my late teens or as an adult I probably would have been like "Oh that explains why I was so different growing up and why being normal was so hard and why I failed at it" and move on.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

I wasn't fazed.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

I didn't react at all, ha. They had two psychologists in this little room, discussing the results of the assessment with me and when they told me, I just sat there, blankly and after a few seconds they asked ,'so...how does that make you feel?' I didn't know how to answer. I mean, deep down, I was relieved that I wouldn't have to tell the people who'd driven me to my appointments that I'd wasted their time and also, glad I could give family members who'd dealt with all my idiosyncrasies, some sort of explanation. To be honest, I've still barely accepted the diagnosis, but here I am anyway.

goaway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2013, 3:17 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
for me, i always felt different but could never explain it. After my dad said "emily, you have something called Aspergers syndrome, like Einstein, its a type of autism" and all i said after was "its called ASPERGER?! damn-et......" but i also wasn't surprised, neither was my aunts and mom. what was your reaction?

I was like, YIPPI YEY! I got aspergers and you dont 8)

Brisingr
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

I was sort of relieved when I found out. To me,it meant that I could give a name to my problems and know that I wasn't just a messed up teenager making a fuss about feeling down and isolated. When I researched it , it all made sense .

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:22 pm

I felt nothing when my parents told me I had Asperger's.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:46 pm

Like several above posters my reaction was positive and happy.

Like finding a missing piece in a puzzle.

But I was over fifty so I also was a bit angry that no one told me this back when I was 12, or 30, or whatever.