Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

Everyone does (except parents or perhaps grandparents of a particular infant). NTs just don't say it.

I think it's because 1 NTs can't hear properly. I don't just mean deaf NTs but hearing ones too. I mean NTs are rarely sound sensitive enough where crying becomes unbearable. 2 There's a mental disconnect. Honest NTs would admit in a private child free setting that they dislike infants but don't want to offend parents of babies and we all started out as annoying crying smelly babies. Even me.

I find it hard to not say 'shut your baby up' in public but I don't say it. I know most parents are suffering from sleepless nights and trying their best to quiet their babies. (I do wish I could say 'my cat does that to me too' but that's seen as rude). I know the parents are the ones who have to change the nappies. I know they bring infants into the world mostly so they can have children or adult children later, and that they love them now but they probably want them a bit quieter and less smelly. And I know that saying 'be quiet' won't be understood by the baby who, if they could express themselves only to reply to that would say 'I have no other way of talking and if I'm quiet my parents ignore me and I can't do anything for myself yet'.

So I endure the migraine inducing horror which is crying babies.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 10:46 am

I love babies.
But I hate baby talk, it made me so mad as a kid that I avoid talking to anyone like that, even babies.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

I have a love-hate thing with babies and toddlers. When I'm in a supermarket or on a bus or train, I get really agitated and angry when there's a noisy toddler, and I fill up with rage and call the kid all sorts of names in my head, and I fantasize about giving the kid a whack. But that's just anxiety and misophonia, because in reality I hate to see a kid getting hurt. If I hear in the news about a toddler or baby being abused, I get angry with the abusers and I really want the baby to be saved. I even cry about it. Also there's one baby in my family (the baby will be 2 years old next year), and I love her to bits. I'm very loving to her when I see her, and I'm always interested in how she's getting on. I don't hate her at all, and I never will.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

Old thread, but a good topic.

I'm neutral about babies. I don't like holding other people's babies because they're too fragile and they're literally priceless. I know it's an irrational fear that I would drop a baby if I was sitting down and holding them properly, but still it's a fear.

I got used to holding our own children and was not fearful of dropping them, nor, thankfully did I drop any of them. I did enjoy holding my own kids, sitting with them, reading to them and carrying them around though.

If someone asks me if I want to hold their baby I just politely decline and they seem fine with it. It doesn't happen that often.

Also, even though I'm capable having helped raise our own kids, if someone asked me to watch their baby or their young child, I would decline. Caring for someone else's child would be far too stressful for me. Children are the most precious. Too much responsibility.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Dec 2018, 3:13 pm

I don't really like babies or other kids.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

I don't dislike them, but I don't get all gaga over them, either, and I definitely don't coo at them or use baby talk, because that just isn't natural for me!

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 8:36 pm

I love babies... so much that they can actually be put in my "Special Interest" category.

I wanted babies even when the thought of having a BF/Husband was a rather messy idea of an inevitable trade-off in my view. I wished you could like order them via catalog!

Started babysitting when I myself was considered "little". Neighbors and cousins.

They are easy to deal with, portable and simple. Plus they smell good which for me is important.

I am very sensitive to smell (and yes I AM excluding the temporary yukky diaper). This is true when in a mate as well. Most Babies smell very very good to me. I would like to have a Bottle of Eau de Infante for soothing sniff on hand always! The ones that don't smell so good just allows my "want it " impulse to bury quicker.

promiseimtrying
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

I have never liked babies. Have you ever watched Daria? There's an episode where she says "I didn't even like kids when I was a kid," and that's exactly how I felt.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't really like babies or other kids.

Neither do I... but note the disclaimer below.

What do cheese, wine, and children have in common?
They need to age in order to develop some character. In the case of children, they become more interesting when they're around 8 or so and start doing stuff that I might be interested in.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 2:27 pm

Babies are silly gooses.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 4:33 pm

Always despised infants, toddlers and human beings as a general whole. But even as a very young child I despised infants. Don’t know why, I just always hated them. Never wanted to play with dolls either. They creeped me out. I never found infants cute. But things most people find repulsive such as reptiles and insects, I find adorable. I also actually find a lot of small dogs, especially Maltese and bichon frisée to be ugly. A lot of people think they are cute because they resemble him and babies somehow. I guess that’s why I find them ugly.

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 5:05 pm

I find my own opinions on babies confusing.

I have never liked babies, could not get my head round why my colleagues were drawn like magnets to babies who came to our place of work; I felt extremely uncomfortable and anxious until they left, and I kept as large a distance from them as possible.

And yet.. I have two children of my own now... and I did love them as babies, though I don’t think it would be fair to say I actually liked them that much. Which sounds awful, but it’s true. They were both difficult and overwhelming for me and my responsibilities to them were a massive source of anxiety. I think on balance I’ve done an ok job, at times too intense I’m sure as that is the only way I seem able to connect with others meaningfully. But I found it exhausting that babies and young children don’t work by logic. The only way I can understand them is constant observation until I can start to learn their patterns of behaviours and get some clue how I need to respond.

It’s not possible to do that with any other kids than your own, so perhaps in writing this post I’ve dissolved a little of my confusion. I cannot manage other people’s babies because I cannot understand them. I need lots of observational analysis of others to understand them at all, babies even more so.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

Oakling wrote:
I find my own opinions on babies confusing.

I have never liked babies, could not get my head round why my colleagues were drawn like magnets to babies who came to our place of work; I felt extremely uncomfortable and anxious until they left, and I kept as large a distance from them as possible.

And yet.. I have two children of my own now... and I did love them as babies, though I don’t think it would be fair to say I actually liked them that much. Which sounds awful, but it’s true. They were both difficult and overwhelming for me and my responsibilities to them were a massive source of anxiety. I think on balance I’ve done an ok job, at times too intense I’m sure as that is the only way I seem able to connect with others meaningfully. But I found it exhausting that babies and young children don’t work by logic. The only way I can understand them is constant observation until I can start to learn their patterns of behaviours and get some clue how I need to respond.

It’s not possible to do that with any other kids than your own, so perhaps in writing this post I’ve dissolved a little of my confusion. I cannot manage other people’s babies because I cannot understand them. I need lots of observational analysis of others to understand them at all, babies even more so.

I could have written this. When I was a first-time father I ignorantly assumed that young kids thought logically and it added to my overall anxiety as a parent thinking that way.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2019, 7:47 pm

I love babies more now that I have one.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 8:37 pm

I'm really good with kids, but pretty bad with babies.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 6:53 pm

I am like Gingerpickles wrote of herself here.

Children were my one thing I was obsessed with.

That n flowers n geology but those two are harder to access (gardens , or museums) whereas kids r everywhere

In fact the one thing i think i was born fr was to take care of kids. Everybody who has seen me with kids says that or similar things n babies n childten love me n their parents since i was in high school always told me their children loved me