Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

what do you think is the hardest thing about having aspergers? for me its having a hard time understanding things and socializing. What is it for you?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

njones0100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

Alienation from the rest of the world. Social isolation.

In a lot of ways, I think I'm better off alone. Anything beyond the most basic of social interactions is torture for me. But, of course, I have the same needs as anyone else. They just go unfulfilled. It can be hard, having no emotional support. And it's definitely lonely, but having anyone to share your life with.

I find is best not to think about it. To do whatever is necessary to distract your mind from the pain. I think the key is not taking anything for granted, and enjoying all the precious little things. I've learned too accept myself, all my faults included, strive to be the best me I can be, and love myself unconditionally.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

i guess wanting friends and not being able to make them, its hard to say that its 'hard' on me because ive been through it all my life so its not really hard, its just the norm.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

mine is being treated like i'm stupid. my parents think that i can't do something without having someone "working" with me to help me with everyday things. instead of seeing if i can do it on my own first, they got me a couple "support" workers.

this started before i even moved out on my own for the first time. i still lived at home till June of 2012 so my parents assumed that i wasn't able to do anything. but know that live on my own in my own place. they like i can't take care of myself. they think i need help with budgeting, cleaning, etc.

instead of trusting me in doing things on my own, they wanted me to have someone come in and help with everyday things. i am 25 years old and i can talk care of myself. life is hard and learning stuff isnt going to happen overnight.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Knowing that on top of all the problems we face, we're for some unknown reason forced to live in isolation of eachother.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

thank god for square pegs aspie meetups! :)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

Definitely the social aspect of it. I always end up being an outcast wherever I go. People treat me very unkindly and rudely. It's even affecting my promotion etc at work. Some people even try to sabotage my work to make me look bad. So it's affecting me in a personal sense (feeling lonely etc) and in a practical sense (difficulty in getting a job, and unnecessarily interfering with my work once I get one and making workplace unnecessarily stressful etc). I have already accepted that I will be a loner all my life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

it is a lot more peaceful being a hermit out in the woods. but i force myself to attend weekly aspie meetups in olympia, washington, at evergreen state college. i feel it is my duty to my fellow aspies to break bread with them and be their buddy.

supernewf709
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm

I very much dislike how I repeat things in my head hundreds even thousands of times. Usually songs or I can repeat a conversation over and over(usually a conflict) or even just a few seconds of a song. More frequently than I'd like the song is one I do not even like!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

^^^
with that in mind, i'm sure glad that the song "don't worry- be happy!" NEVER repeats in my head. :lol:

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

The hardest part is people don't understand me. My family thought all my problems were my fault. I got criticism instead of understanding from my parents. I reacted to their criticism by crying and shutting down. I couldn't talk to them and tell them what was wrong, I could only cry, even when they demanded that I talk to them.
My whole life was like this. People don't understand me or they expect me to know things that I don't know or they make assumptions about me and expect me to be someone I am not.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

for me, the hardest part is trying to have intelligent conversations with people who are so governed by their emotions and competitive instincts that they cannot make rational sense. then they convolute their point over and over again in the conversation, and when i get frustrated with their social gaming they twist the focus of any disagreement they've caused by being irrational to make me seem as if i'm the one not making sense. usually this is followed by the mystical proclamation that i am angry....which in turn angers me.

Downtown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2013, 1:47 am

Lack of social skills.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2013, 1:57 am

Probably the obsessiveness with routine, the anxiety caused by poor social experiences in the past, the lonliness due to avoiding social contact and the sensory issues. Sensory issues are a big one.

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2013, 2:09 am

I'll also vote social isolation. I'm slowly learning social skills but the lessons are often interrupted with embarrassing, unpleasant encounters that keep playing in my mind and I'm having a hard time just staying motivated to keep at it.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:41 am

How much of a hard time I give myself over things. I analise things to a minute degree then eventually come to the conclusion that somehow I messed up.