Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:04 am

Hey everyone,

I have been out twice now to my biggest book shops in my city and can't find any substantial resources on ASD. I want to know what the best book you have read on the subject so far is and where I might be able to find it.

I found a couple, one was for parents of children who have the disorder and one was just some woman's biography. I am looking for some deep explanations of what it is.

Thanks

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:22 am

Most bookstores don't carry good books on AS. It's still too "fringe," for lack of a better word. Your best bet is to order from Amazon instead.

My favorite book is The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood. His earlier book "Asperger's Syndrome, A Guide for Parents and Professionals" was very good too, but it's not as up to date as "The Complete Guide..." Your library might carry one of those two.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 5:16 am

Mnemosyne wrote:
My favorite book is The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

Yep that's the best one I've read and a lot of peeps say the same!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:25 am

scrulie wrote:
Mnemosyne wrote:

WHAT, is "ebonics" starting to become popular THERE now!?

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 8:19 am

SteveK wrote:
scrulie wrote:
Mnemosyne wrote:

WHAT, is "ebonics" starting to become popular THERE now!?

Er...pardon? :?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 10:00 am

Ebonics="Ebony" + "Phonics"

Depending in which dictionary/encyclopedia you use, you will find that it is considered to be its own language, or a distinct dialect of English. It is also called AAVE or African American Vernacular English, because that demographic is the primary user of the language. It is interesting to observe the dissemination and appropriation of the language through media exposure.

I believe it was your use of "peeps" that ellicited the comment about Ebonics becoming popular in the UK.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 10:12 am

dexkaden wrote:
I believe it was your use of "peeps" that ellicited the comment about Ebonics becoming popular in the UK.

OH!! I seeeeee! Thanks! :D

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

30 Jan 2007, 10:25 am

The best books for asperger's is in the computer programming and
science books area at the book store. :)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 10:39 am

Tony Attwood's "Asperger Syndrome" and "The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome" are two excellent books.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:10 pm

No offense to parents of Aspie children or Aspie parents of Aspie children but the books that do exist only deal with how Asperger's affects children. And only deals with the problems of raising an Aspie child.

There are practically NO books on the market that deal with the adult Aspie. And Holy hell, does that make me so angry. It's always about children. If I were a parent of an Aspie child, I know I would find any info regarding my quandry helpful. But I'm not a parent and I'M the Aspie adult the books should be writing about.

I'm sorry that I'm predjudiced over the state of preventative health in the world right now. All the lierature out there concentrates solely on preventing childhood diseases, maladies, syndromes and disorders. To my knowledge, there's little or no literature concentrating on adults with these things thay the world is trying to shelter our children from.

Oh, it's SOOOOOO terrible for our kids to get diseases and disorders. This is true and it's a shame. I sincerely have some empathy for our sich children. But Jeebus Christ, THE very minute you go from being a kid with a disorder to an adult with a disorder, you've suddenly became invisible to the let's-save-the-world-from-childhood-dieases-and-disorders bleeding heart would-be saviours. I mean, you just drop right off the radar.

When you're a kid with a syndrome like Asperger's, the world rallies to try to save you. Once you grow up, who gives a s**t about you then?? You're on your own then, bub. Go suck it.

There's a novel I have been wanting to write for a couple of years now that deals with something along this vein. I should get of my lazy ass and write it.

:x :?

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 2:31 pm

I really liked A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism by Sally Ozonoff, et al. It does have a section on teens and college-age Aspies (albeit a very small one- markaudette is right in the fact that nobody thinks about us Aspies who weren't diagnosed until adulthood), and the symptoms they talked about were much more in-depth and not just the "stereotypical" ones. The thing I didn't like about Tony Atwood's book is that it really only focused on the social deficits and those severely affected by the disorder, socially. Little things like toe walking and talking to oneself and rarer stims weren't talked about very much, if at all. So, I couldn't really see a whole lot of me in Atwood's book because my Asperger's isn't really about the social deficits. It's the obsessive-compulsiveness, both in "special interests" and stimming. Yes, I'm socially awkward, but it's not really obvious that I'm an Aspie until you get me talking about one of my "special interests." Then, it's VERY obvious. Ozonoff's book was for my Asperger's what Ian Osborn's wonderful Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals: The Hidden Epidemic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder was for my OCD. Osborn's book really focused on pure obsessionals (because Osborn is one himself), what I am. That's a rare type of OCD, so you don't hear much about it. Just like I don't want to hear only about handwashers/germphobics, I don't want to just hear about Aspies who speak in a monotone and don't get figures of speech. I don't do either one, but that doesn't mean that I'm not an Aspie...
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 5:03 pm

markaudette wrote:
No offense to parents of Aspie children or Aspie parents of Aspie children but the books that do exist only deal with how Asperger's affects children. And only deals with the problems of raising an Aspie child.

Actually, there are lots of books that aren't specific to kids. I'll grand that there are MORE books specific to kids, but I've managed to find plenty that weren't. It's just that almost all the ones at the library are.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 6:36 pm

I go along with the others who've mentioned Tony Attwood's books. They go into a lot of
details about secondary symptoms and experiences of adults with AS as well as children

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:01 pm

That's what cheeses me off. They have books for parents. They have books for siblings. They don't have books for us adults who have AS. What are they going to have next? Books for children of Aspies? What about us?

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's what cheeses me off. They have books for parents. They have books for siblings. They don't have books for us adults who have AS. What are they going to have next? Books for children of Aspies? What about us?

Very good point!

I have noticed this a lot, and it agrivates me. Of course Children and parents are important, although, Adults on the spectrum need some helpful advice to survive life.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems it was good to get people talking about this.

markaudette: Do you feel better now? lol.

Guess I will have to do the Amazon thing and wait for postage.