Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2013, 4:51 pm

My special interests- or more the thought of them ending- makes me very anxious. I have three main problems with it!
1) I won't allow myself to do something I might get too attatched to and might become a new interest ie read!
2) I worry about what my friends will think of me if my next interest is stronger and too childish.
3) I feel down and unmotivated when I'm having one of those days-or weeks- when my interest isn't so strong.

Does anyone else feel any of these things? Does anyone know how to help- I can't spend the rest of my life this way!

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

PixieXW wrote:
My special interests- or more the thought of them ending- makes me very anxious. I have three main problems with it!
1) I won't allow myself to do something I might get too attatched to and might become a new interest ie read!
2) I worry about what my friends will think of me if my next interest is stronger and too childish.
3) I feel down and unmotivated when I'm having one of those days-or weeks- when my interest isn't so strong.

Does anyone else feel any of these things? Does anyone know how to help- I can't spend the rest of my life this way!

i have number 3 as a problem thats is actually happpening at the moment, i have just lost a special interest about 2 months ago and nothing has really been as strong since, it makes me feel anxious, low and lost if that makes sense. and about your friends if they are really friends they wont care about it, i had 6 months magic obsession where i took magic cards to colllgee and kept doing magic tricks on them but they found it endearing more than anything. :D , i dont really think you should avoid things you might like, it makes life very boring and there is nothing wrong with getting attatched to things.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 6:30 pm

PixieXW wrote:

1)Make your special interest Being Happy & not anxious, then you'll do whatever it is at the time that accomplishes this for you w/o worry about whether you'll become attached to it or not. If it continues to make you happy, keep doing it. If and when it doesn't & something else does, switch.

2) Who cares what your friends, or anyone else, thinks of your special interest?? If it's watching childrens' cartoons or building with legos & it makes you happy, whoopeedoo who cares what anyone else thinks of it so long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else. In fact, I'd say it would be immature of them to be negatively judgemental about you doing something that made you happy and less anxious. Don't let what others may or may not think dictate what you do for fun. If it's dancing, and they think dancing is for little girls, dane away - who cares. If it's singing, or painting, or reading comic books, or playing with my little ponies or hotwheels cars or hoola-hooping or _________ & you enjoy it, why does it matter what anyone else thinks of it?

3) That happens to everyone. Big deal. It'll pass, and you'll be interested in it again or in something else that makes you happy.

Guaranteed there are people in my life that think some of my special interests are geeky, immature, not worth the time & money I invest in them and so on and so forth... but does that prevent me from enjoying them? Nope! Not one iota. I couldn't care less what they think about what I like. Besides, there are others - mostly NT - that share some of my special interests and so when we get together to do what we do it's pretty awesome and I never think even for a moment "oh gee, I wonder what so and so in my life thinks about how much time & money I've spent on this or what they'd think of me if they were here right now to see me doing this." F 'em, it's not their life & it my happiness is not dependant on their approval of how I spend my time. 8)