Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2013, 9:50 pm

I have a lot of friends who are into video games. I know a lot of people with autism are into video games too. However I suck at a lot of them. The hardest ones for me are the first person games and fighting games. Theres too many buttons on the new games too. I think for me its a coordination problem as well as difficulty paying attention. Im not so bad at the older games or adventure games and rpgs that dont require fast reactions. I dont like the wii-mote either. Its very frusteration.
Anyways Im wondering if its just me or if this is an asperger trait. Does anyone else have trouble with videogames?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Feb 2013, 9:52 pm

I think depending on the genre I can be really bad at them.

spagheddie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm

I'm really terrible at most video games. Most of the people I associate with tend to play some first person shooters, and Im always the first one to die. I even bought a new first person shooter game that no one else had so I could get good at it, and then invited them over and they completely obliterated me as if I wasn't even trying. I stopped playing those games after that.

I do seem to be quite good at aerial dog-fighting type games though other people cant stand to watch me play because my flying makes them nauseous. Its weird, because I would think someone good at a first person shooter would be good at an aerial dog-fighting shooter game... but apparently not.

Im also quite good at racing games. Some of the Need for Speed games other people cant seem to get through, and Ive played them through without any problem.

Maybe its the type of video game. Try something else.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

24 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

I think, for me, it's related to NVLD. I'm actually horrific at most nerd activities (and most activities in general), which is maybe why I don't have any friends. How about you, OP?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm

Yes, definitely. Particularly I am hopeless in racing games. I keep going out of the course. It's very embarrassing. So I never play games with people any more or even by myself recently. I agree that it must be related to the coordination problem of AS that some of us have. In real life I cannot drive a car because it's too overwhelming for me though I managed to get a license. Any games that require quick responses seem to be difficult for me.

sackcoat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm

I've always had trouble with video games. I occasionally like to play them, though I admittedly don't own a system of any kind on which to play them. I guess I enjoy them more by myself, not being obliterated by an opponent. I also don't have the attention span for any of the RPG type games and I never got into first person shooters. Every time I play a "Grand Theft Auto" type game I just end up randomly causing havoc and doing stupid stuff -- I never actually play the game.

I prefer board games. I like Risk, but I shudder to actually ask someone to devote that much time to playing a game with me. My wife and I typically just opt for a game of Scrabble and put our vocabularies to use.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 11:57 pm

Yeah, I suck at video games too....and at using technology. What kind of aspie am I? :lol:

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2013, 1:04 am

I suck at some video games "naturally", and i am good at some video games. The video games i suck at are similar to you Fighting, first person shooters(online mode), and to a degree sports games. What i mean by "naturally" is that these games require fast responses in real time pretty much and i have trouble responding to things fast. I am good at RPGS, because i can go at my own pace and know what to expect. I am not sure if it is an asperger thing or not at sucking at the type of video games that i suck at.

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2013, 9:48 am

I am awesome at video games. Especially shooters. I have won every halo game on the highest difficulty of legendary. Some of the things I'm best at are listening to the environment when playing shooters which helps in multilayer matches because I an here where people are and the weapons their using. I'm also great at button mashing, I have amazed people with the speed at which I can press buttons on the controller. If my autism hinders my game play, I don't see it.

"Therefore, let every one that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come." Jonathan Edwards

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

I'm not into video games so much anymore but did like multi-player first person shooter games. I won an international competition in one game that was the most popular in the genre at the time.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

I'm decent at most auto racing games however my strenghs are at playing games with analog controls(driving with the keyboard arrows etc.), my 1/2 brothers got a Wii and I can't for the life of me figure out the motion controllers and have to set it up the old analog way if its an option then I can compete with adverage sucess. They tell me I hold the controller all wrong, making the signal fail, wrong angle, I suppose its one of my aspie things due to poor cordination.

I do well in a real race car so I don't know, I think part of the issue is I can't feel the video game car and I drive by feel maybe more so then others. I once modifyed a pedal system for my pc with a large spring under the brake pedal to make it feel like the pressure a real one would have, picked up a full second a lap. Alot can be gained by knowing how to set up the controllers in the games configureation stage. I hate digital and digital hates me with a passion, analog for ever!

What I don't get also is how people can talk and race at the same time, I can hardly drive in these games yet when I raced online people were talkin' non stop. Remember its just a game.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

I love videogames and am quite good at the ones I obsess over. My best friend (also an Aspie) and I would get quite competetive in Smash Bros.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:36 am

I haven't been able to keep up with games since the old NES ones were out. The new ones are amazing, but make me dizzy and disoriented. I stick to Sims, Animal Crossing and online hidden object games--nothing exciting.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:45 am

I like playing videogames. My only problem is that I'm addicted to cheating but I don't care. There are some games where I don't have to cheat nor need to cheat but there aren't that many.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

Oh for f sake how can it be related to Asperger's Syndrome?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

I never could get into video games: not only am I simply not interested in them, I find the whole using buttons to simulate actions that would be done totally differently in reality (firing a gun, jumping, using a sword, etc.) quite difficult for my brain to interpret. I'll just stick to good, old-fashioned tabletop RPGs.