why does everyone do this when i talk to them

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 11:32 pm

i noticed a facial expression that a lot of people do when i talk to them, except i dont know what it means, they will

-inhale
-raise eyebrows
- fake smile or something
-widen eyes
-walk away

i have no idea what this is but i get it ALL THE TIME! does anyone know?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm

It means the situation is so unpleasant (possibly bizarre or ridiculous), they can't or won't even bother to respond or deal with it at all.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 11:58 pm

starkid wrote:
It means the situation is so unpleasant (possibly bizarre or ridiculous), they can't or won't even bother to respond or deal with it at all.

Damn, i wish i know what i do when this happens :/

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 12:38 am

If that's the case, I'd be thinking - don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out - if they can't bother to try to listen politely and think about what you say - then, their loss.

The usual expression I get is a pained squint. With verbal feedback, it means - wtf are you talking about? I'm not very patient with that anymore.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2013, 1:23 am

I have found over the years that when the people I am speaking to step back and their eyes widen it means stress subjects have been brought up.
I do not realize the warning signs of discomfort and keep talking about personal items the NT's have been brought up to ignore.
When the line is crossed they want out of range and smile as they step back with round eyes.

This may be just me, when young I got held for observation more than once as the doctors considered my talk strange. Talk is just words but some NT people do not understand that.

I stay quiet so it does not happen. This thread may help.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 4:44 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i noticed a facial expression that a lot of people do when i talk to them, except i dont know what it means, they will

-inhale
-raise eyebrows
- fake smile or something
-widen eyes
-walk away

i have no idea what this is but i get it ALL THE TIME! does anyone know?

Going on a balance of probabilities with the traits we have as Aspies, it's likely to be either you are monologuing and they are bored, or as another poster said, you might be talking about things that make them uncomfortable (i.e. being too blunt) and they are offended/embarrassed or something. I can't say for sure though, so don't worry too much about it. If you could give an example of a conversation when this happened it would help.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 6:34 am

I don't get that sequence of events but when I'm talking often I see an expression on the other person's face as if they are put off by my manner of speaking - my expression or the way my face and mouth move when I talk. It's like they are focused more on this than what I'm saying. It's like their thought process is something like this - 'A spaccy (as in mentally ret*d) person is talking, their spacciness is faintly horrifying me, look at their mouth moving in a spaccy way as they make their spaccy noises' - that's the closest I can come to an explanation. Their focus seems to be mostly on my mouth. This disturbed reaction in them seems to interfere with the communication process a lot as me seeing this reaction on their face just makes me not want to bother.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be showing this kind of reaction on my face if I were listening to a learning disabled person talk so I don't see why others can't do the same for me.

Not everyone does it but a lot will. It's like I'm having to battle through a whole mass of judgement of how I come across before what I'm actually saying even gets registered.

I heard a recording of me speaking in a meeting recently and I sounded awful - just stupid and making stupid sounds when I talk like a 'spaccy' person. What I mean is I know exactly how I'm being received by people as I have the same reaction to hearing my voice myself!

I don't seem to advocate for myself at all - I go in for the kill and am not on my own side.