Do you find your role as an adult comfortable and natural?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you find your role as an adult (1) comfortable and (2) natural?
(1)Always (2)Always 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
(1)Always (2)Often 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
(1)Always (2)Rarely 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
(1)Always (2)Never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
(1)Often (2)Always 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
(1)Often (2)Often 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
(1)Often (2)Rarely 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
(1)Often (2)Never 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
(1)Rarely (2)Always 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
(1)Rarely (2)Often 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
(1)Rarely (2)Rarely 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
(1)Rarely (2)Never 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
(1)Never (2)Always 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
(1)Never (2)Often 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
(1)Never (2)Rarely 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
(1)Never(2)Never 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 55

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

Do you find your role as an adult comfortable and natural?

Number 1 and 2 represent:

(1) My role as an adult feels comfortable.

(2) My role as an adult feels natural.

If you want to answer:

"My role as an adult feels comfortable, often, but it never feels natural"

you should pick poll option "(1)Often (2)Never".

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

I answered Never/Never.

I find the strain of being an adult difficult. I need looking after and don't feel right having to look after others. Responsibilities seem enormous to me. I don't believe it will ever change, it's part of my AS.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm

I wish I had a robot or something with me all the time that makes all my decisions for me and looks after me. I'm living independently, but I don't think I have the natural ability to do so.

roosef
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

My boyfriend is diagnosed borderline and undiagnosed ADHD. He's incredibly impulsive with money and doesn't really think money is important. Sometimes I find I have to step into the financial part of being an adult which is ok with me because I worked in a bank for 3 years and like numbers, etc. That being said, I won't remember to brush my teeth unless someone tells me to. It's incredibly hard for me to lead an adult life. He has to generally look after me and clean up after me, make sure I eat etc. Which is why I think I chose the film industry for a career because I can be responsible for a few days and is easier to interact with people in that situation. When I get into my horrible anxiety about how I'm not good at being an adult some friends try to tell me that everyone is a mess and ask me what a "normal adult" actually is.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

I've discussed on similar thread a few months ago how I am 49 years old, a college graduate, and I have a high-responsibility job, but I feel like I'm just playing grown-up. It feels to me like at some point it's going to end, mercifully, and someone will rush in to take care of my life for me because being on my own is a constant struggle.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Feb 2013, 9:35 pm

I picked rarely/rarely but I have to admit I don't really know what "role as an adult" means. I do know that I have a lot of difficulties with expectations and assumptions, and people tend to take me as younger - sometimes much younger - than I actually am.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm

No to both, I have no idea what to do with myself...though I don't feel I had much of a childhood really since most of it was spent worrying about everything because of anxiety and feeling like crap because of depression and constantly trying to be responsible for things at home because there was arguing a lot and I somehow got it in my head I could 'fix' it....In reality I couldn't and if anything had no effect or made it worse at least for myself by getting involved in the arguing.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:43 am

Rarely to both. I always had this idea that adulthood bestowed infinite wisdom, and the knowledge to handle every situation. Still waiting... :lol:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:53 am

I'd say that it is both comfortable and uncomfortable in different ways.

Abnormal would be not growing up.

NeuroticDragoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2013, 2:31 am

I don't find it comfortable because I can't decide for myself. When I have so much to choose as to which die to roll, I have a singular die that I always use. I get stressed out when I get asked "what should we watch tonight?" or "what do you want for supper?" I just start to get panicked.

Is it natural? Definitely not. Why should someone start to act differently because of a number assigned to them?

TommyGun991
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2013, 3:53 am

Well, no. Because I'm expected to marry, raise kids, work a job or two, etc. I don't intend to marry and I don't intend to bust my ass working. That's what bothers me, so many people seem bothered by this stance of mine and they condemn me for it. I don't even want an adult role, I'm quite satisfied with working 8 hours a day and coming home to my computer.

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2013, 4:32 am

I started my treatments on Friday for Asperger's. I told the Therapist that while I function as an adult, I often don't feel like one. She told me that this is normal for most people.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 4:44 am

I'm 36, I've been an adult for quite a while now. What that means to me is that I have a job and pay my rent and bills and buy my own groceries and my apartment is kitted out semi-appropriately (it's kind of beige, with weird paintings... done by me... It's my house I can put up my artwork if I like!)
For a very long time I lived with roommates and/or boyfriends. I'm absolutely pleased to live alone now.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 6:46 am

Seems like that is the basic 'problem' about autism...not growing up "properly" in the sense of participating in life the way most people would expect...

Is this due to being too absorbed in one's true interests instead of the "usual adult life" which might seem boring? Or more because of social difficulties?...just wondering...the ability to do what one is "supposed to do" seems to not be fully present.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 6:54 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I've discussed on similar thread a few months ago how I am 49 years old, a college graduate, and I have a high-responsibility job, but I feel like I'm just playing grown-up. It feels to me like at some point it's going to end, mercifully, and someone will rush in to take care of my life for me because being on my own is a constant struggle.

When you are not "playing grown-up" what age do you feel like being?

I believe you should feel like being about 32,5 years old, but maybe you actually feel younger than that?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:00 am

qawer wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:

When you are not "playing grown-up" what age do you feel like being?

I believe you should feel like being about 32,5 years old, but maybe you actually feel younger than that?

Very interesting question. I suppose if I did not need to act like an adult and take responsibility for myself, I would be in my teens (15, maybe). I think that is where the level of emotional and social development is right now.